Record stores in Prague?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Trigger

Record stores in Prague?

Post by Trigger »

Searched for a while around the site and decided to start a new record store recommendation thread, so please, can anyone help? I'll be there next month and it's a good chance to hit the stores and put some more vinyls on my furniture's shelves.
Never trust the Goblin King....
The Ripper

Post by The Ripper »

Although it's been more than ten years since my last visit in Prague, I remember vividly buying some cool vinyls there in a second hand record store (not only metal), located somewhere in the old town (a the first floor of a building, it had a banner on the road). The prices were ridiculously low back then. I 'd bought Attacker's 'Battle..', Barren Crosses' 'Rock...', 220 Volt's 'Mind Over..', some Czech vinyls and other titles as well. Price for each vinyl was not more than 4-5 euros at current rates. I believe there will still be good record stores!
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

The Ripper wrote:Although it's been more than ten years since my last visit in Prague, I remember vividly buying some cool vinyls there in a second hand record store (not only metal), located somewhere in the old town (a the first floor of a building, it had a banner on the road). The prices were ridiculously low back then. I 'd bought Attacker's 'Battle..', Barren Crosses' 'Rock...', 220 Volt's 'Mind Over..', some Czech vinyls and other titles as well. Price for each vinyl was not more than 4-5 euros at current rates. I believe there will still be good record stores!
I don`t know if you`re talking about the one at Krakovska street by chance - just beside the Vaclav square - cause I recall I would buy quite a few times there and the prices were cheap indeed (I got Riot`s Privilege of Power for about 2 Euros among others). Sadly, that shop is no longer.
humus

Post by humus »

I've been there a few times in recent years and never found anything decent.

How I wish I was old enough to be into metal when I visited the country with my parents right after the fall of the iron curtain...
The Ripper

Post by The Ripper »

We might be talking about the same shop..my memory has faded after all these years!
Anyway, my experience when traveling abroad has showed me that you can find good stuff in record fairs (very common in Europe) or second hand record stores that usually trade various styles. You can easily locate them by looking at street advertisements or asking metallers walking by in the street (i did that in Stockholm some 15 years ago!).
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

I recalled that the shop in question is CD Bazar and, lo and behold:

http://www.cdkrakovska.cz/index.php?vie ... ka&lang=en

It is working still
Apparently the shop was being reconstructed when I was in Prague last time...Bad luck.

As for the Czech Republic and Slovakia, it happened to me a few times that I found good, not so easy to find records in second hand book shops (like the one in Bratislava, where I bought a few interesting Czech LPs for 2 Euro each, among them Dark Scramasax).
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

I would love to visit Prague someday!
MechaBarbarian

Post by MechaBarbarian »

I just came home from a week in Prague and while I was there i tried visiting a few record stores.

CD bazar, next to Vaclav Square has lots of LPs and CDs so If you're lucky you can find some good stuff there ( I found Sanctuary's Into the Mirror Black and a Silver mountain Vinyl). Beware though the records are not at all sorted by genre but some strange notion of alphabetical order. If you want to find something metal you REALLY have to be prepared to look around.

The music antiquariat behind the old square doesn't stock much metal (only about 10 records in the ''Heavy'' section) and most of them were throwaway there was one Kruiz record though! So since the place is so small and so close to the old town square I recomend just stopping by for a minute because you might get lucky.

Maximum Underground had a good stock of newly pressed Vinyl. Nothing second hand as far as I could see though. Worth a look!

I bet there are more but these are the ones I was able to visit. There is one called Disco Duck( :) ) which I wanted t got o but never had the time. And other CD bazars and a bigger music store called Bontonland.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Thank you, all! I wish you MechaBarbarian could be faster, as I came back on Sunday. Found 3-4 stores but nothing better than the one at Vaclav, which in turn was nothing really special. Could score a few records and didn;t see anyone searchng for metal, so maybe I got something you wanted :)
Thanks indeed!
Never trust the Goblin King....
MechaBarbarian

Post by MechaBarbarian »

Trigger wrote:Thank you, all! I wish you MechaBarbarian could be faster, as I came back on Sunday. Found 3-4 stores but nothing better than the one at Vaclav, which in turn was nothing really special. Could score a few records and didn;t see anyone searchng for metal, so maybe I got something you wanted :)
Thanks indeed!
Hah! Maybe we passed by eachother I got back monday!
What records did you manage to find? (i.e what records could've been mine?)
:twisted:
Shimrod

Re: Record stores in Prague?

Post by Shimrod »

Hi folks, any update to those informations?
The Ripper

Re: Record stores in Prague?

Post by The Ripper »

Not an update but a memoire from nearby Bratislava, i recall getting some Tublatanka cd's from that shop as well as Steel Assassin - From the vaults cd!