Insane ebay auctions - VINYL, tapes & merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Keir

Post by Keir »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:any of you guys won this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

:(
Sadly I was the 5th highest bidder...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Keir wrote:
MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:any of you guys won this?

:(
Sadly I was the 5th highest bidder...
i was 4th :(
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote::shock: i almost choke
It's a hell of a price, this one does turn up from time to time though.
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

OK, someone is gonna hafta explain this to me, I'm not smart enough to figure it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1007

4 months ago this single sold for $600 on at least 2 occasions

Last month a copy sold for $250

Today this copy sells for $56

Yes, the $56 copy has some sleeve wear. IMO it does not have $200-$550 worth of sleeve wear :)

So, exactly how does this 4-month price history make sense?
Folks have definitely had an eye out for this since it went for $600, so I doubt people simply didn't see it, even if it was listed as Punk Rock. All three copies were also featured on Collector's Weekly, so again, I don't think visibility was an issue. I'm not aware of copies being impossibly hard to find prior to 4 months ago; I'm also unaware of a stash of copies suddenly appearing within the last 4 months (please correct me if I'm wrong, which I very well could be).
If this is just a 'shift in the market', that's one hell of a drop in just 4 months.
The more I watch prices on ebay, the more I begin to suspect that there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the price for many items.
" 'Bid What Thou Wilt' shall be the whole of the law" :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
deathster

Post by deathster »

What is so difficult to understand. Demand makes the price. Auction price comes from 2 highbidders. These hungry guys got their copies some months ago and they did not bid again in this 56USD auction. What is so difficult to understand? No specific filosofy and market price theory needed.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I did contact the band about copies and they had none left. Maybe someone beat me to it, and all die hard collectors now have a copy?

Anyway, I don't mind at all. If the price drops a little bit more, I'm able to buy it.
msp

Post by msp »

nightsblood wrote:CHARGER 'Desperadoes' 7"
-IMO the best NWOBHM single ever made, does not show up very often (maybe twice a year at most)
Ha! I was the high bidder for about five minutes on this! Sold for £222 in the end
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

deathster wrote:What is so difficult to understand. Demand makes the price. Auction price comes from 2 highbidders. These hungry guys got their copies some months ago and they did not bid again in this 56USD auction. What is so difficult to understand? No specific filosofy and market price theory needed.
So by your logic there were 2 people out there willing to pay 10x more for the single than anyone else is willing to pay just 4 months later?
Not looking for an Economics explanation, just trying to figure out how the fuck people come up with the prices they're willing to pay.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Probably. There were apparently two people willing to pay 106 million dollars for an ugly painting I wouldn't buy for a hundred recently, so I guess the same can be attributed to records.

It all comes down to:

a) How badly you want the item in question.
b) How much money you have to spend.

And as demonstrated above, there are people who score very high on both those parameters.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

this makes it at least 3 people involved in total,where the second one should be glad he didn't win the first auction and the third excited he didn't win either of them :lol:
Never trust the Goblin King....
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

msp wrote:
-IMO the best NWOBHM single ever made, does not show up very often (maybe twice a year at most)
Ha! I was the high bidder for about five minutes on this! Sold for £222 in the end
That's a pretty insane price! Last copy went for £50.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Khnud wrote:
msp wrote:
That's a pretty insane price! Last copy went for £50.
The 50 GBP price was a steal IMO; I've seen this one go in that $300-350 range before, though it 'usually' stops short of $300.

But as seen with the Stormwindow, 'usual price' is almost meaningless anymore. Give it 2 weeks and you'll be able to buy a copy of Charger for $25 with free shipping, but next month it'll top $400

Sorry to rant about this, but it's rather frustrating trying to get certain items for a reasonable price when you can't figure out what a 'reasonable price' actually is. No one except the very wealthy like to over-pay for stuff, but lately it's hard to tell if something is a bargain, a fair price, or a total rip-off.
-Becky
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

It's easy - pay what you think it's worth, to you.

But sure, I understand you're frustrated. Especially if you just shelled 500 bucks for something and then you see it go for peanuts a few weeks later.
msp

Post by msp »

When I placed my bid the price was £16. My max bid was £50 and I was tops for about 10 minutes or so!
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...