Collectors' regrets

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
tomas

Post by tomas »

Not buying the Detaching From Satan EP (Paul Chain) when I saw it in some second hand recordstore in Ghent 5 years ago, for 6 fuckin' euros! My metal interest was at its lowest ...

Not buying LPs when I was getting into metal in 1994.

Edit:
By the way: Paradoxx sukx!!!! Totally awful!
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

A record store in the nearest town where I grew up went out of business around 1986-87. It was a tiny shop, but they had lots of European metal. They had a sale and were selling a case of vinyl for around €200. I don't remember the exact contents (none of those LPs were rare at the time, obviously), but there was most of the Mausoleum stuff, probably most of the Black Dragon releases, NWOBHM stuff, lots of Swedish material (I remember Heavy Load, Gotham City and some other things there - they actually had a lot Swedish metal singles. I saw quite a few of the ones in Dan's "101" list there). I think there must have been a couple of hundred albums in it. I had the money, but only picked a few items.

One of the LPs I bought was Haunting the Chapel. A couple of months later I let a friend loan it, and it came back totally ruined. Argh. All the other LPs I bought at that sale, I have still got, and they are all in great shape. Like Manilla Road's Open the Gates from Black Dragon.

And I'll add my voice to those who don't rate the Paradoxx. It's totally uninteresting.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Hollow Ground- I've come so close so many times

Missed a copy of the Hollow Ground EP in the pic sleeve for $75. My girlfriend and I were driving home for spring break and while she drove I flipped through a Sale list i got in the mail right before we left. I saw the HG listed and almost pissed myself, but we were on the road in the middle of nowehre (and this was 1995, before everyone and their cat had 5 cell phones). when we got to my parents' house hours later, i called the guy up and said I'd take it, but he told me he'd sold it a few hours earlier.
I missed a 2nd copy w/ the pic sleeve about 2 years later. When I called, the guy said, "sure it's yours" but then he called back about 30 minutes later and told me he'd forgotten that it had actually sold earlier that day. He was extremely apologetic and gave me a good buy on some other items to sorta make up for it, but still...
Also ended up losing a copy on ebay by less than $5 in early 2004. Finally ended up buying a sleeveless copy.
Astaroth

Post by Astaroth »

Man I have a few regrets, mostly paying absolute fucking crazy prices for stuff but that doesn't really bother me too much now. It did at the time though.

- Trading the SoL Domni Satnasi LP for some really crap CD's and an EP (I have no idea why I did this) but luckily I got the LP back
- Paying $200 USD for the Inquisition MLP
- Trading my Sad Ex Magus LP for Gods of War and it arrived in the mail snapped in half - again luckily I got the LP back as well as Gods of War from someone else

Probably got a lot more but in hindsight it's not too bad. I guess I'm like Jerry in that 'even Steven' Seinfeld episode except I'm not Jewish :lol:
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Astaroth wrote: Probably got a lot more but in hindsight it's not too bad. I guess I'm like Jerry in that 'even Steven' Seinfeld episode except I'm not Jewish :lol:
Great to see another fan here :wink: I'm a huge Seinfeld fan.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

ancient tyranny wrote:
It always hurts when going through some old Mags and see those Hellion advertises with all the early BM (not only) stuff getting sold for special low prices.
You hit the nail right on the head, ouch! :cry: