Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch (2013)

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Prowler wrote:http://www.ebay.de/itm/140909563434?ssP ... 128wt_1165

If you decide to sell all your US Metal stuff I think it's the time NOW! You'll never get these prices again ...
Two of the biggest swiss collectors competed for this one, next in line was a $70 bid. Note that the band name is misspelled. Last time it sold for $240, so this isn't that insane.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Khnud wrote:

If you decide to sell all your US Metal stuff I think it's the time NOW! You'll never get these prices again ...
Two of the biggest swiss collectors competed for this one, next in line was a $70 bid. Note that the band name is misspelled. Last time it sold for $240, so this isn't that insane.
Sorry Khnud, 260 $ for a 7" with 2 average trax in my book is insane ... if collector or not.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

Prowler wrote:[
Sorry Khnud, 260 $ for a 7" with 2 average trax in my book is insane ... if collector or not.
its all about money, if you collect and have money then you´d buy everything, the music does not matter
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

Cyrcka wrote:
its all about money, if you collect and have money then you´d buy everything, the music does not matter
Here we go again...
Isn't it time to get over this "xxx$ for record xy with xx boring/average songs doesn't make any sense" and simply live and let live? :wink:

Musicwise it's good stuff imo (by judging from the yt track).
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Sigh.......

Prowler- I think it's an outstanding single and that's a reasonable price given its rarity. Only ~6-7 copies of Illusion have turned up TMK, and only 2-3 have an original pic sleeve.
Why do you continue to act as though records you dislike should automatically sell for pennies? Your opinion matters to no one but yourself.

Cyrka- Not true. I know some collectors with plenty of money who only buy records they like musically. I also know plenty of poor collectors who hold onto records (and d/ls) they don't actually like just for the sake of collecting them.

Going back to my cave now
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

Nasty Uwe wrote:
Cyrcka wrote:
Here we go again...
Isn't it time to get over this "xxx$ for record xy with xx boring/average songs doesn't make any sense" and simply live and let live? :wink:

Musicwise it's good stuff imo (by judging from the yt track).

you right, but i wasn´t talking about that 7"
Eskew Reeder

Post by Eskew Reeder »

Prowler wrote:
Khnud wrote:

Where can I purchase said book? It's got to be a great read!
mordred

Post by mordred »

Prowler wrote:Sorry Khnud, 260 $ for a 7" with 2 average trax in my book is insane ... if collector or not.
Thanks for the information. Maybe the next time I'm deciding how much I'm willing to pay for a record I'll remember to ask you what your book says on the matter.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Taking this in another direction, I have never understood those that bid several times on the same auction. I understand this is the "classic" formula for an auction but in reality all this does it artificially inflate the price. The winning bid 9 times out of 10 is the last one so if people were to only bid what they actually wanted to originally pay then many of these auctions would end a lot lower.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
msp

Post by msp »

Having the word "Texas" in the auction title adds $100 to the price as well
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

lol, quite funny to see how the guys with money on the bank account do defend their purchases. It's naturally on each of you what you do with your money, but you can't really expect that everyone understands that behaviour. For example the music indeed does not really matter like Cyrcka said, as long as the record is just "ultra rare", 4 copies known etc. it sells like fresh warm bread, even though the seller has listed sound files and 80 % of the total Hard Rock shit (I have never said that I dislike Illusion, just that it's average stuff that's a big difference) that I wouldn't dare to give away for free with any other order, sells for 200 $ nowadays just because it's obscure private "US Metal". That's reality ... if you like that fact or not. A few years ago you could get all the average and below average US Hard Rock singles for 5-15 $. Where have all these guys been that nowadays pay 200 $ for that stuff? Not into Metal? No PC? Or what? lol
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Prowler wrote:lol, quite funny to see how the guys with money on the bank account do defend their purchases. It's naturally on each of you what you do with your money, but you can't really expect that everyone understands that behaviour. For example the music indeed does not really matter like Cyrcka said, as long as the record is just "ultra rare", 4 copies known etc. it sells like fresh warm bread, even though the seller has listed sound files and 80 % of the total Hard Rock shit (I have never said that I dislike Illusion, just that it's average stuff that's a big difference) that I wouldn't dare to give away for free with any other order, sells for 200 $ nowadays just because it's obscure private "US Metal". That's reality ... if you like that fact or not. A few years ago you could get all the average and below average US Hard Rock singles for 5-15 $. Where have all these guys been that nowadays pay 200 $ for that stuff? Not into Metal? No PC? Or what? lol
You are partially right, around 5 years ago, many U.S. Hard Rock and Heavy Metal singles used to sell for around $20 to $25 and now they go for much higher prices. But on the other hand a lot of NWOBHM that sold 5 years ago for around $50 to $100 now fetch much lower prices.

Maybe collectors (like all people) follow trends and the trend now is U.S. Metal/Hard Rock 7"s.

But i have to say that i disagree with your opinion about many hard rock vinyls that you say that they are average. This is a matter of taste, something that sounds average to you does not mean it sounds average for everyone and does not worth high. For example many of the thrash/death stuff that many of Corro members like and pay high prices, for me don't worth $5 because i don't like them and would not spend money to get them. That does not mean that nobody should and that their values is low.
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
Eskew Reeder

Post by Eskew Reeder »

Prowler wrote:lol, quite funny to see how the guys with money on the bank account do defend their purchases. It's naturally on each of you what you do with your money, but you can't really expect that everyone understands that behaviour. For example the music indeed does not really matter like Cyrcka said, as long as the record is just "ultra rare", 4 copies known etc. it sells like fresh warm bread, even though the seller has listed sound files and 80 % of the total Hard Rock shit (I have never said that I dislike Illusion, just that it's average stuff that's a big difference) that I wouldn't dare to give away for free with any other order, sells for 200 $ nowadays just because it's obscure private "US Metal". That's reality ... if you like that fact or not. A few years ago you could get all the average and below average US Hard Rock singles for 5-15 $. Where have all these guys been that nowadays pay 200 $ for that stuff? Not into Metal? No PC? Or what? lol

As someone who has been in the record "business" for over 30 years and have dealt in a wide variety of genres(excluding metal) I can tell you that you are the one who just doesn't comprehend the rarity and value of a record.

First off.....of all the legitimate and popular fields of collecting, vinyl records are on the lowest end of the spectrum value wise. A rare baseball card, postage stamp or Barbie doll sells for up to 100X that of the most valuable record and with these items there is no music to rate them by, just the rarity of an item. How many are available and how many people want it...period.

Secondly, when you are dealing with private press records where only 300-1000 of them were made 20-30 years ago and now today maybe only 5,10 or even 50 have survived, this makes these some of the rarest collectables on the planet. Even compared to other records, ie a Beatles "Butcher Cover" where there may be as many as 10,000 still in circulation, these private press records are ultra rare in comparison. Yet people spend four figures on those Beatle LP's every day...and my bet is very few listen to the music.

Apparently what you can't comprehend is that collectors collect "objects" and in this case the object is one of a very few hard copies of a very rare record. Your critique of how good or bad the music is (only in your opinion) has no influence on this market at all. Totally meaningless and a moot point. Quite frankly it makes you look like a pompous, jealous wanker.

My experience is that the deeper you are into a musical genre the more you appreciate and desire different sounds. The fact that your ears and lack of open-mindedness is limiting your appreciation of what you call "average" music is more of a reflection of your narrow view than someone else's desire/ability to spend their own money on what they feel is a worthwhile purchase. Some people are shallow enough to be satisfied owning the "Top 100" or "Top 500", etc. LP's defined as the "Canon" of a genre while others seek out the more interesting and hard to find examples. Some people like eating at McDonald's everyday too...others find that boring.

Someone who considers themselves an "expert" in any musical genre is usually full of shit and themselves. You can tell who these guys are when they start judging others musical tastes within said genres, in a derogatory manner. I've seen many of these dudes in a wide variety of genres...and you seem like one of those dudes.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Some people buy records just to have them, others to actually listen to them. Thry will never understand each other and I see no reason to argue about that.
mordred

Post by mordred »

I listen to my records all the time but I buy them just to have them just like everyone else. If only the music and not the item mattered nobody would ever buy a record again because all the music everyone could possibly want to listen to can be found online.

People who claim they are listeners solely and others are insane collectors are generally just taking a long detour to say their shit smell finer than other people's. Generally it also seems to be very hard for these people to wrap their mind around the fact that other people may like a record they do not.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D