Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch (2012)

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

XCEL wrote:
Lets see whos gonna get this monster boys
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370579558443?ss ... 1438.l2649
Monster? Boys?
Who needs a sealed copy mail me :-) Serious trades only...
XCEL

Post by XCEL »

I wont be interested as i have a sealed copy,i hope you will my friend
XCEL

Post by XCEL »

Fils Du Metal wrote:
XCEL wrote:
Lets see whos gonna get this monster boys
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370579558443?ss ... 1438.l2649
Monster? Boys?
Who needs a sealed copy mail me :-) Serious trades only...
Its great to see a collector like you has this for serious trades,i am sure some fella will take advantage of this,cheers
weltbrand

Post by weltbrand »

N.W.O.O.F.G.M. wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... true&rt=nc

:shock:

Bid hard and often, some people say. They acted accordingly.
These were both my auctions. Don't know about Avalon, but I think the Angel of Mercy was a bidding war between three serious guys. It's a bit surprising but not too crazy if you consider that it hasn't been on ebay in nearly 3 years. In any case, I'm not complaining.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

weltbrand wrote: It's a bit surprising but not too crazy if you consider that it hasn't been on ebay in nearly 3 years.
How do you know that a copy hasn't been on ebay in that long? Unless you've checked ebay on a daily basis for this item for the past three years, then you cannot know this is true.

If you are basing this assertion on the auctions archived on popsike.com (most recent auction = May 2009), that is NO guarantee your statement is accurate. People really need to realize that NOT EVERY SINGLE AUCTION IS ARCHIVED BY POPSIKE. They don't even archive all the high-dollar items sold on ebay. And many sellers request that their items not be saved in the popsike archives. Thus, there could easily have been SEVERAL copies offered on ebay since May 2009. All popsike can tell you is the MINIMUM number of copies sold over a certain number of years. With Angel of Mercy, all popsike tells us is that a MINIMUM of 7 copies were sold on ebay between Feb 2005 and May 2009.

Sorry to rant about this- nothing personal against you, your auctions, or this record (I know nothing about the album)- but it bugs me when people make this type of claim. Even if you create a Saved Search on ebay and receive daily email updates from ebay whenever an item matching your search criteria gets listed, you can still miss copies due to misspellings, items being put in odd categories, items being offered BiN and closing quickly, items listed on ebay sites in other countries (ex: ebay.ca) etc.
And of course copies may be sold through other venues; not every copy is sold via ebay. According to popsike, no copy of Zaxas has been sold since June 2011. I know for a fact, however, that 1 copy was sold since then via private sale.

One final anecdote about how these claims go hilariously wrong- I know some old Blues collectors. When I was a kid, 2 of them were talking about a singer named Gatemouth Moore. One guy was all excited b/c he had just read about the singer's album in a book that described it as "one of the rarest 1950's blues records ever recorded, with only 10 copies in existence". The other collector reached onto his shelf and pulled out a copy, remarking sarcastically, "That author never asked me if I had one, guess there's only 11 copies in existence". :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
N.W.O.O.F.G.M.

Post by N.W.O.O.F.G.M. »

Regarding the Angel of Mercy LP, it popped up on ebay.uk a couple of months ago. After a couple of days, the auction closed without any bids. One can assume that a private deal took place.

I have that LP on my saved searches for the last 2 years or so. This is the second time I see it offered. The settings are "records, worldwide", which is as vague as it gets.

Nightsblood brings valid points, as usual.

Yes, spelling errors are very helpful! Because of one such error, I ended up paying 1GBP for PALASS - Queen of the World.

And with BIN, i paid 8,5 Euros for AHAT - The March. The same seller offered me the IMPULSE - Gladiator and ERA/CONCURENT LPs for the same price. Not in top condition, still a sweet deal.

Patience and luck are the collector's favorite weapons of choice, next to money of course! :D
Ария make a metalhead want to speak Russian!
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

i bought this angel of mercy lp for 8 euro off the german ebay in 2000.when i actually found out its tripped out psych rock and has nothing to do with metal i traded it away.i pay the price again for trading away shit records and not keeping them for people that are apparently insane CEOs of multinationals.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

N.W.O.O.F.G.M. wrote:Yes, spelling errors are very helpful! Because of one such error, I ended up paying 1GBP for PALASS - Queen of the World.
That was you!? I saw that auction too late and almost tore my own head off in anger.
weltbrand

Post by weltbrand »

nightsblood wrote:
weltbrand wrote:
How do you know that a copy hasn't been on ebay in that long? Unless you've checked ebay on a daily basis for this item for the past three years, then you cannot know this is true.

If you are basing this assertion on the auctions archived on popsike.com (most recent auction = May 2009), that is NO guarantee your statement is accurate. People really need to realize that NOT EVERY SINGLE AUCTION IS ARCHIVED BY POPSIKE. They don't even archive all the high-dollar items sold on ebay. And many sellers request that their items not be saved in the popsike archives. Thus, there could easily have been SEVERAL copies offered on ebay since May 2009. All popsike can tell you is the MINIMUM number of copies sold over a certain number of years. With Angel of Mercy, all popsike tells us is that a MINIMUM of 7 copies were sold on ebay between Feb 2005 and May 2009.
I'm aware of this, and I know that CF especially doesn't do a thorough archiving. Sorry for speaking in such absolutes.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

In any case, congrats :P
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

nightsblood wrote: One final anecdote about how these claims go hilariously wrong- I know some old Blues collectors. When I was a kid, 2 of them were talking about a singer named Gatemouth Moore. One guy was all excited b/c he had just read about the singer's album in a book that described it as "one of the rarest 1950's blues records ever recorded, with only 10 copies in existence". The other collector reached onto his shelf and pulled out a copy, remarking sarcastically, "That author never asked me if I had one, guess there's only 11 copies in existence". :)
This reminds me the story of Artisan: Through till dawn LP that took place about 1 year ago.
That guy who writes in metalpage, Vaggelis, wrote a review for this LP, making it to sound like the most rare LP on the planet! It even gave it a rarity scale "6 - Outstanding metal gem"
Two weeks later sells a copy of it on ebay for 500$.
A week later the review changes and becomes a Rarity 5 :P

That's why i personally don't follow to the letter what other collectors and cataloge prices tell...

Recently found out that same thing happens with the Stamps Collecting.
There are two leading cataloges "Stanley Gibbons" and "Scott"
Stanley Gibbons has all of the stamps highly overpriced compared with the Scott one...
And guess what? Stanley Gibbons is also an Auctions Dealing Company. So make your conclusions

It's a MAD MAD WORLD
Keir

Post by Keir »

N.W.O.O.F.G.M. wrote:I have that LP on my saved searches for the last 2 years or so. This is the second time I see it offered. The settings are "records, worldwide", which is as vague as it gets.
Here's a tip: records don't always get listed in the records category, so you may want to broaden it even further to music or even everything.

Anyway, congrats on the Palass find. I thought I got lucky getting mine for 14 Euros!
N.W.O.O.F.G.M.

Post by N.W.O.O.F.G.M. »

Keir wrote:
N.W.O.O.F.G.M. wrote:I have that LP on my saved searches for the last 2 years or so. This is the second time I see it offered. The settings are "records, worldwide", which is as vague as it gets.
Here's a tip: records don't always get listed in the records category, so you may want to broaden it even further to music or even everything.

Anyway, congrats on the Palass find. I thought I got lucky getting mine for 14 Euros!
I always hope that a seller would at least be responsible enough to list a record as a record, but I do see your point. One should always count on the other's sloppiness! :)
Ария make a metalhead want to speak Russian!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

apollo.ra wrote:That's why i personally don't follow to the letter what other collectors and cataloge prices tell...
That's right! just buy it if you like it & if it's what you are willing to pay!!!!!

It's stupid just to buy something based on rarity! I will only buy something rare & musically shit if I see it & it's nice & cheap.. but what I think is shit, someone else may like.. so who knows??!! :)
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

Korgüll wrote:
apollo.ra wrote:That's why i personally don't follow to the letter what other collectors and cataloge prices tell...
That's right! just buy it if you like it & if it's what you are willing to pay!!!!!

It's stupid just to buy something based on rarity! I will only buy something rare & musically shit if I see it & it's nice & cheap.. but what I think is shit, someone else may like.. so who knows??!! :)
yep, agree with you. But for such rarities it sometimes seems impossible to listen to it first...I personally would never pay a big amount of money on something I have never listened to....