The Metal Compilopedia

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
DaN
Administructor

The Metal Compilopedia

Post by DaN »

All feedback (and praise!) on The Great Olde Compilation Encyclopedia goes here.

Some subjects of interest:

- 2nd opinions on rarity-ratings are more than welcome. It’s a tricky biz when it comes to comps and many albums are rated on a mere hunch so they’re definitely up for discussion. Availability also differes a lot from country to country.

- The exclusive/non-exclusive status of some tracks can be a bit of a mystery. Please feel free to correct any errors or missing info you come across, but make sure you’ve read our definition of ‘exclusive’ on the main page first.

- If you have any interesting trivia on the releases themselves that you think belongs in the info-field, do share.

- There’s hundreds of rare comps on mp3 in circulation, but proper cover scans/photos seem much more scarce. There will be plenty of requests for these here, so keep that camera/scanner ready!

Eventually we’ll get to a point where we’ll need to request rips & uploads of rare albums and maybe post a “wantlist” of some sort, but at the moment we still have lots of material just waiting to be reviewed. Of course you’re still welcome to tip us off on rare, seldom mentioned releases to put on the search-list.

About supplying rips:

Tape rips and low-bitrate mp3’s are OK since they still serve their purpose for this project, and if you wanna save time you can record and send the album as one long, unedited mp3 as long as there’s a tracklist of some sort included. (Poisonoise-standards are of course preferred though..)

About supplying sleeve pics:

With you regular A4/letter-size scanner 4 scans of each side will be needed to cover the complete sleeve. However, good digital photos are quicker, easier to do and works fine as long as they’re
1. huge
2. in focus
3. properly lit, i.e. white/ambient light – no flares.
(the angle being a bit off is no problem)
Last edited by DaN on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Excellent job! Hats off to the Admin and kudos to everyone else who has contributed!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Good stuff, can't agree with all the comments on the songs though. :lol:

Can you post some info on the CD-R comp tracks? I don't recognize all bands and where they're from.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Black Axe wrote:Good stuff, can't agree with all the comments on the songs though. :lol:
What?!? You dare go against the Taste Police's most scientific dissections??? I challange you on a Taste-Joust, sir!
Can you post some info on the CD-R comp tracks? I don't recognize all bands and where they're from.
All such info should be found on the pages of the albums they were taken from. If something is missing, let us know.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

What a huge project to take on and so far it looks good.

So much that I haven't heard before... :(
Last edited by Avenger on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/teutonicinv1.html

It says Country: Holland. But like it states elsewhere, it's from their eastern neighbours.

And the Mp3 CD-R comp has the St. Michael track listed as The Beauty, The Beast. :lol:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Black Axe wrote:http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/teutonicinv1.html

It says Country: Holland. But like it states elsewhere, it's from their eastern neighbours.
Roadrunner is a Dutch label, isn't it? The country-field states the origin of the pressing.
And the Mp3 CD-R comp has the St. Michael track listed as The Beauty, The Beast. :lol:
Crap. Will fix and reup later tonight...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

DaN wrote:

Roadrunner is a Dutch label, isn't it? The country-field states the origin of the pressing.
You're judging just by the origin of the label? Like it says in the info bar it's presented by Rock Hard, which is a German magazine and the bands are all German (as far as I know). Isn't that more important than the origin of the label releasing it? It wasn't just released in Holland either, it was a international pressing.
DMR

Post by DMR »

What's the tracklist for the MP3 compilation? I'd like to know before I download it.
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

DMR wrote:What's the tracklist for the MP3 compilation? I'd like to know before I download it.

By the way. GREAT work!!
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Black Axe wrote:
DaN wrote:

You're judging just by the origin of the label? Like it says in the info bar it's presented by Rock Hard, which is a German magazine and the bands are all German (as far as I know). Isn't that more important than the origin of the label releasing it? It wasn't just released in Holland either, it was a international pressing.
Well, it is how records are mostly listed - the country specifies where the label is situated, i.e. where it was made and/or distributed from. For the most part the bands are from the same country but there are of course exceptions. If so, these details should be in the info-fields. (Teutonic Invasion 2 has some Dutch bands on it for instance...)

It IS a tricky subject though. Many Metal Blade releases where manufactured in Canada, Music For Nations and some other UK labels had theirs done in France, many of the current vinyl labels all over the world are printing their releases in the Czech Republic... Perhaps an issue for a different thread?
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

excellent work.i ll spend most of my online time tonight browsing through.thank you very much for all the hard work
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

What about tape only compilations? like Polmark's Metal Attack 88 & Polish Heavy Metal '87. All classic polish metal in interesting live versions.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

man i love the crappy VIRUS HC/thrash stuff on fast forward to hell...no talent at all, it's awesome! And that Angels Of Malice thing with the drum computer was pretty cool indeed.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Oh, I haven't been paying attention lately obviously. Man, this stuff looks killer! Going to dive into it over the next few days. And thanks for doing it D & K!