80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
Ernest Thesiger

Re: 80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

DaN wrote:I'd also love to one day get my hands on more copies of the hilarious Suck City.
"PEE IN THE CAVES, YOU IDIOTS!"
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Frustrating I only have the one issue. I did find some tidbits from an issue on a blog in the past, by one of the editors. I knew to pick this zine up because of a random comment Lyle from Solitude Aeturnus gave once about 8 cent metal.....
Ernest Thesiger wrote:
DaN wrote:I'd also love to one day get my hands on more copies of the hilarious Suck City.
"PEE IN THE CAVES, YOU IDIOTS!"
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

ION BRITTON wrote:SLAYER (NORWAY) We all sort of know of its importance
You give me way too much credit, I've never heard of it. Why was it apparently important?
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

It was a great source of information for many extreme metal fans, one of the most well-known zines back then. People still stress its importance to the development of the scene. Its roots date back in the early 80's when Metalion was publishing the heavy metal zine Live Wire. Unique style, often imitated but never equaled. You can check this out:

https://www.bazillionpoints.com/product ... istiansen/#
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

ION BRITTON wrote:It was a great source of information for many extreme metal fans, one of the most well-known zines back then. People still stress its importance to the development of the scene. Its roots date back in the early 80's when Metalion was publishing the heavy metal zine Live Wire. Unique style, often imitated but never equaled. You can check this out:

Ah, I wondered if it might be Black Metal related when i saw it was from Norway.
That explains my complete ignorance, as the extreme Metal scene(s) did absolutely nothing for me personally.
I really tried to keep up with everything Metallic as it happened, but the death metal thing was the first strand of the family tree that i just couldn't get into at all. After that, as things got further sub-genre, i similarly failed to find anything of interest to me in the grindcore/black metal/metalcore etc etc fields, and resigned myself to being an increasingly grumpy old man before my time, pining for the 'good old days' with every further new (or Nu) development.
Having said all that, that book you linked to does sound as though it would be an interesting read regardless of my antipathy towards the music, so thanks for the steer.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I'm barely interested in black metal but I got this book when it was discounted nicely in some sale they had. Has cool thrash stuff too, Sadus, Kreator, Atheist, + more, etc. worth considering just for this material if that is your bag. I got the "Don't break the Ghost" collection of Isten magazine for the same reason.
bigfootkit wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:It was a great source of information for many extreme metal fans, one of the most well-known zines back then. People still stress its importance to the development of the scene. Its roots date back in the early 80's when Metalion was publishing the heavy metal zine Live Wire. Unique style, often imitated but never equaled. You can check this out:

Ah, I wondered if it might be Black Metal related when i saw it was from Norway.
That explains my complete ignorance, as the extreme Metal scene(s) did absolutely nothing for me personally.
I really tried to keep up with everything Metallic as it happened, but the death metal thing was the first strand of the family tree that i just couldn't get into at all. After that, as things got further sub-genre, i similarly failed to find anything of interest to me in the grindcore/black metal/metalcore etc etc fields, and resigned myself to being an increasingly grumpy old man before my time, pining for the 'good old days' with every further new (or Nu) development.
Having said all that, that book you linked to does sound as though it would be an interesting read regardless of my antipathy towards the music, so thanks for the steer.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

ION BRITTON wrote:KICK ASS MONTHLY
Unfortunately, every time I hear the name of this zine I'm now tainted with the thought of the former poster that was active here for a couple of months and referenced it in every single post he made while typing enormous ramblings in caps lock :lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I have the same thoughts occasionally, but, truth be told, it is a legendary zine.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I've got big plans for this one, so a new handy filter-feature has been added to the Fanzine archive. Good if you for instance want to only have zines listed in your preferred language...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Came back from KIT with this:
rsz_20180430_120059.jpg
rsz_20180430_120059.jpg (161.37 KiB) Viewed 3909 times
This should keep me busy for a few years...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote:Came back from KIT with this:
rsz_20180430_120059.jpg
Dear god! So many grimoires!!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

DaN wrote:Came back from KIT with this:
rsz_20180430_120059.jpg
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I think it will keep you busy longer than that to scan all those fanzines for us! :lol: :lol: :lol:
humus

Post by humus »

Stale verhalen, Orkaan, Braindamage,...seems like you got this from someone from the lowlands? Looks like a great score!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

humus wrote:Stale verhalen, Orkaan, Braindamage,...seems like you got this from someone from the lowlands? Looks like a great score!
Yeah, more than half of them are Belgian zines. Got them from a German collector. According to him you couldn't find as many zines in Germany back then so he hoarded them when visiting Belgium in the 80's.
Lama

Post by Lama »

humus wrote:Stale verhalen, Orkaan, Braindamage,...seems like you got this from someone from the lowlands? Looks like a great score!
Haha, Dan even had to use a 'duvelke' to get them to the car :D !
Kampel Destruction