Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch (2013)

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I've seen it mentioned many times that this Metal vinyl "craze" is a recent trend among young people. If this is the case, would the prices not drop in a few years time when the next music trend comes along and these buyers start selling? Less demand brings lower prices. It’s pretty simple economics. I have a hard time believing those that think prices will continue to climb forever. Trends come and go.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
mordred

Post by mordred »

I started collecting vinyl in 2002 and all the old farts said the same ting then; it was a recent trend among young people to collect vinyl, it would soon pass and thus prices would drop back to the normal level they were at in the 90's. It didn't happen then and I don't think it will happen now but of course if you keep predicting the same thing forever chances are some time you will be right.
Avenger wrote:If this is the case, would the prices not drop in a few years time when the next music trend comes along and these buyers start selling? Less demand brings lower prices. It’s pretty simple economics.
Yes, if that is really the case and that does happen then that will be the consequence. Like you say, it's simple economics. That is of course assuming the rules of supply and demand isn't just a myth and a joke made up by people who think they are smarter than others. :lol:
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Fair enough but there has to be a line somewhere between a genuine fan and a "hipster". Either that or it's just a 20-year trend :lol:
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Death Rider

Post by Death Rider »

Nightcrawler wrote:Probably this was here before:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEDIEVAL-STEEL- ... 1c33f746f2
Hmm this sealed Medieval Steel record is shipped from Memphis, Tennessee, United States... the home of the band...
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

See the flash of lightning cutting the edge of steel!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Trigger makes a great point. Value and rarity cannot and will not ever have a permanent equitable correlation for any collectible. If every rare book or record I am hunting for had a 'true' value based on actual rarity, then I would be out of the hobby immediately.

A truism on this subject is made apparent to me quite often. Look for some true rarity that is relatively unknown (not completely unknown, a fine line but different subject) and not in frenzied demand, chances are you might find it for a reasonable price. Has happened to me quite often recently. Looked for years & years for a record and never saw one at any price, then in a matter of weeks 2 copies show up and for around $10-$15, then haven't seen one since...
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

mordred wrote:I started collecting vinyl in 2002 and all the old farts said the same ting then; it was a recent trend among young people to collect vinyl, it would soon pass and thus prices would drop back to the normal level they were at in the 90's. It didn't happen then and I don't think it will happen now but of course if you keep predicting the same thing forever chances are some time you will be right.
There's a huge difference though between now and then, the market had not turned back to vinyl, now you see every mainstream pop, rock, metal and so on are being released on LP. Moreover, these old farts were probably the rare LPs, now you can't the collectibles and the rare LPs, they didn't talk about a vinyl comeback to the market.
Never trust the Goblin King....
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

I don't think that we are living a vinyl comeback. New releases selling 500 or 1,000 vinyls is not a vinyl revival.

It's just the death of CD that we are living. Labels have to release most of the new releases on vinyl, in order to sell those 500 or 1,000 copies only because in most of the cases CD sales are extremely low. So they try to cash as much as they can from digital downloads and vinyls.
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
Death Rider

Post by Death Rider »

chatzial wrote:Labels have to release most of the new releases on vinyl, in order to sell those 500 or 1,000 copies only because in most of the cases CD sales are extremely low. So they try to cash as much as they can from digital downloads and vinyls.
There is no such a release that might be pressed in the same amount of copies on CD and vinyl (let's say 500 or 1000 copies for each format) and the vinyl will sell faster or will bring more money to the labels. It is very simple why: vinyl costs MUCH more. For every 500 vinyl copies, a label could press more than 1500 CDs. In these times of economical crisis, small labels press vinyls only if they know they will sell fast. If a label will press 500 copies and sell them in two years, there is no difference... They must sell this quantity in a few months, otherwise they can't keep moving on with other releases.
There are many examples with limited editions (up to 500 copies) from huge or small labels, that after months, their vinyls are still available, but there are also many examples of the same editions that are sold-out in a few days. The difference is that most of the sold-out releases are re-releases of 80s stuff, and there we have the reason why. It is a trend.
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

Death Rider wrote: The difference is that most of the sold-out releases are re-releases of 80s stuff, and there we have the reason why. It is a trend.

Thats what i think. In the last maybe 3 years from know it is a trend.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Death Rider wrote:
chatzial wrote:Labels have to release most of the new releases on vinyl, in order to sell those 500 or 1,000 copies only because in most of the cases CD sales are extremely low. So they try to cash as much as they can from digital downloads and vinyls.
There is no such a release that might be pressed in the same amount of copies on CD and vinyl (let's say 500 or 1000 copies for each format) and the vinyl will sell faster or will bring more money to the labels. It is very simple why: vinyl costs MUCH more. For every 500 vinyl copies, a label could press more than 1500 CDs. In these times of economical crisis, small labels press vinyls only if they know they will sell fast. If a label will press 500 copies and sell them in two years, there is no difference... They must sell this quantity in a few months, otherwise they can't keep moving on with other releases.
There are many examples with limited editions (up to 500 copies) from huge or small labels, that after months, their vinyls are still available, but there are also many examples of the same editions that are sold-out in a few days. The difference is that most of the sold-out releases are re-releases of 80s stuff, and there we have the reason why. It is a trend.
I think that sums up my point pretty well. This is also coming from the first hand experience of someone that runs a label so it's creditable.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Also keep in mind that we turned from zero vinyl to the 500-1000 quantity, which is enough for me to call a comeback. If we take into consideration that EVERYTHING is pressed on LP, there is no more proof needed to justify this notion. So we have hundreds of those 500-1000 vinyl pressings and that's only in the heavy metal genre, I have no idea what are the numbers in other vinyl related genres that are revived lately, from pop bands (I mean real bands not computer music) to rock and electronic music, isn't this a comeback or what? More and more bands record analog for a reason (or two).
Death Rider

Post by Death Rider »

Trigger wrote:Also keep in mind that we turned from zero vinyl to the 500-1000 quantity, which is enough for me to call a comeback. If we take into consideration that EVERYTHING is pressed on LP, there is no more proof needed to justify this notion. So we have hundreds of those 500-1000 vinyl pressings and that's only in the heavy metal genre, I have no idea what are the numbers in other vinyl related genres that are revived lately, from pop bands (I mean real bands not computer music) to rock and electronic music, isn't this a comeback or what? More and more bands record analog for a reason (or two).
Actually, there is a vinyl revival in other genres also, but in genres that there is demand for physical product (MTV-like pop music is mainly for digital), like regular rock music or jazz, or even classic music. But of course, nothing similar to metal music I guess. At least from what I know.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Back to the insanity, guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330942823635?ss ... 1438.l2649

Last copy sold for £35!
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Death Rider wrote: Actually, there is a vinyl revival in other genres also, but in genres that there is demand for physical product (MTV-like pop music is mainly for digital), like regular rock music or jazz, or even classic music. But of course, nothing similar to metal music I guess. At least from what I know.
Well these are the "vinyl related" genres that I mean, what I do not know is the pressing quantity of each release in these, whether it is in limited to 1000 copies or more.