Some serious storage issues!

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
vasilis2112

Some serious storage issues!

Post by vasilis2112 »

Hello everyone,

I do have some serious problem here.
I recently received a badly warped brand new pagan altar room of shadows black vinyl LP+10”. Both are warped. It is not the usual warping. It is like labels are being pushed to one side. When I play side 1 only label touches the slipmat with edge being around 1cm above where it should be.
This no way happened here with me since I own it less than a month and it was no more than 2-3 days stacked below other records. The package containing it had 10-15 more records and maybe it was the one in the bottom.

This brought up some old questions of mine regarding proper storing for which I cannot find “scientific” answers.

I first noticed years ago and since I had it in my collection for 1-2 years that my golden Satan’s host’s by the hands... was warped. Both LPs were warped at the same spot.
And recently noticed that my Visigoth revenant king was also slightly warped. Again both records same spot and this is golden vinyl too.

The questions that trouble me are the following:
Can a very tight jacket cause this? (Most American pressed records like OPM are really a pain in the ass to fit them in)
What about gatefold double LPs? Most of them are too tight especially near the “spine” of the jacket (Satan’s host is too tight in there indeed). Should vinyl be stored where they are meant to be, or is this better to be placed between the halves of the gatefold sleeve? If stored between the halves, can curves of the hard paper jacket on the edge of the sleeve near the spine cause any problem? I read that gatefold sleeve are no good for single albums too.
Can posters, extra CDs or any other thick items (like the 10” in the pagan altar) included in the jacket together with the LP cause warping?

I am aware of the basics and I store my records almost vertically and not too tight. See pic. Near 60 records fit in each self. What happens to those on the edges that bear the most pressure? What happens to those in the middle that lean the most?

I would be thankful if you could share your knowledge and opinions on these matters.
I am sorry for the length of the post, but I am worried if I am damaging my collection. I am sure you can understand!
Attachments
A5BD1266-B996-41EA-928D-393A868ADDE4.jpeg
A5BD1266-B996-41EA-928D-393A868ADDE4.jpeg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 10493 times
Noisenik

Re: Some serious storage issues!

Post by Noisenik »

I guess the cause could be exposure to heat or even sunlight, improper storage before you bought 'em, or simply crappy manufacturing by inexperienced ppl in newly established pressing plants.

cds could cause warping if not placed carefully enough in the package, but I hardly believe that those responsible for the packing wouldn't know how to pack vinyl, etc., but live and learn as everything is new t'day

leaning shouldn't be a problem imho, at least not how I see it on the pic.
I am ... the One you warned me of
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

Noisenik wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:21 pm improper storage before you bought 'em, or simply crappy manufacturing by inexperienced ppl in newly established pressing plants.
This is what I believe too, but I cannot get the case of tight jackets and gatefold sleeves out of my mind.
How do you store double LPs in the gatefold sleeve?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

single-record-gatefolds in usual PE sleeves, record (in innersleeve, of course) in between cover,

double record-gatefolds in slim PE sleeves, one record in between cover, the other behind cover,

in both cases openings of the innesleeves 90 degrees to the opening of the sleeve, the opening of the sleeve thus being near top of the shelf space. The opening of the cover also 90 degrees to the opening of the sleeve, but in opposite direction, so it can be faced straight :-)

However, while buying new records, I see that they are packed in shrink-wrap very tightly, so they are actually made to develop a ring-wear. Still, I lack imagination how shrink-wrap could cause vinyl to warp, perhaps bcs of too thin cardboard, but that's seldom case today, if at all. I would add that exposure to heat must somehow be involved here, but prefer not to be asked how.
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:47 pm the other behind cover
Wouldn’t this cause ringwear to the previous record?
Noisenik wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:47 pm in both cases openings of the innesleeves 90 degrees to the opening of the sleeve, the opening of the sleeve thus being near top of the shelf space. The opening of the cover also 90 degrees to the opening of the sleeve, but in opposite direction, so it can be faced straight :-)
I completely lost you there! Post a photo of you like!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

vasilis2112 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:30 pm
Noisenik wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:47 pm the other behind cover
Wouldn’t this cause ringwear to the previous record?
It shouldn't, if they're not stuffed like fishes in a can. If you would look on the shelf, the second would be to the left of gatefold, the first would be "in the sandwich". None of them presses to the covers that much. From Karthago / Forgotten Steel school of things, possibly HRR as well ;-)
Noisenik wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:47 pm in both cases openings of the innesleeves 90 degrees to the opening of the sleeve, the opening of the sleeve thus being near top of the shelf space. The opening of the cover also 90 degrees to the opening of the sleeve, but in opposite direction, so it can be faced straight :-)
a little bit of trivia, that prevents too much of dust getting in. Photos may take some time to make.
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

I cannot believe that noone else has such concerns!
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

I use the stackable record crates and have never had the issues you have mentioned. There is something called a record flattener that you can buy that takes care of those warps. A friend fixed a Genesis 2lp bootleg set for me that had those dishing warps your referring to, they looked bad but came back perfectly flat and still are. Look them up on eBay. Shrink wrap does not cause warps, sealed or otherwise. Heat or improper storage can and will. Quality of vinyl also is a factor (as stated)

As for storage, I just move mine around a little bit occasionally making sure they never lean, if anything, you would want them to tip very slightly forward against the jackets. I keep the records outside the jackets also

Sounds like your records can be saved

BTW, is that a legit Metallipromo I see or is it a boot. Or is it the 12" that looks similar that came in the 6 1/2 Year Anniversary set
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Northwinds wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:37 pmThere is something called a record flattener that you can buy that takes care of those warps.
Good lord, they all cost around £1,000.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

Ernest Thesiger wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:55 pm
Northwinds wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:37 pmThere is something called a record flattener that you can buy that takes care of those warps.
Good lord, they all cost around £1,000.
My buddy here is the States paid $250ish for his
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

It all depends on whether you buy a Vinyl Flat, or a Furutech Disc Flattener.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

Northwinds wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:37 pm BTW, is that a legit Metallipromo I see or is it a boot. Or is it the 12" that looks similar that came in the 6 1/2 Year Anniversary set
My friend this is just the regular EU pressing!
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

:? :evil: :( :cry: New victims found!!!

Shadowkeep latest double LP in black vinyl. Both discs have dish like warps!!! It is more serious on disc 1.

This is no gatefold and no extras inside. 2 discs inside the jacket with lyrics sheet between them. I strongly believe this is a factory default. I place them like this )( inside the jacket hoping it will fix a bit!
Or should the be placed like this ()?

Witherfall 1st violet vinyl has a slight hump!!!
I keep an envelope (CD plastic bag) with some stickers, postcards and other witherfall extras (not thicker than an actual CD) inside the jacket. Could this have caused it?

I always take vinyl out of the original inner sleeve, put it in a new anti static one and always store it inside the jacket. I put everything included inside the jacket and always keep the original innersleeve between the vinyl and any extras (bonus CD or 7” or any other extras like the witherfall. I believe putting the innersleeve in between reduses pressure on the vinyl.

Where do you store extra CDs or 7” that come together with the LPs?
Received Ironflame 2nd US press with extra 7” and EU press with extra CD today and I am thinking of altering my way and store extra 7” outside the jacket like you do with the actual records, but I don’t like to see the CDs on the outside!
What should I do?

P.S.. Nevertheless, all those mentioned play fine apart from pagan altar.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

vasilis2112 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:30 am :? :evil: :( :cry: New victims found!!!

Shadowkeep latest double LP in black vinyl. Both discs have dish like warps!!! It is more serious on disc 1.

This is no gatefold and no extras inside. 2 discs inside the jacket with lyrics sheet between them. I strongly believe this is a factory default. I place them like this )( inside the jacket hoping it will fix a bit!
Or should the be placed like this ()?
Where do you buy your stuff? It won't fix anything. You may need flattener.
Witherfall 1st violet vinyl has a slight hump!!!
I keep an envelope (CD plastic bag) with some stickers, postcards and other witherfall extras (not thicker than an actual CD) inside the jacket. Could this have caused it?
If stuffed/hardpressed against sth else, yes.
I always take vinyl out of the original inner sleeve, put it in a new anti static one and always store it inside the jacket. I put everything included inside the jacket and always keep the original innersleeve between the vinyl and any extras (bonus CD or 7” or any other extras like the witherfall. I believe putting the innersleeve in between reduses pressure on the vinyl.
I guess all vinylmaniacs here do so. Or should do so.
Where do you store extra CDs or 7” that come together with the LPs?
Received Ironflame 2nd US press with extra 7” and EU press with extra CD today and I am thinking of altering my way and store extra 7” outside the jacket like you do with the actual records, but I don’t like to see the CDs on the outside!
What should I do?
I place them separately, although I do take a risk that I'll forget where they came from.

when talking about flatteners ... how good (or not) is this one? vinylflat.com/vinylflatproducts.html
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

Noisenik wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:22 pm Where do you buy your stuff?
I buy nearly 90% of my new releases from Underground Power Records whom I trust and have a very good communication.