NO MORE MISTER POSTMAN!!! (horror stories thread)

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Astra Wally

Re: NO MORE MISTER POSTMAN!!! (horror stories thread)

Post by Astra Wally »

Glad I have none of those stories to share. Except for a few records received with bent corners.

I have lived in a small village for more than 20 years and I always thought postmen in rural areas were more respectful, friendly and competent. Am I wrong ?
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Astra Wally wrote:Glad I have none of those stories to share. Except for a few records received with bent corners.

I have lived in a small village for more than 20 years and I always thought postmen in rural areas were more respectful, friendly and competent. Am I wrong ?
Probably depends on the rural area, most of my stories happened when I lived in a rural area.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Warepire wrote:
Astra Wally wrote:Glad I have none of those stories to share. Except for a few records received with bent corners.

Probably depends on the rural area, most of my stories happened when I lived in a rural area.
Depends on WHO is postman and what are his/her experience with ppl in general and metalheads in particular. I dare to say that metalheads have to develop very good relations with postmen and post officers. Anyhow, they are important part in chain delivery. Of course, sender has to undertake all precautions needed.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Noisenik wrote:
Prowler wrote: When a Sabbat (UK) LP came I already saw that something must be wrong here. Opened the worn parcel and the vinyl was bend like 60°! It is unbelievable but I got it straight (playable) with my hair dryer! My heart stopped beating when I saw this! It's a miracle that it wasn't broken!
How exactly hair dryer is applied in such circumstances?
Haven't you tried yet? :D
You need to wait till the vinyl got a special temperature than take the hair dryer off. You see that when the vinyl starts moving slowly, usually it's stiff, then slowly while getting hotter and hotter it's getting softer. The hair dryer has to get moved from the outside to the inside of the record in a larger area than the wave is because the tensions inside the vinyl need to spread over a bigger area.
When it's getting soft then hair dryer off put a thick book with clean cover (no structures! I usuall use the Swedish HM Enceclopedia + Headbangers Book! lol) on it. Wait 5 min and the wave should be gone.
BUT it always depends on the tensions that are inside the vinyl. Some waves get immediately straight, other just wander on to another spot of the record. Those records you can throw away. But it's 1 out of 5.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Noisenik wrote:
Warepire wrote:

Depends on WHO is postman and what are his/her experience with ppl in general and metalheads in particular. I dare to say that metalheads have to develop very good relations with postmen and post officers. Anyhow, they are important part in chain delivery. Of course, sender has to undertake all precautions needed.
Correct, the postman said that I'm saving his job and the customs officer greets me by my name, even when there's a three month break! :mrgreen:
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Prowler wrote:
Noisenik wrote:
Prowler wrote: When a Sabbat (UK) LP came I already saw that something must be wrong here. Opened the worn parcel and the vinyl was bend like 60°! It is unbelievable but I got it straight (playable) with my hair dryer! My heart stopped beating when I saw this! It's a miracle that it wasn't broken!
How exactly hair dryer is applied in such circumstances?
Haven't you tried yet? :D
You need to wait till the vinyl got a special temperature than take the hair dryer off. You see that when the vinyl starts moving slowly, usually it's stiff, then slowly while getting hotter and hotter it's getting softer. The hair dryer has to get moved from the outside to the inside of the record in a larger area than the wave is because the tensions inside the vinyl need to spread over a bigger area.
When it's getting soft then hair dryer off put a thick book with clean cover (no structures! I usuall use the Swedish HM Enceclopedia + Headbangers Book! lol) on it. Wait 5 min and the wave should be gone.
BUT it always depends on the tensions that are inside the vinyl. Some waves get immediately straight, other just wander on to another spot of the record. Those records you can throw away. But it's 1 out of 5.
Whoa!!! Amazing ... . At next occasion you should record a video and put it on youtube. :D
I am ... the One you warned me of
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Prowler wrote:[quotes about postmen in rural areas, required to be cut out because of forum limits]

Correct, the postman said that I'm saving his job and the customs officer greets me by my name, even when there's a three month break! :mrgreen:
If you have a job like mine (or study at University like I did before I got the job), you're not home when the postman comes, I lived there for 8 years and never once met him/her. And the postal center where I got to pick up registered stuff and EMS, they were in a big town with too many employees to ever be serviced by the same person twice.

The postal center where I live now is much smaller, only 4-5 employees, so they might begin recognizing me after a while. Haven't lived here long enough yet.
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

Noisenik wrote:
Warepire wrote:

Here postmen are taking turns on different areas they work in...
One time, I had to pay a large amount of custom fees because ONE record was packed in a box with dimensions 1m*0.5m*0.5m
:D That's actually a nice (and expansive) joke to put on someone^^, send a 7inch in a huge box with tons of other shit in it.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

One time, I had to pay a large amount of custom fees because ONE record was packed in a box with dimensions 1m*0.5m*0.5m
:D That's actually a nice (and expansive) joke to put on someone^^, send a 7inch in a huge box with tons of other shit in it.[/quote]

Bacon and anchovies? :P :D
Never trust the Goblin King....
Deathammer

Post by Deathammer »

Even tho the shipping rates here in Finland are insane (and keep on rising) the postal system is trustworthy and never had anything destroyed or lost by them and or if the package doesn't fit in your mailbox, they ALWAYS leave a note saying you can receive your parcel later at the office... Of course the post can't do nothing to stupid people who can't pack shit, but I've been lucky so far only receiving only one a bit damaged record in the mail. It was Bathory s/t press on black mark in pretty good shape but then of course suffered some injuries after traveling a few hundred km between the seller and me packed only in bubble wrap. Luckily the vinyl was in one piece and the damages sleeve took were minor after all. Sucks but I know theres more to come in the future...
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

No one should take a hair dryer to an LP under any circumstances. Stories like this make me horrified to buy used LPs. A slight storage edge warp may be corrected by one of those $2000 machines that provide very controlled, even heat to the LP but heat causes permanent damage to the lands and grooves that can never be fixed. Dished or heat warped LPs should be thrown in the trash if they don't play.
humus

Post by humus »

Warepire wrote:If you have a job like mine (or study at University like I did before I got the job), you're not home when the postman comes, I lived there for 8 years and never once met him/her. And the postal center where I got to pick up registered stuff and EMS, they were in a big town with too many employees to ever be serviced by the same person twice.

The postal center where I live now is much smaller, only 4-5 employees, so they might begin recognizing me after a while. Haven't lived here long enough yet.
I have all my records arrive at my parents place (they are retired). Mind you, my father receives even more packages than I do (not records though).
Actually a few years ago Rise above sent me a package and forgot the street address. So just my name and the town where I live. Someone at the post office completed the address by hand, including the house number, and the package got delivered. Guess we're some kind of known name in the post office :lol:
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

One broken cd from Germany - he just threw it in an envelope without case so... it wasn't Postman's fault :-)

A couple of crazy things took place but not in my country - in the sender's one... For example someone from a small city in NY State sent my packet to Belarus (!) and after the "small" trip the packet ended up here...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

humus wrote:
Warepire wrote:If you have a job like mine (or study at University like I did before I got the job), you're not home when the postman comes, I lived there for 8 years and never once met him/her. And the postal center where I got to pick up registered stuff and EMS, they were in a big town with too many employees to ever be serviced by the same person twice.

I have all my records arrive at my parents place (they are retired). Mind you, my father receives even more packages than I do (not records though).
Actually a few years ago Rise above sent me a package and forgot the street address. So just my name and the town where I live. Someone at the post office completed the address by hand, including the house number, and the package got delivered. Guess we're some kind of known name in the post office :lol:
Same here, all parcels are delivered to my parent's place as I'm not at home during day. I hate when the post driver decided to deliver the stuff to my real address (although the address of my parents was written on the label) thinking he's doing a favor to me, because then the stuff ends up in neighbours hand (once it took a full week because I did not know he got the parcel instead) or will be given back to the post office to pick up there coz I wasn't at home. And then it takes even longer to get the stuff. They know exactly where their best customers do live! haha
Manillaungol

Post by Manillaungol »

Here in the states the USPS carriers are usually the same for many years unless they are off that day and that's when problems can arise, our postal carrier knows us by name so if the address does get messed up and all he has is a city and last name he will get it to us easily.