Ripping Off THE CORROSEUM

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
Strappado

Post by Strappado »

having fun here? :twisted:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Strappado wrote:having fun here? :twisted:
I think the main flaw with your blog is that it's so impersonal. Take some lessons from bigfootkit and others and at least bother to write a line or 2 about what makes the bands & recordings special to you. There's hundreds of blogs like yours out there and a fancy wrapper doesn't really make it more interresting. Credits & sources would also be a good idea to include..
Strappado

Post by Strappado »

I can't say you are wrong becouse you're not! the thing is that I totally suck at English grammar and language, a english lesson wouldn't be a bad idea I think.. or just start to write the shit in Swedish?

I have tried many times to write a small review but it looked horrible, can't get that grammar right. I am also very impersonal as a person haha. :)

Sources are hard to provide when I often don't have a clue... thats the problem with Soulseek. People also send me stuff and claim it's their own rips... I would love to give credits but it's just a mess of sharing out there.. it's not so much I could do than just write "thanks to the original uploader".

If there is something that any of you guys have ripped on my blog feel free to say so and I will take it down.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Like Dan said, the main problem is that there many similar blogs out there. In fact the majority of metal blogs is done that way: name of the album - tracklist - rapidshare link - password, without any comment added from the uploader and a couple of posters saying "thank you" and "great". I have seen literally dozens of them that are like that while things are getting worse when you're also blatantly ripping off forum backrounds. If you simply want to share the stuff why don't you stay in Soulseek and save yourself from the trouble of uploading it twice? All of that stuff can be found one way or another either in TM or in Lockjaw or in Corroseum or some other forum/blog, it's not that your blog has the 'monopoly' of rare mp3s or anything. I am trying to think what could possibly satisfy me if I was the one that had your blog and frankly I can't find one good reason at all by the way it works now and having in mind the amount of time you need to upload all those albums I feel a bit :roll: Trying to add information and a review for each things you upload might not be a bad idea at all. Anyway, it's your blog and it's your free time that it's spent, if you feel alright the way it works now, fine by me. This thread was opened to say something about the 'corroseum similarities' and the fact that you did not give credit where it was due from the very beginning, the solutions to the artistic problems of your blog are something you have to find yourself.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

I have to give some credit to that blog, i found many interesting uploads of obscure bands, demos, singles, all kind of stuff, things that wasn't available at other blogs.

And when i made a request, he very quickly found two of them, one worked fine, the other contained a shortened version, that was a bit disappointing though.

And you shouldn't do uploads of stuff that is available/re-released like KRAKEN, THRUSTER, stuff like that. That can hurt the small underground labels like Arkeyn Steel, Stormspell and so forth.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Louise

Post by Louise »

and don't use megaupload - I like my theft to be easy ;)

mediafire is troo - ha ha
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Louise wrote:and don't use megaupload - I like my theft to be easy ;)

mediafire is troo - ha ha
:roll:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I hadn't seen this and I don't know if the Strappado guy still logs in, but my problem is that "donate" button that's there. You can see no such thing here on The Corroseum and I think that asking for donations when most of the content comes from elsewhere sucks. I don't have a problem with any of my uploads being shared in other sites, and I've also shared things that I found elsewhere. The problem for me is somebody making at least 1 buck out of it.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Cochino wrote:I hadn't seen this and I don't know if the Strappado guy still logs in, but my problem is that "donate" button that's there. You can see no such thing here on The Corroseum and I think that asking for donations when most of the content comes from elsewhere sucks. I don't have a problem with any of my uploads being shared in other sites, and I've also shared things that I found elsewhere. The problem for me is somebody making at least 1 buck out of it.
I'd like to think that the Corroseum would never sell out with ads and donations like many other forums seem to all too easily succumb to. If Dan ever were to come into financial problems which would jeopardize the website, I'm sure that other members (myself included) would chip in for the hosting fees, etc. to keep the place running.

The sad part about that blog is that the situation listed above isn’t even the problem. It’s sheer greed ala Trashmagaydon in which the guy running the place seems to think that they deserve to make profit on material that they don’t own the copyrights for.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Besides, blogspots sites don't have to pay a host so they don't even have that reason to ask for donations.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I always have financial problems! What kind of a lame excuse for a collector would I be if I didn't? :lol:

Seriously though, No - there will never be adds or a donate-button on the site or forum. My current cost is about €8 per month and even if that would triple in the future it would still be dirt-cheap considering all the fun I get out of it..
Strappado

Post by Strappado »

The donate button are not really necessery I agree. From the beginnig it was there for collecting money to buy some vinyls from the request list and share on the blog. I think I set a goal to collect like 50$ in a period of 6 months. This was like 1 year ago and I think I have collected 20$ from donations in total so far.

I don't run the blog to make any money, that's not what it's about. Every single penny are meant to buy stuff people requests, nothing else. To be honest I had almost forgot that button existed, well it will be removed right now.

You guys always seem to have something to complain about :) I wonder what the next thing will be. 8)
Last edited by Strappado on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Strappado

Post by Strappado »

Avenger wrote: The sad part about that blog is that the situation listed above isn’t even the problem. It’s sheer greed ala Trashmagaydon in which the guy running the place seems to think that they deserve to make profit on material that they don’t own the copyrights for.
Don't compare me with the Thrashmageddon assholes please. They charge money to even make it possible to access the download forums, or you have to upload a bunch of stuff they can lay there hands on and then kick you out and ban the shit out of you.

Can't say I have much in common with that site.
Last edited by Strappado on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Strappado

Post by Strappado »

:)
Strappado

Post by Strappado »

Cochino wrote:Besides, blogspots sites don't have to pay a host so they don't even have that reason to ask for donations.
Nah just to add extra space, and some dollars a month to the file-hosting sites. So I can't say I earn anything on running the blog, more of a loss of 10$ a month :) but that's okey with me! just like to trade and enjoy great music!.