Hellenic post = reliable?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Astra Wally

Hellenic post = reliable?

Post by Astra Wally »

Probably discussed here before but can't find a thread about it.

What is your opinion on the Greek postal service? Reliable or not? Did the economic crisis affect their service quality in any way? What about that voucher system?

Sent a package (not registered) there early June and the buyer received nothing so far. I wouldn't have started a thread about but since it's a rare record... I'm kinda worried.

Are lost/stolen packages something usual In Greece?

Thanks
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
vasilis2112

Re: Hellenic post = reliable?

Post by vasilis2112 »

I never had and problem the last 15+ years I receive or send records using the greek post. I don't live in a major city, so I use post office a lot (maybe more than 2-3 parcels per month!!).
Sometimes they are super fast, sometimes they are not, but I ve never lost anything, or received something damaged.
Don't worry, give them some more time. 1 month for a not-registered parcel is not TOO long.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I'm buying stuff from Greece on a regular basis for years, I have never had any trouble with the greek post office
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Using it since 1991 and I'm generally satisfied. What ever I lost recently, it was to blame on "bad" neighbours. However sometimes it's indirectly fault of the postman, as he doesn't ensure that you get the parcel in your hands ( at least inform you by ringing the doorbell), leaving it on reach of irelevant or even malicious people. But if we dig even deeper, it's not exactly his fault as we should have used a reliable mailbox or even get a PO Box.
Back to your initial question, I consider them reliable ( nevertheless, they don't always deliver on time)
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

I would like to add I have had more problems with DHL that greek postal system!
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

Never had a problem in many years!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I have ordered over 2000 items (cds/vinyl/books/dvd/vhs) through the years and I haven't received something like 10-15 of them. Half of that amount probably never got through the customs. I guess you can call it quite reliable. Sometimes it takes a bit longer, sometimes it's super fast. I generally regard it quite safe to use.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

yeah you have to be sure it gets delivered somewhere safe, definitely NOT the entrance of an apartment building, thats asking for trouble. other than that it's pretty ok considering it's the greek public sector. just make sure the parcel got lost , not 'lost'
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Thanks for your comments
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Haven't lost anything to or from Greece yet, BUT it takes a felt forever. Taking almost a whole month of delivery isn't seldom. Get's only topped by russian service which takes 1 month or longer and lots of stuff disappears there and to Italy too. To these 2 countries I do only ship registered. Otherwise the buyer gets informed with the invoice that he takes the risk himself if he wants unregistered mail.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I don't have anything bad to say about the greek post in my experience although I don't use it that often since 90% of the sellers from there are pushing bootlegs.

Not sure why you would send a rare expensive record unregistered though...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Buyer finally received his package yesterday, more than one month after sending.
Avenger wrote:Not sure why you would send a rare expensive record unregistered though...
It's the buyer's responsability to ask for registered shipping. If ever the record was lost, I wouldn't be held responsible. That's pretty obvious right?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Whenever I send out an expensive item I always send it registered myself, regardless of whether the buyer has chosen it or not. For 5 more euros it's simply not worth the risk and the hassle, I prefer to put the measly 5 euros out of my pocket rather than having the buyer breaking my balls every day and threatening to spoil my feedback if he doesn't receive the item.

It drives me fucking crazy when I see a seller selling an item for 500 euros and then asking for additional charges to send the fucking thing registered. What the fuck, man. How much difference does it make if you earn 445 euros instead of 453? These situations can only remind me of one thing:

Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Astra Wally wrote:Buyer finally received his package yesterday, more than one month after sending.
Avenger wrote:Not sure why you would send a rare expensive record unregistered though...
It's the buyer's responsability to ask for registered shipping. If ever the record was lost, I wouldn't be held responsible. That's pretty obvious right?
In theory, yes but paypal says otherwise. If the buyer paid by other means then you're good though.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

ION BRITTON wrote:Whenever I send out an expensive item I always send it registered myself, regardless of whether the buyer has chosen it or not. For 5 more euros it's simply not worth the risk and the hassle, I prefer to put the measly 5 euros out of my pocket rather than having the buyer breaking my balls every day and threatening to spoil my feedback if he doesn't receive the item.

It drives me fucking crazy when I see a seller selling an item for 500 euros and then asking for additional charges to send the fucking thing registered. What the fuck, man. How much difference does it make if you earn 445 euros instead of 453? These situations can only remind me of one thing:
Just for your information:

Normal shipping from Belgium to Greece: 13.05€
Registered shipping from Belgium to Greece: 32.80€ (!!!)....

...for only one LP.

It's not about being stingy or greedy in this case