Insane Ebay Auctions - Vinyl, Tapes & Merch (2012)

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

ION BRITTON wrote:People who would want to buy all the classic stuff on wax from the beginning will have a financially hard time. That's what I personally think will happen anyway.
That has already happened. Look at the common classics like Darkness Descends, Bonded by Blood, Eternal Nightmare, etc, prices have gone up 5x in only the past few years! It is ridiculous. Death metal is even worse, the prices for very common releases like Left Hand Path are totally insane.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

what is the usual price for this? I see about a $80 price for it on popsike, I should probably sell mine if it is going for that, or more.
perishinflames wrote:Death metal is even worse, the prices for very common releases like Left Hand Path are totally insane.
humus

Post by humus »

They seem to sell for that amount now, yes.

I agree that it's a terrible time to get into collecting vinyl.
I started buying vinyl in 2001 and people told me the same back then. At that age common Mercyful fate et al. records would sell for 7 euro, and rarer death metal and black metal could easily reach 30-40 euro. And my older friends would tell about all the classic records in the dollar bin, and rarer pieces for 10 euro maximum, back in the mid 90's when lots of collections were being sold-off.
Now, everything is atleast twice as expensive as 10 years ago. Who knows what the prices will be in 10 years. Maybe a lot of the older folks will start selling their collection as they approach retirement age, and maybe the young generation will loose interest again.

I am just glad I have a decent collection already, and don't have to start from scracth now. Could have been better, and I wish I was born ten years earlier, but I sure am glad I didn't have to pay 15 euro to get a Kreator LP.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Don't you find it odd that while the economy is declining, prices on used records are increasing?
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
caminantenocturno

Post by caminantenocturno »

perishinflames wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:People who would want to buy all the classic stuff on wax from the beginning will have a financially hard time. That's what I personally think will happen anyway.
That has already happened. Look at the common classics like Darkness Descends, Bonded by Blood, Eternal Nightmare, etc, prices have gone up 5x in only the past few years! It is ridiculous. Death metal is even worse, the prices for very common releases like Left Hand Path are totally insane.
Clearly this also depends on what we call classic stuff.

Now is the time a lot of Death/Thrash and Black Metal fans have full time jobs with decent salaries and are now completing their collections - or at least attempting to.

There were times for NWOBHM fans with also very high prices in the early ninties which have been declining for some time now except for Maiden and some top rarities. For example it was virtually impossible during the late 80s and early 90s to find a copy of "Tygers of Pan Tang - Burning in the Shade" in Germany. Jet I have seen two copies selling for 1€ on ebay.de during the last six months.

I dare say we will see a similar decline in prices for traditional 80s Metal soon, save for very well known acts and some top rarities which have created their own mythology already.

As to the Thrash classics, there are still many many copies around in second hand stores and on record fairs, with prices well below ebay-insanity ...
Last edited by caminantenocturno on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
humus

Post by humus »

Khnud wrote:Don't you find it odd that while the economy is declining, prices on used records are increasing?
Not really. This crisis hits a specific part of the population, those who lost their jobs are the ones that take the hit. But the people who had a job, and didn't loose it (and that's still the vast majority) still have the same disposable income. Atleast that's the case in Belgium. The population didn't get poorer, some people did.
So you only lost some collectors (due to the crisis, and due to the natural flux out you always have), while the influx has been bigger (due to a general uprise in the interest in vinyl, and a specific uprise for some subgenres like death metal) and while you have some new buyers from growth-countries.

Still, I strongly believe that what goes up must go down. People who collected stamps in the 80's never expected the market to collapse either. I don't think the market will ever collapse (music is more than a collector's item but also has practical use) but I can sure see a decline.
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

http://www.ebay.de/itm/280807085934?ssP ... 1423.l2649

Not exactly insane but seriously isn't it a bit too much for this record? It sounds pretty boring and diletantic imo and I've either seen copies for 60 $ earlier.
Live your life by your will, learn to be an animal ...
XCEL

Post by XCEL »

Its way better than lots of other privates that fetch the same amount my friend
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

But the point is, it's simply too much.
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

Khnud wrote:Don't you find it odd that while the economy is declining, prices on used records are increasing?
Prices will always increase, number of people will always decrease. Until there is noone left.
caminantenocturno

Post by caminantenocturno »

vasilis2112 wrote:
Prices will always increase, number of people will always decrease. Until there is noone left.
Funny ... to me it seems to be just the other way around ...
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

caminantenocturno wrote:
vasilis2112 wrote:
Funny ... to me it seems to be just the other way around ...
I could state some arguments but my english are poor for mathematical logic.
After all it is just an opinion!
The_Elite

Post by The_Elite »

I totally agree that it's a terrible time for newcomers to vinyl to pick up 'classic' releases, even albums by big name bands with large pressings.

It's a combination of things- emerging markets- South America, and Eastern Europe/Russia notably and not just in metal- a lot of prog collectors emerging there as well. Combined with the death metal generation in better jobs and able to shell out money for records that they sold in the mid-late 90's. But people always forget the new kids as well- the are hundreds of kids getting into 'old' metal.

For me personally I'm pretty much done- I have a decent vinyl collection, but nowadays I'm happy to pick up a cd reissue instead of a first press lp.
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

woww

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Rare-Priv ... 3cc134f05b

Member Id: t***i ( 62Feedback score is 50 to 99) US $305.99
Jan-25-12 19:40:34 PST

Member Id: m***c ( 1106Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) US $300.99
Jan-22-12 11:55:45 PST

Member Id: o***o ( 2367Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) US $36.00
Jan-24-12 12:41:01 PST

Member Id: h***r ( 2126Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) US $33.00
Jan-22-12 23:48:26 PST

Member Id: a***4 ( 298Feedback score is 100 to 499) US $31.00
Jan-22-12 10:00:29 PST

Member Id: r***o ( 461Feedback score is 100 to 499) US $20.00
Jan-22-12 02:47:28 PST

Starting Price US $20.00
Jan-21-12 07:33:39 PST
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

I thought that's a 100 $ LP.
Someone's pretty horny to get one ... :D