Massive 'Running Wild - Gates To Purgatory CD' help needed!

...and all CD issues goes here.
Warepire

Massive 'Running Wild - Gates To Purgatory CD' help needed!

Post by Warepire »

When I was going to listen to this CD yesterday I noticed something I didn't earlier, my booklet has staples in it, but no pages. This puzzled me so I started trying to find out if my booklet was incomplete or if someone had "fixed" a different booklet to work this this release. Now things got even more puzzling.

This is the entry I made on Musik-Sammler for my copy when I got it, it should contain all information needed related to this problem: http://www.musik-sammler.de/media/557081

So I started looking around for sales of my CD, and found out 2 recorded sales of it.
http://archiwumallegro.pl/running_wild_ ... 80575.html
and
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/r ... -154752097

Now, first recorded sale states a barcode, I don't have that!
The second one shows me that there are not supposed to be any pages in the booklet (no staples) [Open the full size image]

There is also this Discogs entry that mentions a variation 2 with my matrix, but with a barcode!
http://www.discogs.com/Running-Wild-Gat ... ase/811556

Does anyone here own a copy with the same matrix as I have? (GZ E72616 NCD 001, which can also be seen on the MS entry)
I would love to see pictures of the booklet and back cover of this pressing from everyone who has it.
I am fairly certain that I have a "home assembly", but I would like to know for sure. I can take pictures of my CD, booklet and back cover if necessary.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

So the concern here is just regarding the booklet itself? As I'm sure you can tell by the musik sammler entries this CD has been re-pressed several times. I'm not sure on the specifics of the booklet you have but for example, I have had several early copies of the "Branded And Exiled" CD which has also seen several re-pressings and many of them had slight variations to the booklet. Either way, I think it's a safe bet that if a booklet has staples and no inside pages that they have gone missing somewhere down the line. Otherwise it would just be a single page folded insert.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

You missed the point completely.
All other copies I can find that has been sold and with this matrix proves that the booklet is not supposed to have staples = booklet does not belong to this press originally. Also all other sales list a barcode number for a copy with the matrix I have = my back cover does not belong to this pressing either.
I assume I have a "home assembly" (covers come from one or two presses, and the CD from a different press).

This is why I would like to see photos from as many as possible that own the press with this matrix, so I can make statistics for what is most likely the proper combination. (I am expecting one combination to have 90+% representation). I have no interest in owning something that is not proper nor complete.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Here's the problem, most guys around here collecting CD's will only have the first pressing of the disc and that is the copy with the "CDT-BERLIN" matrix prefix. That being said you aren't going to find a large enough set of statistics to prove either point and even if you did, the booklet itself has staples without any additional pages. The staples were put there to hold in additional pages and these pages are no longer existent. Even if your copy isn't put together from 2 or 3 different pressings in the end it's still not complete.

From what I know about your copy, this is a re-press from the mid 90’s. The “GZ” matrix prefix indicates that it’s from the pressing plant out of the Czech Republic and all of these CD’s on the Noise label were re-pressings. The reason why I compared your copy to a “Branded And Exiled” disc that I had was because these later re-pressings did have an additional set of pages put into the booklet that is otherwise identical to the first press except it contained a merchandise advertisement/order form for releases put out around the same time the CD was pressed (mid 90’s).
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I know that most of the people here are obsessed with first pressings. But I am certain every has a couple of non-first pressings too for various reasons. Is your ENTIRE collection made up of first pressings? I think not.
What I wanted to know is what this pressing is SUPPOSED to look like in terms of number of pages in the booklet and layout of the back cover. 4-5 owners is enough if they all are the same, "home assemblies" do not happen THAT often.
I already know mine is not complete, I never said it was nor that I was hoping it would be.

I was already aware that it is not the first press, and I already knew it was made in the Czech Republic. You could have seen this in 3 seconds if you had opened the Musik-Sammler link I added.
There are re-pressings also of Gates To Purgatory that contain extra pages with information about the Noise-catalog, there was no need to bring up another album as an example, that just made things messier for no reason.

But forget it, you seem to know already what everyone else owns.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Most likely this was once in a used CD shop that had different pressings and the discs got swapped. I know most shops here in the US keep the actual discs behind the counter, separate from the cases, and it would be easy to mix up if there were multiple copies.
Osmi_Putnik

Post by Osmi_Putnik »

Avenger wrote:Here's the problem, most guys around here collecting CD's will only have the first pressing of the disc and that is the copy with the "CDT-BERLIN" matrix prefix. That being said you aren't going to find a large enough set of statistics to prove either point and even if you did, the booklet itself has staples without any additional pages. The staples were put there to hold in additional pages and these pages are no longer existent. Even if your copy isn't put together from 2 or 3 different pressings in the end it's still not complete.

From what I know about your copy, this is a re-press from the mid 90’s. The “GZ” matrix prefix indicates that it’s from the pressing plant out of the Czech Republic and all of these CD’s on the Noise label were re-pressings. The reason why I compared your copy to a “Branded And Exiled” disc that I had was because these later re-pressings did have an additional set of pages put into the booklet that is otherwise identical to the first press except it contained a merchandise advertisement/order form for releases put out around the same time the CD was pressed (mid 90’s).
Avenger, are you shure that CDT-Berlin is very 1st CD press of Gates...?
I just wonder...what's about MAGNA W,GERMANY + something, somewhere i noticed that this is 1st press, maybe is "vicious rumor" :o , just wanna your oppinion
daniel

Post by daniel »

I understood Avenger's reply as most likely solving the issue, so didn't understand the weird, hostile response to it.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Osmi_Putnik wrote:
Avenger wrote:Here's the problem, most guys around here collecting CD's will only have the first pressing of the disc and that is the copy with the "CDT-BERLIN" matrix prefix. That being said you aren't going to find a large enough set of statistics to prove either point and even if you did, the booklet itself has staples without any additional pages. The staples were put there to hold in additional pages and these pages are no longer existent. Even if your copy isn't put together from 2 or 3 different pressings in the end it's still not complete.

Avenger, are you shure that CDT-Berlin is very 1st CD press of Gates...?
I just wonder...what's about MAGNA W,GERMANY + something, somewhere i noticed that this is 1st press, maybe is "vicious rumor" :o , just wanna your oppinion
I'm positive. I've had probably a dozen of these CD's over the years. The "MAGNA" pressing is from 1989/1990. All other CD's pressed by this same plant on Noise were released around this time as is referenced by CD's such as the Tankard - "Alien" EP.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

daniel wrote:I understood Avenger's reply as most likely solving the issue, so didn't understand the weird, hostile response to it.
I thought I was being helpful but apparently not. My point was that a large sampling pool is really unnecessary granted that the booklet has staples and no additional pages. The staples wouldn’t be there if there was nothing for them to hold. The CD is incomplete and that's what he wanted to know. I answered his question.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Avenger wrote:
daniel wrote:I understood Avenger's reply as most likely solving the issue, so didn't understand the weird, hostile response to it.
I thought I was being helpful but apparently not. My point was that a large sampling pool is really unnecessary granted that the booklet has staples and no additional pages. The staples wouldn’t be there if there was nothing for them to hold. The CD is incomplete and that's what he wanted to know. I answered his question.
I know you were trying to help, but to me you came off as a bit of a smartass in the process. I'm sorry for my harshness if you had not intended that.
daniel

Post by daniel »

And that the missing pages are most likely merchandise ads.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

daniel wrote:And that the missing pages are most likely merchandise ads.
Yep. I know they are ads for other albums in the Noise catalog.

I would still like to find out what a "proper" copy of this pressing looks like. (In terms of number of pages in the booklet, barcode or not etc). More as a reference on what to look for than comparing to my copy right now.
wom

Post by wom »

Exactly how hard is to find the 1st press version?

i have been looking for quite some time and i only get offers for the print with GZ matrix (and no barcode)
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

wom wrote:Exactly how hard is to find the 1st press version?

i have been looking for quite some time and i only get offers for the print with GZ matrix (and no barcode)
Where have you been looking? I've seen many copies on ebay.