Cover variations / Different Covers (Vinyl only)

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I didn't know about it with the later logo!
nightsblood wrote:
Like the VIPER picture- that's a cool record, and I've never seen it with the older band logo on the cover
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

nightsblood wrote: Richards took some of the legit License to Kill black vinyl copies and pasted the riders artwork onto one side, so 1 side looks like a pic disc and the other side looks like a regular black vinyl copy of License to Kill.
This one sounds like a similar case with this:

chatzial

Post by chatzial »

doomedplanet wrote:I didn't know about it with the later logo!
nightsblood wrote:
Like the VIPER picture- that's a cool record, and I've never seen it with the older band logo on the cover
At the brazilian edition (the one on the right) they used the original logo.
CloudsOfMetal

Post by CloudsOfMetal »

chatzial wrote:
nightsblood wrote: Richards took some of the legit License to Kill black vinyl copies and pasted the riders artwork onto one side, so 1 side looks like a pic disc and the other side looks like a regular black vinyl copy of License to Kill.
This one sounds like a similar case with this:

The normal one is rare enough to be a pain in the ass to get, but how rare is that odd picture lp version? I've never seen anything like that anywhere before.
only the heaviest weather available
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Just as rare.
BUT for me total crap, You have a cover with a hole in it and a record that only plays 1 side
"I am NOT a collector"
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

glockose wrote:Just as rare.
BUT for me total crap, You have a cover with a hole in it and a record that only plays 1 side
I agree with you. When i first got it, i did not own the normal edition and i was extremely disappointed with it.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Yes, they're quite rare.
With the Jag Panzer variant there's no hole in the cover since the legit, black vinyl License to Kill copies weren't put in proper covers. Richards had plenty of extra riders covers (the pseudo-legit, clear vinyl License copies were put in leftover legit covers) so he just used one of the extras for the cut & paste job. It is weird that he made the records unplayable on one side, but 'weird' and 'azra' kinda go hand-in-hand
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

nightsblood wrote:Yes, they're quite rare.
With the Jag Panzer variant there's no hole in the cover since the legit, black vinyl License to Kill copies weren't put in proper covers. Richards had plenty of extra riders covers (the pseudo-legit, clear vinyl License copies were put in leftover legit covers) so he just used one of the extras for the cut & paste job. It is weird that he made the records unplayable on one side, but 'weird' and 'azra' kinda go hand-in-hand
His contracts with bands were very one sided with lots of holes.

Bands sometimes would get paid on sales over 1000 units in the USA.
So he would stop selling at that point and start selling over seas.

Others said things like a band would get paid on sales of Black vinyl records, so he started making colord OR like these take black vinyl copies and make them into Pic Disc, all to avoid paying folks.

Even shapes. contacts would say sales of 1 (square) shape, so he would make stars...... to avoid paying.

It also would never say anything about selling test presses, so he would press 100-500 "tests" which just really ment they had no label, or labels that said test. Not what would really be called a test pressing

He also had free run of Erika pressing at night so he would just start pressing whatever/whenever, if something was still selling after the first press was sold out he would just press more, If he didn't have or couldn't make covers at that point he just press Pic Disc's or made test presses with stamped labels and no cover
"I am NOT a collector"
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

Reading this post by Glockose I am wondering why bands still signed contracts with Azra back then.
Did they not know what was going on? I mean, such a weird behaviour must have been known by most bands after the first one got ripped-off that way.

Strange...
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

How would you know.?

Bands were from all over the country, they did not tour or talk to each other, it took years befor most found out that they were ripped off.

They didn't know what was going on, just that there sales were not good.
"I am NOT a collector"
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Yeah, remember that there was no internet, social media, etc in the 80s. Today, if someone rips you off on ebay, you can plaster their name across the web. Back then, you basically knew the folks in your local scene and whoever you wrote letters to. And remember that most young bands are in desperate need of a record deal back then to get their music sold/distributed. Today you can do it yourself through cdbaby and other outlets; back then you sold at local shops, at gigs, and the rest was dependent on zine ads and getting a deal. Young, dumb, enthusiastic, and desperate to get their word out- perfect setting for ripping folks off :(
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

I used to have a NRR contact, still do some place.

It would sign a band for 5-6 records, and not just the band but all the members.

This way if you got signed to a bigger label NRR would get paid, If your band broke up and 2-3 years down the road you had a new band that got a new record deal NRR would still get paid something, Thats how things were back then.
"I am NOT a collector"
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Isn't the Azra guy an active seller on ebay? Selling all kinds of weird shaped pic discs etc. Are those discs really from the 80's, or just his newest batch of "limited to 100 copies" but then repressed again and again and again?
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Khnud wrote:Isn't the Azra guy an active seller on ebay? Selling all kinds of weird shaped pic discs etc. Are those discs really from the 80's, or just his newest batch of "limited to 100 copies" but then repressed again and again and again?
Yes, seller ID is something like davesrockrelics. Some of his items are old/originals, some are more recent printings (e.g., the clear vinyl License to Kill copies were printed in the 00s). I've heard that he still has the plates for some old releases, so in theory he can whip up new batches of some items. This is what he did with the Cassle record some years ago.
-Becky