Alarm (Czech) - Rock n Roll v patách CD ???

...and all CD issues goes here.
jnfernal

Alarm (Czech) - Rock n Roll v patách CD ???

Post by jnfernal »

I've seen that Underground Records from Czech Republic recentely reprinted this not-too-bad album in a digipack format:

http://ugr.webnode.cz/products/alarm-ro ... tach-1990/

Now, do you know if it is a silver printed CD or a pro-printed CD-r?

Because, as far as I know, the only silver printed CD is the Titanic "Metal Celebration" (only disc 1, as disc 2 is a cd-r)

Plus, I've seen also this other CD:

Denet: Oslavy zla Demo 1990 remastered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENET-Oslavy-zl ... 53f8fd4bb5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENET-Oslavy-zl ... 5d3f24f091

Sold for very high prices but with no info but it's another Underground Records release.

Now, as UGR Records seems not very intended to reply to my questions ("CD or CDr?"), do you know what titles are on silver printed CD?

Because there's a looooong list, both in their catalogue and in distro that deserve to be known: Alarm, Atomic, Denet, Editor, Exhaustor, Krabathor, Tormentor....
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

I'm sure that Titanic's "Metal celebration" Double CD's are both CDR's because my CD #1 had a burn error just like it appears if you burn your CD's by yourself. Also the second CD looks identically to CD #1 so wether they are both CDR's or both official CD's which I doubt as I have a ton of these re-release CD's and there's no real CD among yet.
Denet was even their first release I guess, cheap looking paper home printed cover with only print on 1 side and CD is a CDR with sticker. Besides the demo there are 2 Bonus trax on it from 2009.

To deal with the guy is almost impossible, I don't know how he gets rid off his shit but if you don't know a czech friend you won't succeed. And even then it takes months till you get your stuff or even a simple reply ... :cry:
If he'd finally start to become a serious business man he could sell his CD's to the whole world as he has some killer stuff in his catalogue.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Thanx for the answer....eh, a few years ago I was in contact with the guy behind the label and I was able to get Abax, Sax, Zelezna Nedele, Assesor and others...

I can confirm that the "Metal Celebration" is a CD+CDr. At least my CD 1 copy is original and on the written side there is barcode and matrix runout 9014801, while the bonus CD is clearly a CD-r

Eh, I was quite interested in this Alarm reissue...I've seen it's in digipack like their latest releases but I really have no idea about the CD....I guess it's a CDr as nobody on internet carries them....
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

I won't deal with the guy anymore as last time it took almost 5 months till I got my shit. I have all Alarm vinyls so I fortunately don't need the CDR ...

You're right there is a barcode on the CD 1 but how can a burn error on a pro pressed CD?? I never ever had that yet ... faszinating
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Prowler wrote:I won't deal with the guy anymore as last time it took almost 5 months till I got my shit. I have all Alarm vinyls so I fortunately don't need the CDR ...

You're right there is a barcode on the CD 1 but how can a burn error on a pro pressed CD?? I never ever had that yet ... faszinating
I've actually seen CD-Rs with barcodes in the matrix area. If you could provide a scan of the play side of that CD I can see if it really is a CD-R or not.

If it turns out to be a silver CD it could be that the source CD was a CD-R and the burn error was in that, which means every reproduced copy of that CD will have the exact same error.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Prowler wrote:You're right there is a barcode on the CD 1 but how can a burn error on a pro pressed CD?? I never ever had that yet ... faszinating
Pressing flaws. CDs made in crappy plants will sometimes have these problems, I have a few Areadeath releases I bought brand new that don't play properly because they're cheap shitty discs.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

I can provide a scan of the disk today, so you can check. It looks like a factory pressed CD to me.
In any case, you can find the official CD reissue by the band itself....it's where I bought "Abel" but they have also re-released "Metal Celebration"
Shimrod

Post by Shimrod »

It clearly does not look like a CDr to me.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

yes, and it looks almost exactly to the "Abel" 20th anniversary CD reissue made by the band. I don't have the "Metal celebration" single CD reissued by the band, so I don't know what to sau about it. But this CD on UGR looks like the back of "Abel" CD that I have.

Now, both albums were remastered and reissued by the band itself and sold through their webstore. Maybe Underground Records took some copies of "Metal Celebration" and released it without the band's consent. I don't know.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

As Shimrod said, that CD is not a CD-R. I find that quite odd.

How realistic would it be that this label took CDs from the band and "re-painted" them?

There's a label called Rock Empire Music Entertainment Co. in Taiwan that buys deadstock of CDs, re-make parts of the cover set (usually only back cover) and makes an OBI for it, and then calls it their own release. The point is that the CDs themselves are exactly the same CD as you would get with the original "source" release. Because this label (who's every release is like this) doesn't "re-paint" the CD.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

it may be possible, yes. I wouldn't be surprised
Milos

Re: Alarm (Czech) - Rock n Roll v patách CD ???

Post by Milos »

Hi all.
you are right, many of UGR releases are CD-r format, although the guy keeps saying that they are regular CDs. Selling them usually quite expensive...

Francesco, do not expect a true answer from him. Actually, do not expect any answer as he speaks no english at all.

Yes, he makes some attractive titles, but not many people care because of his attitude, communication and really bad reputation (yes!!!).

As for the Titanic, some people say this, some people say that. But nobody has both discs CD, at least one is always a Cd-r. I have heard that when the band saw the "quality" they decided to stop the cooperation, and to release the stuff themselves. But I dont know (and dont want to know) all the story behind.

To Prowler: you are right, you need someone here (in CZE) to deal with him. Some people asked me, but I already refused to do this. Because that guy is unpredictible... and from the outside it seemed that I am the idiot who took money and sent nothing or sent a CD-r. Especially do not order on cash-on-delivery. Because he promises to send for a certain price, then he send it for more... so I have to ask for additional money from the people who ordered it... and at the end there is a CD-r.

Yes, I agree, he "released" some very good music which deserves to be made properly. Maybe even on vinyl.. but I am not sure how many copies of old Czech metal are possible to sell (I run a vinyl label, so I know... maybe CDs are easier to sell, I dont know).

I agree with Prowler (and many others who I spoke to) not to deal with him anymore, unless you are willing to wait long for your expensive CD-r...
jnfernal

Re: Alarm (Czech) - Rock n Roll v patách CD ???

Post by jnfernal »

Milos wrote:
I have heard that when the band saw the "quality" they decided to stop the cooperation, and to release the stuff themselves. But I dont know (and dont want to know) all the story behind.

Yes, I agree, he "released" some very good music which deserves to be made properly. Maybe even on vinyl.. but I am not sure how many copies of old Czech metal are possible to sell (I run a vinyl label, so I know... maybe CDs are easier to sell, I dont know).

I remember it took a lot of time to deal with him - thanx to google translator, moreover - and something was missing: 1 CD and 1 back tray for sure.

In any case the story behind Titanic seems reasonable. As I have the 2nd album, "Abel" bought and released by the band itself, I can say the layout, graphic, printing, even paper quality is the same as the other album on UR...so I can easily image that the band kept doing everything by itself

As for czech metal...well, who knows...I think there is a market for some particular stuff. Titanic, Kreyson, Drakar, Master's Hammer, Torr, Debustrol....the most original releases can sell well.
Then - this is my opinion - there are also a lot of too generic releases such as Tublatanka or Citron (with the exception of the "Radegast" album that is amazing!) that do not add anything to the metal production...I have them but to be honest I couldn't even listen to the whole records. I recentely ordered the Metalinda box set but just for a matter of collection. I can't say it's a mandatory release.
But in general it's the same old story: the more you go on with time, the more obscure releases you re-release on CD/Vinyl being the most famous/appealing already and previously released.
Once the big names are re-re-re-re-released, of course you start choosing the second lines and later even third lines, expecially from those countries where metal production wasn't that big such as USA, Germany, UK, Sweden...sometimes labels dig out real gems and surprises, sometimes you really understand why some albums were never re-released and went into oblivion for so many years...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Well, after checking his news list I convinced my czech pal to do another huge order and well, same shit! We are waiting since 3 weeks for the promised shit. He said he shipped the stuff like usual but since 3 weeks nothing in sight! And now I feel bad coz my czech pal has pre-financed the whole crap. I hope that after 3 months he'll get the stuff as usual otherwise I'll have to pay him for the money that he's lost due to my ignorance. I just can urge everyone to be careful when ordering from UG Records! That isn't fun ... :(