Collectors' regrets

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Keir

Collectors' regrets

Post by Keir »

We all make mistakes. What are some of your worst mistakes as far as collecting old, obscure metal goes? Ever sell a record for $5 and later discover it's worth $500? Paid big bucks for something that turned out to be a cheap reproduction? Or maybe you passed on a good deal and have been kicking yourself ever since...

My biggest regret is none of these, but rather that I ever bought cassettes. I grew up listening to records, but when I started buying my own music (in 1986 or '87) I primarily bought tapes. Even worse, I didn't start buying CDs until well into the 90s ('95 or '96 I believe). Now I look at those 100s of tapes and I can't help think what a nice record collection it could have been.
ancient tyranny

Post by ancient tyranny »

This thread will hurt for sure.
Before discovering ebay I sold a bunch of records to some second hand store for about 3-4 Euros, well if I´ve keept most of them I would get some descent money now.
Anyhow back then it was ok to get rid of that records (mostly BM stuff).
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

thread for opening old wounds, ouch!

Judging from today's point of view the biggest mistake was that I sold too many things. That I sold them at all, what I deeply regret nowadays. Remember I had plenty of stuff on vinyl then want the same things on cds - toys as DaN would say. aaaargh!!! then started selling cds as well due to interest in other genres. Today am in the process of regaining them, but cannot ignore the bitterness I taste with it.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Seeing a bunch of Mausoleum Classixs go unsold or for nothing (I can't remember which) on Australian eBay and ignoring them! :( I was 16-17 and only just getting into buying music and Metal (trying out mediorce bands like Iced Earth and Slayer for eg.) It haunts me to this day.

Also not getting enough of newer true metal bands releases when I had the chance.
Last edited by Nicko McBuff on Tue May 08, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
humus

Post by humus »

Being just minutes too late to buy a Root - Temple in the underworld LP for €20 from a dealer. Trading the first Watain LP away. Not buying the Nifelheim full-lenghts when Iron pegasus was selling them for 25DM/each. Seeing the 666 7" from Root with a €10 buy it now on ebay, not buy it for some unknown reason, returning from the pub and seeing it is sold already.
And basically, not buying the releases on my wantlist that were issued in the last 6 years (when I started getting vinyl).
sabbat666

Post by sabbat666 »

I bought the Sacrifice- Crest of Black LP from some dude who decided to ship it inside the jacket. it came with huge splits on it. :(

other than that i regret passing up the visual scandal 7" .thought 100 dollars was too much, but now i never see it and would gladly pay 300.

and passing up on the prowler/yoke of steel split 8". i never see it anymore either.
peterott

Post by peterott »

unfortunately I went to school and studied at university in the best Death/Black Metal years (1985-2000), so money was always short. And if I could work in the holidays everything went into the collection, but that was not too much.

* Hellion Records had several years the Burzum - Aske MCD with zippo for 30DM (ca. 15 Euros) for sale, but I never bought it. Now it goes on ebay for >300 Euros.
* It took Merciless Records years to sell all the Burzum/Mayhem/Emperor/Immortal LPs. Now the Burzum LPs will remain on my want-list due to the insane prices. The rest I got through moonprices or tough trades as well.
* Not having bought Samael's Medieval Prophecy 7" on a holiday trip in Norway during my student-days as I couldn't afford the 20 Euros anymore for it......
* not having bought the Aske MLP for 35 Euros at the same trip in the same shop.
* not having bought the Apocalyptic Raids MLP test-pressing, which exists 4 times in the world from some former Hellhammer Roadie. Oh boy. I only could afford the Death Fiend demo, hehe... but nevertheless... that was in the midst of my studies when money was really really short.
* in the early ebay-times (1998...2000) when you could get rare stuff for cool prices, my PC crashed a couple of seconds before the Reencarnacion - 7" auction ended. First time ever that I saw it anbd that was a time when no one knew this band, and the auction ended for less than 5 DM and I had over 50DM (approx 25 euros) already entered when fucking Bill Gates' revenge hit my PC.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

peterott wrote:unfortunately I went to school and studied at university in the best Death/Black Metal years (1985-2000), so money was always short.
Same here, all the money from my holiday work went to metal, partying and beer (a large part of it still goes to metal, partying and beer). I regret that I bought a shitload of crap (now I consider it crap) on cd during the 90's and didn't put energy in finding real metal things on LP. I've encountered tons of rare stuff I've never picked up, because I wasn't that much in collecting vinyl in the 90's. I remember seeing stuff like Heathens Rage for almost nothing AAARRGGH. If I could turn back time :roll:
Long Live The Loud !!!
ancient tyranny

Post by ancient tyranny »

peterott wrote: * Hellion Records had several years the Burzum - Aske MCD with zippo for 30DM (ca. 15 Euros) for sale, but I never bought it. Now it goes on ebay for >300 Euros.
It always hurts when going through some old Mags and see those Hellion advertises with all the early BM (not only) stuff getting sold for special low prices.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

ancient tyranny wrote:
peterott wrote: * Hellion Records had several years the Burzum - Aske MCD with zippo for 30DM (ca. 15 Euros) for sale, but I never bought it. Now it goes on ebay for >300 Euros.
It always hurts when going through some old Mags and see those Hellion advertises with all the early BM (not only) stuff getting sold for special low prices.
Not only that. :( I still have a tiny rose-coloured Hellion gesamt list from 1994 when they had a vinyl sell-out. Tons of rare thrash albums for such a ridiculous prices, that ... For example Moral Crusade, Chronical Disturbance, ... for less than 10 marks apiece. I think ChDi were 3-DeM. Today I haven't even seen 'em for sale. Oh, I had Burzum - Aske original. Guess what I did with it.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I had a bad habit of lending my LP's to "friends" in the early days & either getting the LP back in shocking, destroyed condition or not remembering who I lent the record to in the first place, and never seeing it again!!! Many lost as a result of this... :cry:

I also once let a friend borrow some of my Bathory LP's years ago, and they came back worse than second-hand condition, he must have been eating a greasy hamburger while he was listening to them... totally soiled & destroyed..! At least I got them back I guess.. makes me feel ill when I look/listen to them now tho'.

-The moral of this story is not to let friends borrow records!

...at least not for me since that incident.

I also traded the Hobbs Angel Of Death demos in 1989 for 3 King Diamond LP's :cry:
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

In the biginning of the 80ies i took my records to partys and discos and some of them get stolen from time to time.
So instead of putting a sticker with my adress on it, what i found ugly, i did perforate all my recordcovers for reconising them !!!
So now i have about 400 records from the early 80ies with a 4mm hole in the upper left corner of the cover !!!!!!! :cry:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

tbieri wrote:So instead of putting a sticker with my adress on it, what i found ugly, i did perforate all my recordcovers for reconising them !!!
So now i have about 400 records from the early 80ies with a 4mm hole in the upper left corner of the cover !!!!!!! :cry:
:lol:
Sorry but I couldn't help myself. That was kinda funny in a painful sort of way..

"Regrets, I've had a few..."
Nothing particular comes to mind, maybe buying SHELDER for $200 when I had a good month moneywise and though "finally I'm gonna buy one of those collector-dream items whatever the cost!" Of course this LP turned up everywhere for about 50 euros a few months later since someone obviously found a whole box of them :evil:

Generally I regret that my Metal-interest was at its lowest in the early/mid 90's when you could finds tons of quality vinyl for an equal of 1-2 euros everywhere in Sweden.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

DaN wrote: Nothing particular comes to mind, maybe buying SHELDER for $200 when I had a good month moneywise and though "finally I'm gonna buy one of those collector-dream items whatever the cost!" Of course this LP turned up everywhere for about 50 euros a few months later since someone obviously found a whole box of them :evil: .
SHELDER is a good example ! I've payed 100 Euros ! What a shitty Record !

Anotherone is ZEN VENOM ! I've payed only $100 or $120 what was very cheap, but musically very dissapointing ! The Singer is so unispired that he really gets on my nervs ! Sound slike he's sleeping while singin !
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I think Shelder is my case as well. happily I could trade it against an Agentz lp I think 8)