Non-urgent CD Inquiries (2012) READ THE FIRST POST

...and all CD issues goes here.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Are there two different pressings of Sacrifice "Forward to Termination" on Metal Blade/Restless?

Mine has the matrix code 722232 W.O.# 9032-1 MANUFACTURED IN U.S.A. BY LASERVIDEO INC. and looks like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sacrifice-For ... 7675.l2557

While this version seems to be a different deal with a different matrix and a different print on the cd:

Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

mordred wrote:Are there two different pressings of Sacrifice "Forward to Termination" on Metal Blade/Restless?

Mine has the matrix code 722232 W.O.# 9032-1 MANUFACTURED IN U.S.A. BY LASERVIDEO INC. and looks like this:

While this version seems to be a different deal with a different matrix and a different print on the cd:

Yes. Both are legit and no one can confirm which came first.

I posted a little bit about this just a few days ago when a similar question came up:
Avenger wrote:It was very common for Metal Blade to do several different pressings. See 'Forward To Termination", "Death & Insanity", "The Curse", "Awaken The Guardian", "Menace To Society", etc, etc.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
mordred

Post by mordred »

Thanks. My copy is for sale in case somebody is interested.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

If I were to make an educated guess based on other restless/metal blade CDs I'd say that Laservideo version is first. By looking at the CDs I have I've got the impression that Metal Blade started using the Nimbus plants later. For example their 1990 releases like Suffering Hour are on Nimbus, and Spectre Within from 1987 is on Laservideo.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Avenger wrote:Does anyone have the original self-released Zoser Mez - Vizier Of Wasteland CD from 1991?

I need a full scan or high quality picutre of the entire booklet for a comparison to mine.

Thanks in advance.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

I've had a nice chat with the Fringe guy (Ben), I guess these infos could help in the never-ending dispute Sacrifice "Fringe or Metal Blade".

The Sacrifice cds were repressed by Fringe many times, last time in 1998. The first pressing dates of each cd are:

Forward To Termination - April 6th 1988
Soldiers Of Misfortune - October 11th 1990
Torment In Fire - July 11th 1991
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

I find it hard to believe, gotta think about it some more. Both the 1988 and the 1998 dates.

Would that make Forward To Termination the only CD they released before 1990? Other albums originally released before 1990 had their CD editions in the 1990s (Slaughter, Disciples Of Power, Torment In Fire).

Did Disque Americ Canada press CDs in 1988 and 1998? All known Fringe releases have Disque Americ matrix.

Repressed many times... they would't be so rare had they continously repressed them for 10 years.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Those are his words ... plus he said Slaughter cd was pressed once, you gotta believe the guy (you have bought a cd from him lately, you can ask directly ! :D )
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

"Here is a deleted cd (original and NOT a cutout or repressing) by this classic Canadian thrash metal quartet. The LP was originally issued in 1987 and the cd was issued in the early 90's and is long sold out! This is NOT a reissue or copy but is an ORIGINAL FRINGE PRESSING and factory sealed."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sacrifice-Rare- ... 2a25d112af

Kind of confirms my words, doesn't it?
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

And ? Did you buy that cd ? Or did you ask him :) ?

It's not there is something in contradiction, you know... ok, maybe he's just trying to sell the cds better with that description, he has Sacrifice cds on auction since early ebay days, does he never run out xD ?

Here's what he said me: "The Sacrifice cd's were pressed many times of course, probably the last time was in 1998. The Slaughter Fringe CD was only pressed once and sold out very quickly, it was never repressed (officially) so there are very few legit Fringe copies out there. I have not personally seen one of the bootlegs but I've seen listings for copies which were obviously boots. The Razor cd's were pressed in large quantities and in several countries so a lot of legit copies are around"
Last edited by Helstar on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

I just quote the description in that listing. That's the same guy of course.
The Razor cd's were pressed in large quantities and in several countries so a lot of legit copies are around"
sorry but this is bullshit. Anyone who is interested in that CD knows that there is only one rare as hell Fringe edition made in Canada, and then the second half-legit hellion records version and a host of boots.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

What can I say, ask him. It's not he has them on selling either (the only cds left are those already listed), so it makes no sense for him to invent things... or maybe he just doesn't know/remember well ^^

But yes if Razor's were pressed so much, how come he ran out of them while Sacrifice's are still available ? That's a little contradiction :P
Coma

Post by Coma »

Heathen wrote: Did Disque Americ Canada press CDs in 1988 and 1998? All known Fringe releases have Disque Americ matrix.
For your information, Disque Americ stopped pressing CDs in February 2011. Therefore, yes, it is quite possible that they're behind pressings from 1988 and 1998 - they've been in business from 1987 I believe up until 2011.

http://www.lapresse.ca/la-tribune/econo ... portes.php

It's in French but a translator will help you understand.

As for Sacrifice being pressed numerous times, I wouldn't be surprised either. Of all Fringe CDs, "Soldiers of Misfortune" is the one I've seen most often. The Fringe owner seems to have an unlimited stock of them and he's been selling them on eBay for at least 10 years. They were also quite common in most Montreal second hand stores back in the late 90's.

As for Razor, it is also quite possible. Being from Canada probably helps, but I've seen quite a few in the past few years. I have no doubts that they may have been pressed in large quantities, the band was quite popular outside the country (much like Voivod) but not really appreciated within our borders. By saying "pressed in large quantities and in several countries", he probably meant the Hellion pressing as well.

That is the guy's own label, I guess he knows more about the CDs he pressed than we do ...
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

do you know any CD released after 1994 which has the same looking matrix as the Fringe CDs? There are plenty of them released 1990-1993, but I know none released after that.

As for the "Quite a few" CDs that you have seen in Canada - ask humus, he has seen "quite a few" Chemical Breath CDs for sale in Belgium over the years, and they were pressed in like 500-1000 quantities. So that can be misleading.

As for FTT - the guy himself once says its from 1988, other time that its from 1990s. Thats a proof he either does not remember well, or makes up things for fun.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Heathen wrote:I find it hard to believe, gotta think about it some more. Both the 1988 and the 1998 dates.

Would that make Forward To Termination the only CD they released before 1990? Other albums originally released before 1990 had their CD editions in the 1990s (Slaughter, Disciples Of Power, Torment In Fire).

Did Disque Americ Canada press CDs in 1988 and 1998? All known Fringe releases have Disque Americ matrix.

Repressed many times... they would't be so rare had they continously repressed them for 10 years.
I have to agree with heathen here. There was only one pressing.

Just because someone lives in the same city that the label was run out of back in the early 90's and they happened to pick up the dead stock after the label went defunct doesn't mean that they tell the truth or know what they are talking about.