Instructions on how to pack vinyl properly

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Khnud

Instructions on how to pack vinyl properly

Post by Khnud »

I was unsure if this should go here or in "Killing Technology", but since it's a collector issue, I'm posting it here.

Tired of receiving vinyl records with seam splits on the cover due to improper packaging?

Tired of having to explain to everyone how to properly package a record before sending it halfway across the globe?

Look no further! I made a short and hopefully adequate description in 4 steps, showing how to best protect the record during shipping. Feel free to link to it if you need to.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/271/ ... kaging.jpg
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

It depends where you sending package and much more basics.I mean,so far I received a lot of rarities with "poor package" BUT without any damage.It depends on seller/Buyer communication I think.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Good picture guide, saving it for future use, thanks!
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

anyone who also receives stuff frequently should know how it should be done. but of course we have to deal with a lot of amateurs, unfortunately. received all kinds of weird stuff, from records in pizza boxes, records packed in sleeves of other records (or wrapped in newspapers) and just the stamps on top.. D:

on the other hand I am always slightly pissed when a buyer gives overdetailed instructions about how to pack stuff first thing before even paying :wink:
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Buried By Time and Dust

Re: Instructions on how to pack vinyl properly

Post by Buried By Time and Dust »

There should also be something protecting the record from rubbing up against the sleeve like bubble wrap or a cardboard insert

also those LP mailers don't have enough cushion on the corners so you should use a 14x14x4 box or plastic corner reinforcements.this all costs more but for the value of the records I see people posting on this board it's probably worth the extra expense.

Khnud wrote:I was unsure if this should go here or in "Killing Technology", but since it's a collector issue, I'm posting it here.

Tired of receiving vinyl records with seam splits on the cover due to improper packaging?

Tired of having to explain to everyone how to properly package a record before sending it halfway across the globe?

Look no further! I made a short and hopefully adequate description in 4 steps, showing how to best protect the record during shipping. Feel free to link to it if you need to.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/271/ ... kaging.jpg
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Under step 4 you can see cardboard inserts being used.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Those instructions can be quite annoying sometimes. It always kills me when someone asks for the cheapest possible shipping without jewel cases, and then tells me "and please pack well!" Then they are shocked when I cancel their orders without further explanation :wink:
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Latest package arrived today, from a well known ebay seller with +4800 feedback. LP inside cover, all seams split more than 2 inches on each side.

AM I THE ONLY ONE CONSTANTLY HAVING THIS PROBLEM?

Sorry for shouting, but this is starting to piss me off big time. These last few months more than 50% of the items I received have suffered from damage sustained during transport. I'm seriously considering to stop buying vinyl online altogether since it appears most sellers don't know how to pack properly and some will even be offended when asked to do so.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

It must be bad luck. I have received quite a few improperly packaged vinyls myself over the years, but only a small percentage of them arrived damaged. I guess not more than 10 records since I started buying on ebay. Are you completely sure that the seams weren't all split before shipping?
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

It was sold as Near Mint...

There must be something wrong with me, karma-wise. :(
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
mordred

Post by mordred »

Seamsplits occured during transport has happened to me maybe five times at the most in ten years and easily 500+ records bought online.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I don't know why this keeps happening to me. During the last few months, apart from the usual seam splits (+20 this year alone) I've had records crack during shipment, two have become warped to the point they can't be played properly, and a few haven't arrived at all.

Is it time to call it quits? :(
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
LaGouille

Post by LaGouille »

Also tired of receiving 90% of LP packages "thrashed". Best case is one or two bumped corners. Worst is all corners bent + seam-split. Almost each time I receive a package these days, I'm thinking of calling it quits (as far as LP orders are concerned), but then I can't help ordering again. You're not alone Khnud!
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I thought this was happening to me at an alarming rate, but compared to you Khnud and LaGouille I am getting off easy with 1-2 a year (out of the 20-25 vinyl purchases I make each year). But the number of LPs shipped inside their sleeves or shipped with insufficient cardboard protection are too many, almost all of them.
I think Fils Du Metal, The Sentinel and Igor are the only ones I dealt with that get it correctly.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Khnud wrote:records crack during shipment
Has happened to me once about four years ago, I got a new copy of the record in question.
Khnud wrote:become warped to the point they can't be played properly
Is that even possible? Think I received two warped records over the years but they must certainly have been warped before they were put in the mail.
Khnud wrote:a few haven't arrived at all.
I don't think that ever happened with a vinyl record. Did happen with a few cd's and some trade cd-r/dvd-r package, all was replaced.

The most common shipment damage I have suffered is bent corners but it doesn't happen all that often either.
Khnud wrote:Is it time to call it quits? :(
Do you only order cheap records? I know you have an extremely strict limit with how much you can imagine paying for a record and I think that might have something to do with. Myself I usually don't bother anymore with getting records in the 20 euro range over the internet, it's not worth the postage and effort. I hope to pick them up at the next record fair or similar instead. With more expensive records (don't have to be super expensive, just in the 35-40 euro region makes a huge difference) I think a lot more care is put into grading, packaging and such.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D