Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch (2013)

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

mordred wrote: If only the music and not the item mattered nobody would ever buy a record again because all the music everyone could possibly want to listen to can be found online.
Well, there is a difference in sound of mp3 and vinyl. So even if only music mattered, I would still buy records if only for the their sound that no PC file can copy.
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Herkus Monte wrote:
mordred wrote: If only the music and not the item mattered nobody would ever buy a record again because all the music everyone could possibly want to listen to can be found online.
Well, there is a difference in sound of mp3 and vinyl. So even if only music mattered, I would still buy records if only for the their sound that no PC file can copy.
You are right but.... i know collectors that play their records at shitty turntables with stereo systems that sound awful. I have listened to PC speakers that play better (ok not louder) than these systems. Do these collectors collect for the listening pleasure or for just having the item?
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
mordred

Post by mordred »

Herkus Monte wrote:
Then you're just an audiophile and don't really care about the actual musical content at all! :) There, another reoccuring but useless discussion among people who have different interests within their common interest in music.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Eskew Reeder wrote:
As someone who has been in the record "business" for over 30 years and have dealt in a wide variety of genres(excluding metal) I can tell you that you are the one who just doesn't comprehend the rarity and value of a record.

First off.....of all the legitimate and popular fields of collecting, vinyl records are on the lowest end of the spectrum value wise. A rare baseball card, postage stamp or Barbie doll sells for up to 100X that of the most valuable record and with these items there is no music to rate them by, just the rarity of an item. How many are available and how many people want it...period.

Secondly, when you are dealing with private press records where only 300-1000 of them were made 20-30 years ago and now today maybe only 5,10 or even 50 have survived, this makes these some of the rarest collectables on the planet. Even compared to other records, ie a Beatles "Butcher Cover" where there may be as many as 10,000 still in circulation, these private press records are ultra rare in comparison. Yet people spend four figures on those Beatle LP's every day...and my bet is very few listen to the music.

Apparently what you can't comprehend is that collectors collect "objects" and in this case the object is one of a very few hard copies of a very rare record. Your critique of how good or bad the music is (only in your opinion) has no influence on this market at all. Totally meaningless and a moot point. Quite frankly it makes you look like a pompous, jealous wanker.

My experience is that the deeper you are into a musical genre the more you appreciate and desire different sounds. The fact that your ears and lack of open-mindedness is limiting your appreciation of what you call "average" music is more of a reflection of your narrow view than someone else's desire/ability to spend their own money on what they feel is a worthwhile purchase. Some people are shallow enough to be satisfied owning the "Top 100" or "Top 500", etc. LP's defined as the "Canon" of a genre while others seek out the more interesting and hard to find examples. Some people like eating at McDonald's everyday too...others find that boring.

Someone who considers themselves an "expert" in any musical genre is usually full of shit and themselves. You can tell who these guys are when they start judging others musical tastes within said genres, in a derogatory manner. I've seen many of these dudes in a wide variety of genres...and you seem like one of those dudes.
POST OF THE YEAR

Re: people who use cheap equipment: some folks just cannot afford 'good' equipment. Having recently upgraded both my and my dad's equipment, the absolute minimum you can spend on a decent new amp, turntable, and speakers is $500 total, and you have to catch all the items on really good sales to get them that cheap. If you want audiophile-quality equipment, you'll spend $1,000+ on the turntable alone. At that price, many folks are fine using cheap equipment; occasionally buying a record for $50-100 is one thing, spending $500-$2,500 on stereo equipment is not an option most people can afford.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
humus

Post by humus »

Eskew Reeder wrote:My experience is that the deeper you are into a musical genre the more you appreciate and desire different sounds. The fact that your ears and lack of open-mindedness is limiting your appreciation of what you call "average" music is more of a reflection of your narrow view than someone else's desire/ability to spend their own money on what they feel is a worthwhile purchase.
So if there's a heavy metal record you don't like, do you think it is because it doesn't appeal to you musically, or because you are not 'deep' enough in the genre yet to appreciate it? Therefore, once you're an expert in the genre, there are no more bad records?

Useless discussion. As soon as someone says a record is average you'll have someone say that it is because he is prejudiced and doesn't understand the music.
There's no prejudice, it's called taste. And somebody is entitled to find a release good, or a release bad. Yet the two sides always feel the need to try to convince the other.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

Useless discussion. As soon as someone says a record is average you'll have someone say that it is because he is prejudiced and doesn't understand the music.
There's no prejudice, it's called taste. And somebody is entitled to find a release good, or a release bad. Yet the two sides always feel the need to try to convince the other.
Righty right! Has been discussed to death! So why don't we leave this cr*p behind and keep some interesting/metal related stuff coming...?! :?
See the flash of lightning cutting the edge of steel!
Eskew Reeder

Post by Eskew Reeder »

humus wrote:
Eskew Reeder wrote:My experience is that the deeper you are into a musical genre the more you appreciate and desire different sounds. The fact that your ears and lack of open-mindedness is limiting your appreciation of what you call "average" music is more of a reflection of your narrow view than someone else's desire/ability to spend their own money on what they feel is a worthwhile purchase.
So if there's a heavy metal record you don't like, do you think it is because it doesn't appeal to you musically, or because you are not 'deep' enough in the genre yet to appreciate it? Therefore, once you're an expert in the genre, there are no more bad records?
No, not at all. each person has their own taste and what one man might hear as shit the next man might hear as gold. For someone like Prowler to think they are an "expert" and therefore can definitively define it as one or the other makes him the pompous wanker. One man's POS is another mans $200 gem...this is true in every genre of music. And I have never met someone who was truly an "expert" in any one style of music, just people who thought they were or claimed to be.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

nightsblood wrote:some folks just cannot afford 'good' equipment. Having recently upgraded both my and my dad's equipment, the absolute minimum you can spend on a decent new amp, turntable, and speakers is $500 total, and you have to catch all the items on really good sales to get them that cheap. If you want audiophile-quality equipment, you'll spend $1,000+ on the turntable alone. At that price, many folks are fine using cheap equipment; occasionally buying a record for $50-100 is one thing, spending $500-$2,500 on stereo equipment is not an option most people can afford.
This is not true.

If someone can fork out several hundred dollars for records on a regular basis and then add shipping costs on top of that they could easily afford a decent system. Let's say they spend $200 on a LP. All they would have to do is hold back buying 5 or 6 records at that same price and they could afford a higher end stereo. It's called prioritizing your spending and managing your money.

For example, I have read stories about guys spending everything they make on records and then surviving off ramen noodles. This is just plain ridiculous in my opinion. Could they afford to live and eat better? Of course but they CHOOSE to spend their money on records instead.

This is poorly managing your money.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Avenger wrote:
nightsblood wrote:some folks just cannot afford 'good' equipment. Having recently upgraded both my and my dad's equipment, the absolute minimum you can spend on a decent new amp, turntable, and speakers is $500 total, and you have to catch all the items on really good sales to get them that cheap. If you want audiophile-quality equipment, you'll spend $1,000+ on the turntable alone. At that price, many folks are fine using cheap equipment; occasionally buying a record for $50-100 is one thing, spending $500-$2,500 on stereo equipment is not an option most people can afford.
This is not true.

If someone can fork out several hundred dollars for records on a regular basis and then add shipping costs on top of that they could easily afford a decent system. Let's say they spend $200 on a LP. All they would have to do is hold back buying 5 or 6 records at that same price and they could afford a higher end stereo. It's called prioritizing your spending and managing your money.

For example, I have read stories about guys spending everything they make on records and then surviving off ramen noodles. This is just plain ridiculous in my opinion. Could they afford to live and eat better? Of course but they CHOOSE to spend their money on records instead.

This is poorly managing your money.
I agree with Avenger 100%. I have seen Graven Image original been played at a 10 year-old midi system's turntable who's needle was never replaced. Surreal picture...
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

chatzial wrote:
Herkus Monte wrote:
You are right but.... i know collectors that play their records at shitty turntables with stereo systems that sound awful. I have listened to PC speakers that play better (ok not louder) than these systems. Do these collectors collect for the listening pleasure or for just having the item?
Well if they were only buying these albums we could tell they just want to have them. But if they actually choose to play their records on an equipment producing a sound even worse than PC loudspeakers then don`t you think they really do it for pleasure? :D I know it sounds downright perversive to call it a pleasure, but still the point is they prefer even the crappiest turntables over mp3 players. Thus, we can`t tell they buy records not to enjoy music.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Edit: Link removed as per request.
Last edited by Khnud on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Khnud wrote:Judge - RARZ / Aramis (The Lover) on ebay. Should be interesting to see how far this one goes!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121061439080?ss ... 1438.l2649
Couldn't you wait with posting this? Now I can delete it from my watching list. :wink:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Prowler wrote:
Khnud wrote:Judge - RARZ / Aramis (The Lover) on ebay. Should be interesting to see how far this one goes!

Couldn't you wait with posting this? Now I can delete it from my watching list. :wink:
Ah man, didn't think of that. Do you want me to delete my post?
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Yes guys, please stop posting links to unfinished auctions. At least when they are still at low bidding prices.
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Prowler wrote:

If item is listed and can be found under "Private Metal" or "Private Hard Rock" , "Rare Private" tags it's already on someones radar.Right now I usualy skip these auctions.Too many competition.

Anyway ,back on topic.Daniel posted this on Facebook :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WYZARD-Future-K ... 1c2fd3f0c2

Condition G/G.