Insane ebay auctions - VINYL, tapes & merch

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Trigger wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/THRUSTER-M-I-A-LP_W ... 2a05a2d6db

this description is absolutely incomplete or wrong...
Ridiculous :roll:
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

this description is absolutely incomplete or wrong...
it is just copy and paste, her forgot tho change it. It is the description of the DAMOCLES LP...
hload

Post by hload »

Fils Du Metal wrote:http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWAX:IT

I cannot breathe anymore..this one is the CRAZIEST ever....510 US$ for a NON metal record, simple rock. And how easy it seems to fool people with item descriptions and doing reviews of the records to sell on metalpage.de
Killer marketing :-)
The reocrd is regular rare, not ultrarare.
Just bought a copy for 1.99 pounds and sold another one lately for 60 € (with bad conscience being so expensive for that crap....) So a good marekting to write that only X copies exit, congrats to that Greek seller making money outta nothing.

i understand how bad you feel for losing 300 euros(+) by following wrong strategic plan. for your future business development ,perhaps, you should follow the same plan using ebay as an integrated process in order to build strong customer relationships and thus capturing value from them in return, in order to stay profitable.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I cannot breathe anymore..this one is the CRAZIEST ever....510 US$ for a NON metal record, simple rock. And how easy it seems to fool people with item descriptions and doing reviews of the records to sell on metalpage.de
Just bought a copy for 1.99 pounds and sold another one lately for 60 € (with bad conscience being so expensive for that crap....) So a good marekting to write that only X copies exit, congrats to that Greek seller making money outta nothing.
A greek seller overhyping something? No way! Next you'll be claiming that vegasCDs doesn't sell 100% original items! :D
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

I think this "hyping" issue should stop eventually,anything concerning sales includes hyping by definition and unfortunately this collector interesting frenzy has turned metal music into one of the most commercial genres in music.I see people caring more for the value of items rather than their quality,I'm sick of that personally.
Never trust the Goblin King....
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Trigger wrote:I think this "hyping" issue should stop eventually,anything concerning sales includes hyping by definition and unfortunately this collector interesting frenzy has turned metal music into one of the most commercial genres in music.I see people caring more for the value of items rather than their quality,I'm sick of that personally.
Hype isn't gonna go away, as most sellers wanna get as much as possible for their items, and hype often helps.

Collectors' obsession with value sometimes starts innocently enough, just trying to figure out "what's a fair price to pay for that record?". But you're right, for some people that turns into "my records are worth more than yours" or "the expensive stuff must be better than the cheap stuff".

I think this happens in lots of collector markets, especially ones that have a 'scene' that goes with it. People get very emotionally invested in being part of the Metal scene so they will fit in. Other people are constantly questioning who is 'worthy' of being included and who isn't. The whole 'are you tr00?' joke has a strong basis in reality; I couldn't tell you the number of times people have looked down their nose at me and claimed "you're not a real metal head 'cause your hair's too short". Or "if you don't like this album then you don't know anything about metal". I've even had sellers rag on me for not buying an expensive record; "hmmm, guess you're not a serious collector, huh?". While annoying, these things don't phase me much; I don't define myself in terms of records bought and money spent. But some folks take such comments very hard and they'll set out to prove just how 'serious' or 'real' or 'tr00' they are by forking out big money for Top Items. "I just dropped $300 on this one record, so there's no way you can question whether I'm tr00 or not".
People do silly things sometimes.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

nightsblood wrote:I couldn't tell you the number of times people have looked down their nose at me and claimed "you're not a real metal head 'cause your hair's too short".
I guess I'm not "TrOo" then. :lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

As I said some other times, I'm not a collector. I'm only interested in having the albums I like, no matter how cheap or expensive they are. Sometimes I'm also disappointed when I see how commercial metal can be, and how the hypes and trends work but I learned not to get pissed by it. I'm ok listening and buying whatever the hell I want, although I must admit I envy the collections of most members here :P
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Cochino wrote:As I said some other times, I'm not a collector. I'm only interested in having the albums I like, no matter how cheap or expensive they are. Sometimes I'm also disappointed when I see how commercial metal can be, and how the hypes and trends work but I learned not to get pissed by it. I'm ok listening and buying whatever the hell I want, although I must admit I envy the collections of most members here :P
That's my philosophy as well- I buy the records I like.
And yeah, sometimes it's hard not to be a bit envious when you realize some folks' trade list is more impressive than your entire collection! :lol:
-Becky
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

What's the point on bragging of owning a rare vinyl really,how many people do these "collectors" think are jealous of them for owning that,or for how long will they carry that enormous burden?I can't get it,I run into guys I haven't seen for a long time,they tell me they started collecting rare Lps,they start bragging of getting a rare one for $$$ and they feel happy and proud of their achievement.I listen to a song in a metal bar,I say to them"damn,fucking awesome song" and they reply as "I have this in vinyl format",nothing about the music.It's ridiculous,I read posts of guys here who will only say something when it comes for a vinyl(supa rare of course) they own,or one they think someone else is missing,just to upset him.This sucks really,music first and music only....
Last edited by Trigger on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never trust the Goblin King....
hload

Post by hload »

nightsblood wrote:

A greek seller overhyping something? No way! Next you'll be claiming that vegasCDs doesn't sell 100% original items! :D

exactly what you typed, peepshead. :lol:
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Trigger wrote:What's the point on bragging of owing a rare vinyl really,how many people do these "collectors" think are jealous of them for owing that,
Some just like to share info; they're proud of their collection and wanna show it off to others who will appreciate it. For some though, the point is to stroke their ego; it makes them feel better than other people, or more 'tr00'.... in the words of Saint Vitus, "Heavier Than Thou".

As for how many people get envious of them, I'd say quite a lot actually. There are plenty of oldschool metalheads out there, and I daresay that a LOT of them would love to have a big collection of original vinyl (or CDs or demo tapes).
However, very few of them have the resources needed to put together a large collection of top rarities. Even if someone doesn't envy the records themselves, they may envy the fact that the collector can afford to spend $$$$ on a record album. Most metal fans are not very well-off financially, so you get a lot of replies along the lines of, "damn, it must be nice to have so much money that you can spend $1,000 on a 1st pressing of 'death crush'; I barely have enough money to pay my bills :( ".
People with money often like to show it off, and buying expensive things is a way to do that. People w/o a lot of money usually wish they had more.
-Becky
msp

Post by msp »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DECOY-PARIS-Love- ... 19bb797e23

Anyone know what is so special about this one to make it a $213 record so far? Is it super rare or something?
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Last 2 copies of Popsike sold for 256 & 305
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

msp wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DECOY-PARIS-Love- ... 19bb797e23

Anyone know what is so special about this one to make it a $213 record so far? Is it super rare or something?
I heard it was pressed in a quantity of only 2 copies, one of which is possessed by the demon that the lead guitarist sold his soul to in exchange for the ability to shred like no other guitarist on earth, making this the only copy available to mankind :lol:
Sorry, just goofing around. Never heard of this one
-Becky