Incidents with records

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Le fjump

Incidents with records

Post by Le fjump »

So, what accidents or incidents have you had with your records? Rare or not.

Came to think about this when my daughter picked up 5 Manowar LPs and threw them on the floor today.

The records survived.

I know mordred has an interesting story about a certain Scrath single.
My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

I forgot my Crimson Glory s/t LP on a table in front of the window for some days when I was away.. Sadly it was in the summer...

I almost dropped my first copy of deep switch - nine inches of god LP on the ground when I took it off the record player. Luckily I catched it in the last second, though one nail was involved which made a deep scratch which made awful pop sounds.

Hell, that reminded me that I need to get that one again since I've traded my 2nd copy away. :(
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Deaf Dealer - Keepers Of The Flame LP (NEAT Records press): Carried it in a plastic bag together with a pen and a hunting list at a fare, accidentally hit a table with the bag (LP survived, pen did not), HUGE ink stain on the sleeve.
Bought a new copy (better condition than the one I ruined) for 2 euros. So I am not mad.

Lessons learned: Carry LPs better, don't keep the pen and hunting list in the same bag as the LPs
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Someone got a copy of Desolation Angels lp with a trashed cover but mint- lp they can sell me? 10+ years ago mine popped out of my hands because it had a tight hole and it fell down the side of the stereo cabinet, putting a nasty scratch on 1 side. Luckily I've never had this happen since, what a shitty memory.
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Around 1997 my collection started to grow rapidly. The 2 shelving units i used for my LPs were full so i had some records at the floor, leaning against the wall. One day the refrigirator broke down and water from the next room came in the room with the collection. Fortunatelly i discovered it very soon and only 5 or 6 record's covers were damaged and those were cheap ones.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Last year, and I still don't know how, but I had a box of some of my favourite records on the floor between my stereo and record shelves, and I had been having a worse than usual time for some weeks which meant I hadn't been checking my records at all, then the day I did, I noticed there's some fucking mold and water damage on a bunch of them... Flipping through this box of about 100+ vinyls and my heart sinking... In the end it turned out better than feared though, no vinyls got ruined, but a few covers suffered; DESIRE got the worst but managed to piece the image together again, got some small tears on various ones, like COMMANDER... The EMERALD (US) cover got some waves on it but thank fuck it was ok, that is the one thing that would have broken me hah. Can't remember all the ones that got damaged and don't want to check. Now I have all the records in the same place and keep lots of bags of silicon around to prevent any moisture.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
malegys

Post by malegys »

Last year, i took out my Chrome LP collection (US psyche punk band) to take some pictures of it. One of the rarer records just fell straight down from LP rack & made a nasty "crack " sound as it landed...sure enough, a big piece had cracked off...have yet to replace this record too :-(
"Do you like Wenom?"
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Well, I had one "incident" back in 1991 or so.At that time I had young Dog 0,5 y.o (German Shepherd).I left NOCTURNUS "The Key" LP on the table and went to shop for 5 minutes and when I back I saw that my lovely Dog "made a Toy" from this LP (showed how much her teeth is strong).
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Opened a package with a steak knife, put a decent cut into 2 tracks of the French Connection Various Artists LP. Fortunately it wasn't on the Steel Angel tracks.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

oh yeah, and there was that incident where we were rocking out at Mr Anthares house in Helsinki and I went to put a record away in its sleeve etc I was bumped by another rocker and I dropped his JP Tyrants EP on the floor. It landed and out of the side of it chipped off a chunk. It looked as if it was bitten into by the floor.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

accidently dubbed silence over a demo with a double tape recorder. a really shitty boombox i dont have anymore ruined another (band salad). thankfully both were really shitty, recent demo tapes!
took ramones - s/t (first press) out of the cover and it ripped right through the rotten inner, bouncing and rolling on the floor like in some slapstick...no damage whatsoever though! the inner was some generic white one either.
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Not really my story, but still... A friend had bought Epicus Doomicus Metalicus, probably a couple of years after it had come out. He forgot it in the back of his car for a few days. In the middle of summer.

When he remembered the LP and got it out of the car, it looked like a phrygian helmet. Never seen an LP as badly warped as that one neither before nor after. You could have used it to carry water.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

Some years ago on the way back from KIT: a friend who just bought the POSSESSED "Eyes of horror" EP put it on the backseat and I, blind as I am, sat down without recognizing his purchase.
Until the end of all time he will always have a huge indentation of my bullet-belt on his Picture sleeve. :oops:
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

great_knuthulhu wrote:Not really my story, but still... A friend had bought Epicus Doomicus Metalicus, probably a couple of years after it had come out. He forgot it in the back of his car for a few days. In the middle of summer.

When he remembered the LP and got it out of the car, it looked like a phrygian helmet. Never seen an LP as badly warped as that one neither before nor after. You could have used it to carry water.
Wouldn't the water run out through the hole in the middle? 8)

Anyway, this whole subject makes me shiver. So far I haven't had any record incidents, but I'm sure something will happen when you least expect it.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

We need to have a therapy thread after this. 8)
My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...