Dementia, Bloodbath & Decimator (Ohio)

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
E5150

Dementia, Bloodbath & Decimator (Ohio)

Post by E5150 »

This is a doubt that I've for some time, and I wonder if any of you have any information about it, and / or can help me in any way.

Last year, I received from a friend a demo of a band called Dementia (from Ohio), and the name of that demo is "Plead or Bleed". At the time I looked for information about the band, but unfortunately I don't found anything about it. However, when I was turning some old demos here, I found one of the same name, also of a band from Ohio, but their name were Bloodbath. Listening to the demo I realized that it was the same material. So, I sent an email to that my friend asking if he wouldn't have confused and exchanged the demos when he sent to me, but he told me that not even because the rip was done starting from the original tape. He also said he would ask a friend from Ohio if he knew anything about it, but never answered me about it, nor my subsequent emails.

I began to suspect that maybe this band (Dementia) could be a kind of "embryo" (or pre-band) of Bloodbath...
There are some days ago, I found a blog that apparently did a special on some bands from Ohio, and I found another information about Dementia, that they were also from the same town of Bloodbath, Youngstown.

Also found these two images that make me believe even more than this demo wasn't released under the name Bloodbath:

For those who have the demo Bloodbath and want to compare (and for those who don't know too), here's a song coming from another source (with a superior quality to rips that I found floating around):

Dementia - Homicidal Assault

My other question is regarding a band (also from Ohio, but from Warren) called Decimator. According to the only information I found about the band, they were active in the late '80s and early '90s and released an LP (!) called "Do Unto Others". They are a solid Thrash band:

Decimator - Fatal Vision

If anyone knows of something and want to share, I'd be very grateful! Anyway, any information is welcome!

Thanks in advance! (and sorry for my bad english...)
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Sorry that I can't help you. It's been ages since I heard the Bloodbath demo and don't even know if I still have a rip of it.

That Decimator track is fantastic though. I would also like to know more about this band. The fact that they are from Ohio makes sense as that scene was full of quality acts. Any idea what year the track is from?
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
E5150

Post by E5150 »

No problem! I figured it would be hard to get any information about it. But, thank you for having responded to the topic.

About Decimator, unfortunately I only know the above information. The exact date is still unknown to me (I know it was recorded in the late '80s and early '90s). The most curious thing is that this song was taken from an LP, but never seen anything about it (and I think a lot of people here too). Maybe that was released independently and in very few copies...
Necrometer

Re: Dementia, Bloodbath & Decimator (Ohio)

Post by Necrometer »

I have already done some PMing with E5150 but I will start from scratch for the sake of the forum.

Decimator is extremely familiar to me since two of my uncles (my mom's brothers, Eric and Todd) played guitar in the band. These guys are totally responsible for me getting into metal, all the way back to the first time I saw Megadeth's Holy Wars music video at around age 12.

That was in 1992, around the same time the Decimator demo cassette EP "Do Unto Others" was self-released. (I emailed one of the former members and even he can't confirm the exact year of the release!) As was speculated, this demo had a very limited release and was only on cassette. They had one other very primitive demo tape that was never properly released; I have only heard that once and I don't think it was their best material.

Because there is some interest here, I have finally taken the energy to convert the demo to MP3 format, which I can offer for download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zkc74dfkg9ykh32/
I apologize for the poor quality; I wasn't using ideal equipment. Also, I had mis-labeled the ID3 tag of the second track name; it's now fixed.

Here is an album containing some photos of the demo, including the lyrics: http://imgur.com/a/fiX7m

And finally, here are the first two songs on the album to stream. If you like these, be sure to check out the album!
[youtube]ncMjj1akxbQ[/youtube]

[youtube]zA9WiXkoj5U[/youtube]

I really enjoyed this album as a teenager, with only the last track "Burn" sticking out as a bit of a dud. As I got a bit older, I began to appreciate it a bit more deeply, since the transitions are a lot more interesting and creative that what a lot of thrash bands come up with. There's some really memorable lead guitar work going on as well. Culturally, it's a great time capsule of a bunch of guys in the middle of nowhere trying their best to emulate the "big four" while adding their own creative efforts. I have no idea what I would think of this record if I heard it for the first time today, in a naive way, so I am curious what others here think of it.

If anyone has any questions, just let me know.
Last edited by Necrometer on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

"Do Unto Others" is pretty good, thanks, would also love to hear that full Dementia demo shown above.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Thanks for uploading!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Hi,
I am Tod Chismark the former lead singer for Decimator from Warren, Ohio. It was a welcome surprise to find the mp3's online. Great job!!!

We started out in the basement of our drummer Mark Koncki, with Todd Koleszar and Eric Koleszar playing guitars and Acid Steve as our original bassist. We played a bunch of shows in the Youngstown/Warren area in 1989/1990 opening up for Wretch and several other bands. Steve got replaced by Frettless Jerry as bassist for a few months and then we found Tim Frederick (way cool jr.), and this became our most successful lineup. We entered into a battle of the bands at Flash Gordon's on Brookpark Road on the west side of Cleveland in 1990. Amazingly the Cleveland Plain Dealer only took 1 photo of us during the night as they knew nothing about us and we didn't have that special look. Tell me any real METAL band that does. (HAHA) We ended up winning the battle of the bands and that set us up with some studio time. We went into the studio over 2 weeks and made the demo Do Unto Others. Another caveat of winning the battle was that we got chosen to open for national acts at Flash Gordon's. The most notable being Pantera on the Cowboys from Hell tour, what and awesome night and show! We continued to do shows in 1990/1991 and called it quits due to Eddie Van Halen Syndrome in the band. We had just hired a manager and Sony Music was interested but they only wanted 4 of us and not Todd Koleszar due to his dominant personality. That basically led to our demise and we all parted company. We have never had a reunion, although that would be awesome in my opinion.

I am not sure where everyone is today but Tim Frederick stuck with it, played around the world in several bands, and is currently playing with Wretch. Check them out at wretchmetal.com

Feel free to ask more questions as it may spark some remnants of memories.
Thanks again for the MP3's and the youtube postings!!!!!!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Hellcome, Tod!
I am ... the One you warned me of
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Thanks for the bio and back story. Stuff like this is among the best part of this place.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Keir

Post by Keir »

Hey Tod! I saw Wretch at the Ragnarokkr festival last year and they were fantastic. Maybe there's room at next year's Ragnarokkr for a Decimator reunion. :D
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Hey Tod,

Awesome to have the story of Decimator in writing! I've heard loose versions of it from my uncles (the Koleszar brothers) but there are typically gaps in their memory so it's great to see the timeline written down. Van Halen syndrome sounds about right - I feel like the band wouldn't be the same without Todd (who was a key songwriter, as I understand it) so it's almost comforting to me that the band split up instead of trying to replace him.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the years (decades, really) of entertainment I've gotten from that demo. It's a really solid thrash release and your vocals are a crucial ingredient.

\m/ Ross