Horrific crimes of record collecting

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Ha. Need Sad Wings too!
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well
Luis

Post by Luis »

Dirty Rocker wrote:There is alot of classic stuff missing from my collection, one reason is I sold alot bcos I needed money and didn't want to get rid of any rarities. I need to buy the whole iron maiden vinyl discography again!! I will do with the judas priest discography for now. :)
Only Judas Priest is real!
daniel

Post by daniel »

Surprised people have things like that missing... In general any judgement of someone else as lesser for not owning something you do is stupid enough, so there is no purely objective truth to be reached at the end of any argument. Can't help but say it was a matter of honesty unto myself to start from the ground up though.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
caminantenocturno

Post by caminantenocturno »

May well also depend on what is called classic...

I would say that I have most of the classics or standards from the 80ies, still I am missing some, and the situation for the 70ies is quite different. Some albums I bought back then on CD which now I wish I had not, but I am quite systematically buying LPs to replace older tapes copied from friends. Also I never have been much of a rarities hunter, so of the bands that were obscure in the 80ies, I do not have much. Of course from today's point of view a lot of the older bands are forgotten and therefore obscure now.

Then again, that is all after around 25 years of collecting, for somebody in his /her twens it must be completely different.
mordred

Post by mordred »

I remember that brief shiny moment of my life when I had put all cd's I wanted from Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Black Sabbath, Saxon, Manowar, Accept, Savatage, Queensrÿche and the like on my shelves and concluded there was no more 80's metal of note to obtain. :)
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

mordred wrote:I remember that brief shiny moment of my life when I had put all cd's I wanted from Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Black Sabbath, Saxon, Manowar, Accept, Savatage, Queensrÿche and the like on my shelves and concluded there was no more 80's metal of note to obtain. :)
I have a hard time adding Queensryche to the list. 2 1/2 decent records and the rest, which are questionably even Metal doesn't qualify as "classic necessity" status to me.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Avenger wrote:
mordred wrote:I remember that brief shiny moment of my life when I had put all cd's I wanted from Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Black Sabbath, Saxon, Manowar, Accept, Savatage, Queensrÿche and the like on my shelves and concluded there was no more 80's metal of note to obtain. :)
I have a hard time adding Queensryche to the list. 2 1/2 decent records and the rest, which are questionably even Metal doesn't qualify as "classic necessity" status to me.
For me, the same goes for Accept and Savatage, and not many more records by Saxon and Dio either. Differing tastes...

I know that feeling Mordred, only my moment of that feeling lasted for something like five years.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Very true but Queensryche after "The Warning" started to sell out and drastically lose they're Metal edge. Meanwhile, the other bands listed have several records that remained part of the genre.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

scAvenger ,i agree with you i am afraid.
kuinsryches, dei lost they're metal etz!! i kan has cheeburger too. 'their'-possessive pronoun- you speaks the england tongue very bestest.i -poor scum greeceman from hicksville vlahovillage -bow before your proficiency in the art of grammar.
anyway i'm forced to agree.
I dont own too many records from the 'classic megabands' either.almost none i think.being introduced to warlord,riot and omen from the tender age of 14 tends to do that to you
flame on ^^
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

MassOfKthulu wrote:scAvenger ,i agree with you i am afraid.
kuinsryches, dei lost they're metal etz!! i kan has cheeburger too. 'their'-possessive pronoun- you speaks the england tongue very bestest.i -poor scum greeceman from hicksville vlahovillage -bow before your proficiency in the art of grammar.
:?:
mordred

Post by mordred »

Personally I don't see how Queensrÿche post The Warning and up until 1990 is not metal or not classic but that doesn't matter. My favorite album from them is Operation Mindcrime, it's a top 10 album of all time for me, but the point was not which bands I mentioned. The point was that for a short while I thought I had heard pretty much all 80's metal of note and either acquired it for my collection or written it off as nothing of interest.

Not so much later I realized there was a vast ocean of forgotten 80's metal to explore and with time I also grew to love some of the bands I had written off earlier, like Venom, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond and Candlemass.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Avenger wrote:
I think that was a very roundabout way of saying it's supposed to be "their" instead of "they're".
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I don't believe any band is good enough to own every single album, obviously some people have to own everything for collectors sake but that is another story.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Khnud wrote:
Avenger wrote:
I think that was a very roundabout way of saying it's supposed to be "their" instead of "they're".
Thanks for the clarification. Apparently he's never used a phone with autocorrect on it before.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Abyss wrote:I don't believe any band is good enough to own every single album, obviously some people have to own everything for collectors sake but that is another story.
My opinion too. I surely don't own every record from a specific band. Maybe the ones that come really close (from the classic bands) regarding full-length albums are Black Sabbath and Manilla Road.

Having said that I don't feel the necessity to buy every record of a favourite band of mine just for the sake of having everything. If I feel the album is not worth having because it is sub-standard (whenever it is possible to listen to the album beforehand) I don't buy it. Better use the money for other records which I deem essential.
"Spitting in the face of mainstream music"

Owner of Iron Horde Promotions
Organizer of the Malta Doom Metal Festival
http://www.maltadoom.com