Keel - Keel Self Titled CD Identification

...and all CD issues goes here.
Elvenking
Posts: 14

Keel - Keel Self Titled CD Identification

Post#1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:36 am

Does anyone know how to positively identify a real Keel Self Titled CD? There are images on discogs...

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=2553224

...but if those are the real deal...then all the ones going for 60 bucks plus on ebay are boots. Can someone help clear the air? Thanks.

User avatar
MetalDelight
Posts: 166
Contact:

Post#2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:14 am

Just remember that discogs is not necessarily complete.
Though I don't know in this specific case, there might be legit versions that are not on discogs.

Elvenking
Posts: 14

Post#3 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:48 am

MetalDelight wrote:Just remember that discogs is not necessarily complete.
Though I don't know in this specific case, there might be legit versions that are not on discogs.


I would be fine with the idea that discogs might be missing some variations. However, I am just wondering if images of bootlegs make it up on discogs and if this is such a case.

Helstar
Posts: 2006

Re: Keel - Keel Self Titled CD Identification

Post#4 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:07 am

Discogs entries are made by normal users. So we could even see naked women pics instead of cds scans :) it's not a 100% safe place to look, obviously.

Elvenking wrote:...but if those are the real deal...then all the ones going for 60 bucks plus on ebay are boots. Can someone help clear the air? Thanks.

Where are you seeing those prices ? Anyway, the only REALLY suspicious one I found is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEEL-SAME-CD-ME ... 1228582225

But maybe MCA made several pressings in different manufacturing plants... who knows.
Notice this one, it looks different than discogs scan too http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEEL-Keel-1987- ... 1334913189

Elvenking
Posts: 14

Re: Keel - Keel Self Titled CD Identification

Post#5 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:37 pm

Helstar wrote:Discogs entries are made by normal users. So we could even see naked women pics instead of cds scans :) it's not a 100% safe place to look, obviously.

Elvenking wrote:...but if those are the real deal...then all the ones going for 60 bucks plus on ebay are boots. Can someone help clear the air? Thanks.

Where are you seeing those prices ? Anyway, the only REALLY suspicious one I found is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEEL-SAME-CD-ME ... 1228582225

But maybe MCA made several pressings in different manufacturing plants... who knows.
Notice this one, it looks different than discogs scan too http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEEL-Keel-1987- ... 1334913189



Here are a few listings which all look different from the discogs in the ebay section down the page:

http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamc ... DName=Keel


The more I look into it. It looks like that one up on discogs is a boot. Because virtually all the MCA pressed discs I look up have a diffused band around the center ring and it's not left shinny.

User avatar
Stormspell
Posts: 2302
Contact:

Re: Keel - Keel Self Titled CD Identification

Post#6 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:22 am

Elvenking wrote:Does anyone know how to positively identify a real Keel Self Titled CD? There are images on discogs...

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=2553224

...but if those are the real deal...then all the ones going for 60 bucks plus on ebay are boots. Can someone help clear the air? Thanks.


A common clunker like KEEL S/T fetches $60 on eGay, wow, the world is trully coming to an end, LMAO!

Helstar
Posts: 2006

Post#7 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:30 am

Again, I don't know where you guys are seeing these prices... an unsold 60$ auction doesn't make it automatically a 60$ cd, you have to see completed (possibly open and not "buy it now") auctions.

User avatar
Grimlord
Posts: 89

Post#8 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:19 pm

after 5 hours of searching through my shit for you (fucking hell I had to be sure mine was original lol!) I've managed to find my original (and another crappy boot as well/different from that one on discogs). The discogs photo looks like a more recent boot. I got an older boot and the original made in Japan for the US. There's also a US made re-issue with different barcode and a completely different looking Japan press with OBI. The legit copy has the matrix code stenciled into the ring - it's almost engraved if you know what I mean. It was made in Japan in the 80s and if you know how those CDs look and feel, you can see exactly that the one on discogs is probably fake...
Image

Elvenking
Posts: 14

Post#9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:23 am

Grimlord wrote:after 5 hours of searching through my shit for you (fucking hell I had to be sure mine was original lol!) I've managed to find my original (and another crappy boot as well/different from that one on discogs). The discogs photo looks like a more recent boot. I got an older boot and the original made in Japan for the US. There's also a US made re-issue with different barcode and a completely different looking Japan press with OBI. The legit copy has the matrix code stenciled into the ring - it's almost engraved if you know what I mean. It was made in Japan in the 80s and if you know how those CDs look and feel, you can see exactly that the one on discogs is probably fake...


Hhahahha. Thanks for doing that. Yeah, I suspected as much. And I didn't mean to say that the ones on ebay were selling for that much, just that folks were trying to fetch pretty high amounts for genuine copies. I figured that one on discogs was fake though, the font on the inner ring just screams boot.

Elvenking
Posts: 14

Post#10 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:44 am

Helstar wrote:Again, I don't know where you guys are seeing these prices... an unsold 60$ auction doesn't make it automatically a 60$ cd, you have to see completed (possibly open and not "buy it now") auctions.


Guys are LISTING them and they would go for those prices is someone was crazy enough to shell out the cash for these guys who appear to have a genuine copy of the disc. Some are up at 80+ bucks. Such is the world of guys on ebay pricing shit to hang on to it. I was looking for a more reasonable deal and found one with a few less pictures than I usualy like, but the bidding was right and the seller appeared on the level as well, so I went ahead and got it for about 25 bucks. (The seller is taking it back BTW) Anyway, when I got the thing, I could see it's ghastly-assed bootleg hanging out all over the fuckin' floor in the form of a funky font on the center ring, and subpar printing process on the inserts. Namely the purplish ink made in place of black for these printers that simply mix the colors to make black instead of print using black ink. This ink sticks out particularly in the copying of the bar code. They just never look as sharp in a copy, the ink is not as deep black, and it is pixelated. Cheesy. So I am sending this one back. The one in discogs looks like this one I have. My search for a reasonably priced one continues. And yes, I like this old cheesy glam metal along with thrash, speed metal and other types. :)

Return to “CD collector heaven!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests