SOLAR EAGLE BOOTLEG LP + MORE STUFF....

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
User avatar
daniel
Posts: 1992

Post#106 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:50 am

Fuck eBay and fuck collecting shit online all the time. People are buying tons of records every month I could never afford even when working and act as if they are just humble metal fans, buying total crap just cos it's rare... yeah opinions opinions... I completely stopped checking eBay etc. for records, which is "stupid" of course because the advance of society dictates the necessity of such sites, but I no longer care. Obviously my comment means nothing, but neither does it mean anything that someone bought a rare record this week for $300, and then never has anything else to say online other than praising bands etc. while doing fuck all else. The only thing left online for me that means anything is some interesting stories of old that people have to share and trying to work out lyrics with friends plus any background on bands. Fuck any bullshit reply in advance.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.

User avatar
LethylSteel
Posts: 401

Post#107 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:55 am

Ebay does not only have the expensive crap so by not searching at ebay for obscure records is the worst mistake you can ever do. Do you think any record dealer would sell you a Sabre "Keepers of the sword" LP for 28 incl p+p? Or a Breaker "In days of Heavy Metal" for 11 S, Hell 7" for 2 GBP etc etc (the list is endless)???

User avatar
Stormspell
Posts: 2307
Contact:

Post#108 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:05 am

The days when one can walk in a pawn shop and find a rarity for the usual $3.99 are long gone. Nowadays EVERY pawn-shop owner sells and references everything on eBay.

I gave up browsing local stores long time ago, all you can find in pawnshops anymore are grossly overpriced Wounded Bird re-releases.

perishinflames
Posts: 1539

Post#109 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:26 pm

daniel wrote:rant
u mad?

User avatar
daniel
Posts: 1992

Post#110 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:10 pm

"What a way to go out / out like a sucka / but I'm on track like a Long-Island train .:. and when the spot is blown you know it's me, because I'm housin"
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.

User avatar
nightsblood
Posts: 2393

Post#111 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:05 am

Not every record on ebay sells for insane money. Just like walking into a store or buying on other sites, it often takes a lot of looking and a little luck, but you can find good buys, even on ebay. WIthin the past 3 months:

someone bought a $600+ record for $60
someone bought a $100+ record for $35
someone bought a $150 album for $50
someone got a $300 record for $6
A $175 record sold for $16

Ebay certainly has it's problems, but so did record buying in the pre-ebay days. You were limited to whatever showed up at local stores and record fairs, plus a few mail order lists, some of which were run by shady characters who charged high prices for crap records- just like ebay is today :) And unlike today, if you were ripped off buying from a catalog there was no Paypal chargeback option ;)

Not saying ebay's perfect, just saying there's two sides to every coin
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky

User avatar
doomedplanet
Posts: 2026

Post#112 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:28 am

man ebay can suck and it can be cool as hell too.

A book I have been searching for since 1997 when I first learned of it turned up FINALLY on ebay this week, it ends tomorrow. Bidding is at $6. I'm going to bid $150 just to guarantee I get it. No guarantee of course but I don't see the competition being there since it is in a odd category and is obscure. I'm really hoping I get it. The last time one turned up at a book show, I walked away for 10 minutes to think about the $100 sticker price and it was sold when I returned, never seen one anywhere since, including the used book search engines.
"The type of people who buy their albums won't be offended. They like boobs and bare bottoms" - Joanne Latham.

User avatar
Khnud
Posts: 2327

Post#113 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:35 am

nightsblood wrote:someone bought a $600+ record for $60
someone bought a $100+ record for $35
someone bought a $150 album for $50
someone got a $300 record for $6
A $175 record sold for $16
Links? :D

User avatar
LethylSteel
Posts: 401

Post#114 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:47 pm

doomedplanet wrote:man ebay can suck and it can be cool as hell too.

A book I have been searching for since 1997 when I first learned of it turned up FINALLY on ebay this week, it ends tomorrow. Bidding is at $6. I'm going to bid $150 just to guarantee I get it. No guarantee of course but I don't see the competition being there since it is in a odd category and is obscure. I'm really hoping I get it. The last time one turned up at a book show, I walked away for 10 minutes to think about the $100 sticker price and it was sold when I returned, never seen one anywhere since, including the used book search engines.
Rob, when I've learned not much from ebay but I've learned to not talk about a certain record or thing that is offered for cheap untill you've recieved the confirmation that you're the winner of the auction! :twisted:
Live your life by your will, learn to be an animal ...

User avatar
LethylSteel
Posts: 401

Post#115 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:54 pm

Khnud wrote:
nightsblood wrote:someone bought a $600+ record for $60
someone bought a $100+ record for $35
someone bought a $150 album for $50
someone got a $300 record for $6
A $175 record sold for $16
Links? :D
Like this?
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWNX:IT

or this:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0651571453

(yes, "record does not play" is written in the item description, but put a coin on the needle and problem is solved. I've new records that jump like hell ...)
Live your life by your will, learn to be an animal ...

User avatar
doomedplanet
Posts: 2026

Post#116 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:31 pm

I didn't talk much but I probably jinxed it and won't win it, haha.
LethylSteel wrote:
Rob, when I've learned not much from ebay but I've learned to not talk about a certain record or thing that is offered for cheap untill you've recieved the confirmation that you're the winner of the auction! :twisted:
"The type of people who buy their albums won't be offended. They like boobs and bare bottoms" - Joanne Latham.


perishinflames
Posts: 1539

Post#118 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:07 pm

LethylSteel wrote:http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0651571453

(yes, "record does not play" is written in the item description, but put a coin on the needle and problem is solved. I've new records that jump like hell ...)
:roll:

The old "put a coin on it" thing. This can easily cause irreparable damage to the record and the stylus. I don't care if it's "cheap" I wouldn't buy a totally wrecked record just to have it, when it totally sounds like shit and skips everywhere, just to say "I have x record". I don't need everything to be mint, no record is truly "mint", it's a limitation of the format, but I don't need crappy condition collection-fillers unless it's something so incredibly rare the only way to hear the music is to buy it that way (and even then I'd just record it to tape/digital with a cheap cartridge that I don't feel bad potentially ruining just playing that one LP with it).

Unless your new records are actually defective (too common these days unfortunately), most skipping problems on records in good shape are "user error", cheap/worn/mis-aligned stylus, shot tonearm bearings, other setup problems.

User avatar
Khnud
Posts: 2327

Post#119 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks, LethylSteel and glockose!

Which was the $600 one? Freeloader? Emerald? I knew I should have put a higher bid on that...

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot. Lethyl - try changing the needle weight on your stylus. If a new record is skipping, it's probably too low.

User avatar
LethylSteel
Posts: 401

Post#120 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:40 pm

perishinflames wrote:
LethylSteel wrote:http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0651571453

(yes, "record does not play" is written in the item description, but put a coin on the needle and problem is solved. I've new records that jump like hell ...)
:roll:

The old "put a coin on it" thing. This can easily cause irreparable damage to the record and the stylus. I don't care if it's "cheap" I wouldn't buy a totally wrecked record just to have it, when it totally sounds like shit and skips everywhere, just to say "I have x record". I don't need everything to be mint, no record is truly "mint", it's a limitation of the format, but I don't need crappy condition collection-fillers unless it's something so incredibly rare the only way to hear the music is to buy it that way (and even then I'd just record it to tape/digital with a cheap cartridge that I don't feel bad potentially ruining just playing that one LP with it).

Unless your new records are actually defective (too common these days unfortunately), most skipping problems on records in good shape are "user error", cheap/worn/mis-aligned stylus, shot tonearm bearings, other setup problems.
The sound isn't crap and the needle that causes irreparable damage to the record is pure paranoia. Basically I've the needle right between the record player because every second record has 1 or 2 jumps. You don't have colombian records in your collection, do you? :wink:
If you've seen colombian records from the 80's (both cover and vinyl) then you can say the record is completely wrecked. Compared to these the Sabre LP was in VG- condition. :lol:

If the skipping records that came directly from the pressing plant is an user error as you say how can you explain that other records (that are sometimes even scratched) do play perfectly while others that I've just newly bought (I mean 2010/2011 records, not any sealed 80's stuff) skip that cruel that I'd love to throw the record out of the window? It's a vinyl/pressing error.
Live your life by your will, learn to be an animal ...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest