80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
rumblefist

Re: 80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Post by rumblefist »

doomedplanet wrote:Coming up in the next few updates will be the last of the 'zines I own.

One of those, INTENSITY, is a very obscure zine from Pasco, WA. This if the first fanzine I ever saw or knew existed, that is what you get living in the middle of fucking nowhere in the 80's. I do remember that this was where I first heard of DUMT, I wrote to them and ordered 3 copies of their demo, one for me and 2 of my friends. I remember this so well because sometime around 1992 I was at a Voivod show in Santa Clara, CA after moving there. At this show I was wearing my BITTER END tshirt. 3 guys accosted me between bands and said: "Who the hell are you, we must know you because of that shirt. No one has that old of a BITTER END shirt around here, no way". It was 2 guys from DUMT and one guy from SABRE. Then they asked my name, and the 2 DUMT guys remembered that I bought 3 copies of their first demo, haha. I guess I was the only guy to ever do that! Few years later I saw them at Gilman Steet too. Some real metal maniacs. Great times.
This is the kind of stories i love to read on this Forum. 8)
Knowledge Is Power
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

In 1982 or 1983 i watched a UFO gig (i think from the Mechanix or the Making Contact tour) and i was on the 2nd row.
The band was playing (and what a great show it was - 1 of the best in my life) but just ahead of me on the 1st row a guy was eating a chick with her back againt the security metal fence (not sure how to say it perfectly on english) that kept appart the audience from the stage. And there she was with her skirt up and the guy doing his duty (haha) for almost a hour. No-one of them were upset by what was going on - i mean the band playing and hundreds around...

Not even by "Lights out in Lisbon" sung by almost the whole pavillion...
Knowledge Is Power
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Many thanks for all those new uploads. Metal Madness is another favorite - not featuring ultra-obscure stuff, but I really like the layout as it has a genuine D.I.Y. feel.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Biggest zine updated yet: 20 new titles (!) c/o Rob and Metal Sam - as usual they're listed here, and more info can be found here.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

The pdf link for Rock Brigade #6 isn't working Dan.

So far - thanks a lot for Metal Mania #17 and Metallic Beast #4 (first issue in english after the first 3 being on danish).
Knowledge Is Power
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

DaN wrote:Biggest zine updated yet: 20 new titles (!) c/o Rob and Metal Sam - as usual they're listed here, and more info can be found here.
Thanks v. much. Enjoyed perusing Ian Christe's non-metal reviews in Ian #6.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
DaN wrote:Biggest zine updated yet: 20 new titles (!) c/o Rob and Metal Sam - as usual they're listed here, and more info can be found here.
Thanks v. much. Enjoyed perusing Ian Christe's non-metal reviews in Ian #6.
Must say I like this one as well. also many thanks for inclusion of Revelation. I wouldn't complain to see other numbers up.
I am ... the One you warned me of
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

While none of you would know it by looking, scanning that Metal Mania #8 was a BITCH due to it being printed on giant posters paper folded up. Enjoy that one fuckers, if you want to revel in pain a little....
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

doomedplanet wrote:While none of you would know it by looking, scanning that Metal Mania #8 was a BITCH due to it being printed on giant posters paper folded up. Enjoy that one fuckers, if you want to revel in pain a little....
No revelling in little pain, what'd be the meaning. :-P

A2 size fanzine? Wow. Maybe the idea was to read from the wall facing a bed or after waking up? Or just to read it from the wall instead staring into a blank one, while drinking coffee. Brain start to work .. LOL

You do deserve a beer or two. When we meet. Cheers!
I am ... the One you warned me of
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

More like A0 or A1 size I think on newsprint (would have to dig that out to check, basically 16 pages on each size of the poster.) I'm not sure but I think he might have cut them up and stapled them together? Anyway this one is uncut and i didn't want to cut it up . I guess he did it since he must have known a cheap way to print it or something.
Noisenik wrote:
doomedplanet wrote:While none of you would know it by looking, scanning that Metal Mania #8 was a BITCH due to it being printed on giant posters paper folded up. Enjoy that one fuckers, if you want to revel in pain a little....
No revelling in little pain, what'd be the meaning. :-P

A2 size fanzine? Wow. Maybe the idea was to read from the wall facing a bed or after waking up? Or just to read it from the wall instead staring into a blank one, while drinking coffee. Brain start to work .. LOL

You do deserve a beer or two. When we meet. Cheers!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Thanks everyone involved in those new uploads. There's so much stuff to read now, but feedback will surely follow sooner or later.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Likewise, huge thanks to everyone involved in this project.
All your work is very much appreciated & it's great to see this stuff again.
As soon as i start reading any of these i'm lost in a bubble of nostalgia where it's 1984 again, and i can almost smell the photocopier ink off those dog eared scanned pages. And patchouli oil, always the faint whiff of patchouli...
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

doomedplanet wrote:More like A0 or A1 size I think on newsprint (would have to dig that out to check, basically 16 pages on each size of the poster.)
Ah, now I understand what you ment by 'poster stock'. Yes, that must have been a complete mess to scan! It's an awesome piece of olde US Metal history and source of much interesting trivia tho' so hopefully it was worth the work. Generally I think the Metal Mania issues are some of the best reads of the whole fanzine section.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

4 more zines added.
Is anyone sitting on more issues of The Book Of Armageddon? I quite liked that one...
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Thanks Dan.
I "have" this #4 of TBOA but incomplete. Great zine - yes.

I have a doubt and can't find any www infos.
Is Psychomania with origin on Canada or Norway ?
Knowledge Is Power