Recent Metal Finds

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
loxx

Re: Recent Metal Finds (2016)

Post by loxx »

bigfootkit wrote: Wasn't there a connection between the band & some religious cult? Father Yod perhaps?
I read someone mentioning this but I'm not aware of this cult, will google that. But yeah, there is something terribly odd about
their image, lyrics and lack of self-awareness.
GulliverFoyle

Post by GulliverFoyle »

doomedplanet wrote:Thrashmageddon never charged for downloads, ever. I think there was some minor charge for entry if you were gay and did not contribute

Please read again what you have typed here. :lol:
Another lonely night, another no name town
it starts to look the same, it starts to bring me down
so many promises you knew I'd never keep
I'll make it up to you, baby, don't give up on me
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

I'm a gayer & I never paid anything there.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

You could bypass that by contributing. I think in 99% of the cases it was to block leechers. If you are a leech then there was no hope there for you anyway. Anyway it kept Avenger out and in that sense it was a success.
GulliverFoyle wrote:
doomedplanet wrote:Thrashmageddon never charged for downloads, ever. I think there was some minor charge for entry if you were gay and did not contribute

Priamos

Post by Priamos »

doomedplanet wrote: Anyway it kept Avenger out and in that sense it was a success.
:D
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

doomedplanet wrote:You could bypass that by contributing. I think in 99% of the cases it was to block leechers. If you are a leech then there was no hope there for you anyway. Anyway it kept Avenger out and in that sense it was a success.
GulliverFoyle wrote:

Actually, I had an account there under a different username at one point then realized that I actually had logic and morals so quit supporting the bullshit mentality of "we'll sell access to copyrighted material that we don't have the rights for" when it was introduced.

Tell me, does the cost of a "membership" actually go towards supporting any of the bands? How about the labels that suffer when their brand new releases were being uploaded there? I didn't think so...

That being said, you've still yet to address any of my points.

Your go-to of "keeping out the leechers" when the material being uploaded was leeched from elsewhere is a complete double standard. So is the narrative of "if you contribute you don't have to pay". Reason being that all the common stuff that anyone that's newer to the music would have has already been uploaded. This leaves only very obscure rarities that are sought after which these types of people would not have. So outside of the boys club circle jerk, they are forced to pay for material that was stolen from elsewhere to begin with.

It's alright, you don't have to bother with a reply at this point. I've already come to the conclusion that you believe it's okay to leech as long as it's not from the precious trashmagaydon :roll:

Keep up the good work.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Avenger, you have a point here, but as I told you, nothing is either black or white. When I entered the TMAG forum (Feb 2010), I was too bored (or too gay according to Doomedplanet :lol: ) to learn all the rules and the procedure about ripping and uploading, so I thought it was fair to pay in order to receive the priviliges other guys had, due to their personal contribution. After a while, I didn't like being passive and as I felt member of the community, (despite i wasn't obligated anymore) I started uploading MY RIPS from MY PERSONAL COLLECTION, or stuff that my friends ripped from their collection. I thought it was degrading and indignified to use other guys rips for mine, from other sites. I think that the majority of the uploads there, came from TMAG's members own sources as well. You must admit that this percentage (>50%) was way higher than any other similar site or forum.
As a conclusion, I think its too hard to define clearly and strictly the ethics of uploading music, because it's something illegal (=unethical??) from the beginning.

PS. The new stuff uploads were already banned when I entered. So we are talking mainly about OOP uploads that hardly harm the band. On the contrary, many times the spreading of the music (illegally) was the reason of the creation of a fan base, that led later to a legitimate reissue. But that's another talk.
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Priamos wrote:Avenger, you have a point here, but as I told you, nothing is either black or white. When I entered the TMAG forum (Feb 2010), I was too bored (or too gay according to Doomedplanet :lol: ) to learn all the rules and the procedure about ripping and uploading, so I thought it was fair to pay in order to receive the priviliges other guys had, due to their personal contribution. After a while, I didn't like being passive and as I felt member of the community, (despite i wasn't obligated anymore) I started uploading MY RIPS from MY PERSONAL COLLECTION, or stuff that my friends ripped from their collection. I thought it was degrading and indignified to use other guys rips for mine, from other sites. I think that the majority of the uploads there, came from TMAG's members own sources as well. You must admit that this percentage (>50%) was way higher than any other similar site or forum.
As a conclusion, I think its too hard to define clearly and strictly the ethics of uploading music, because it's something illegal (=unethical??) from the beginning.

PS. The new stuff uploads were already banned when I entered. So we are talking mainly about OOP uploads that hardly harm the band. On the contrary, many times the spreading of the music (illegally) was the reason of the creation of a fan base, that led later to a legitimate reissue. But that's another talk.
Not sure why this is being brought up when i already made it clear that not every upload was taken from elsewhere. That is obvious. I also don't have an issue with uploads in general. Especially if it's of material that you have purchased as I believe ownership grants you to do whatever you want with the music since you are purchasing a physical object and not a paper license but again that's a different topic which we've already debated to death in the past.

The problem I have is trying to justify how someone can post with a straight face that anyone downloading without "contribution" from the precious trashmagaydon is a "leecher" when a good portion of the material uploaded there was taken from elsewhere and that in the past brand new releases were uploaded with regularity until guys like Iordan made a stink about it. Then to top it off these guys feel they have a right to charge for what they deem as "leeched" material?

This tops the list as some of the most blatant hypocrisy I've ever seen.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

loxx wrote:
bigfootkit wrote: Wasn't there a connection between the band & some religious cult? Father Yod perhaps?
I read someone mentioning this but I'm not aware of this cult, will google that. But yeah, there is something terribly odd about
their image, lyrics and lack of self-awareness.
:lol:
Nice turn of phrase.
According to Clear Spot;
"THE LAW was an esoteric "power trio" comprised of former Source Family initiates (think Father Yod and Ya Ho Wa 13) formed in 1979 on a remote ranch in the foothills of Hawaii. In 1983 the band relocated to Los Angeles, where they hit the strip and independently released this sole recording before abruptly vanishing in a cloud of leather, spandex, studs and shurikens. Originally limited to 4.000 copies (so the band insists), this heavy slab has been fully remastered with the cooperation of original members and Source Family historian Isis Aquarian. Alternately sleazy and spiritual, mystic and profane, 'None Escape' is the real deal. A lost gem from the early 1980's heavy metal crown has finally been restored! Enjoy this slinking Dionysian tease."

Whilst the 'Source Family' connection may be true, that description of their music is utter drivel, unless perhaps it's the one & only record the writer has ever heard.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG (94.89 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
€22.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Ok, so I also got myself a copy of that Weapon (US) self titled LP. If you can live with the (very) Brian Johnson-esque vocals, this is nothing short of a complete private metal ripper. Recommended!

Be sure to also check out the Roland Quest single if you like the guitar sound.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Forgot to add the picture.

Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Always puts a smile on my face any time i see the sleeve of Death Alley. Any time i need to get stuff done that's my go to record. Total head removal.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote:Always puts a smile on my face any time i see the sleeve of Death Alley. Any time i need to get stuff done that's my go to record. Total head removal.
I think I referred to it on Facebook as a "complete sonic car crash", if I'm not mistaken. :-)
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Lama

Post by Lama »

Yep, incredible record! One of my all time favourite bands.
Kampel Destruction