80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
rumblefist

Re: 80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Post by rumblefist »

Thanks for the scans of Metal Massacre (zine from Belgium) released in 1985 and wrote in flemish (dutch) - interesting article on Axel ( i asked a translation to Stefaan Lambrecht, ex-guitar player) and Orkaan (another zine from Belgium) released in 1983 and also wrote in flemish (dutch). Just check that really old pic of Warlock on the demos section... 8)

Of course - this was just some first minutes view - i need to check it properly.

Metallian - already had.
Knowledge Is Power
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Mayhem Massacre looks great, I wish only it was written in english. That cover kicks so much ass...

Finished reading Screams From The Gutter this week. Short and sweet, with insightful reviews, coming from the days when people actually felt and understood what they were listening to. Well, at least to a convincing degree.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
humus

Post by humus »

Fucking ace! I've been wanting that Metal massacre zine for ages. Done by Jan Agathocles back when he was Jan Hellsaw. And nice issue of Metallian, have another here at home.
Will try to scan some of my Flemish zines. If anybody needs a rough translation of anything Dutch I can do that.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I mentioned it on the site but I guess some credits are needed here as well: Total Blur, Metallian and Mayhem Massacre was supplied by our old friend Levi.

4 more issues of Screams From The Gutter plus another issue of Sledgehammer just added. Links in news as usual.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote:
4 more issues of Screams From The Gutter
Fantastic! Many thanks to you and Metal Sam!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The POST MORTEM interview in SFTG #11... Sooooo much awesome sig material.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

DaN wrote:The POST MORTEM interview in SFTG #11... Sooooo much awesome sig material.
One of their gig posters had a pic of Rick Allen on it with the quote "I'd give my right arm to attend."
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Levi

Post by Levi »

DaN wrote:I mentioned it on the site but I guess some credits are needed here as well: Total Blur, Metallian and Mayhem Massacre was supplied by our old friend Levi.
Glad to be of service! Cool to have more people enjoy these old zines.
Nice avatar by the way ;)
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Rob/doomedplanet has done some awesome scanning-work for us, so now Metal Madness #6, #8, #9, #10, #11 and #12 + Necronomicon #2 and #3 has been added to the fanzine library. Hurrah!
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Thanks for all your scanning, Deepee!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Crap. Noticed an error in most of the MM slideshows. Will fix before the end of the day.

Edit: All fixed now.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I see you have a Metallian, I have one issue in English I can scan, which leads me to ask, do you want some Metal Rendez-vous issues too? It is more of a glossy and superficial affair compared to the great underground 'zines which is the focus.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Metallian issue sort of got added on the fly when I added some other Belgian zines. In retrospect it does seem to be a bit on the verge of the page concept. I wasn't aware it was that well known and had an English edition as well. I'll pass on more issues + Metal Rendez-vous for the time being. Still too many old, real d.i.y. products to concentrate on...
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I can't say it is well known but it isn't a fanzine really, so I was figuring it might be on the edge of interest.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Coming up in the next few updates will be the last of the 'zines I own.

One of those, INTENSITY, is a very obscure zine from Pasco, WA. This if the first fanzine I ever saw or knew existed, that is what you get living in the middle of fucking nowhere in the 80's. I do remember that this was where I first heard of DUMT, I wrote to them and ordered 3 copies of their demo, one for me and 2 of my friends. I remember this so well because sometime around 1992 I was at a Voivod show in Santa Clara, CA after moving there. At this show I was wearing my BITTER END tshirt. 3 guys accosted me between bands and said: "Who the hell are you, we must know you because of that shirt. No one has that old of a BITTER END shirt around here, no way". It was 2 guys from DUMT and one guy from SABRE. Then they asked my name, and the 2 DUMT guys remembered that I bought 3 copies of their first demo, haha. I guess I was the only guy to ever do that! Few years later I saw them at Gilman Steet too. Some real metal maniacs. Great times.