The Reissue-anthology Dilemma

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
nightsblood

The Reissue-anthology Dilemma

Post by nightsblood »

Q: For folks who collect original releases, do you also buy of those titles and anthologies of the bands?

All the recent & upcoming reissues/anthologies coming out puts me in something of a quandry. Some of these look quite nice, but do I REALLY need to buy them? I have original copies of many of the items being reissued, so is it worthwhile to spend more money buying a new copy of an album that I already have a decent, original copy of? Yes, many of the reissues/anthologies have bonus demo tracks or what-not with them, but in many cases those tracks aren't as good and/or the sound quality is relatively poor. And while prices in the mid-$20s are not unreasonable for a nicely-done vinyl reissue, the price adds up quickly; just 3 items at $26 each is $78 plus shipping. Are liner notes, some old pictures, and some demo tracks worth the expense?

I know, I know, it's gonna vary form release to release. But with all the reissues & anthologies pouring out these days, it's hard to pick and choose how best to spend one's limited funds.

I think there's a thread for Wort Reissues; is there one for Best Reissues too?

Too much music, too little money :(
Feel free to ignore my bellyaching :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

well we discussed this a bit in an email but my 2 cents worth on some recent arrivals:

Sparta "Use Your Weapons Well" 2lp + 7". Essential purchase, not a weak moment on the entire release, including the 1990 recordings. the $20 was almost free for this good of a release.

Stormchild Maiden Voyage lp $17. More melodic than my usual taste, but now I have the music from this band which I never heard anything from before, since the 7" is crazy $$ this will do just fine.

Truffle "If you really Want" LP loved it $17

Truffle "Bacon Slicer Strikes again" $17 didn't like it as much as "If you really Want" LP

Badger Bell Band "Faceless Gang" $17 lp, liked it, not 100% essential but for $ was good to have this rare material, sounds perfect too.

Demolition Wrecking Crew" lp + 7" $25 just great and happy to not have the cd.

Axis "Flame Burns on" lp $18 and this album is essential, just classic sound start to finish

Urchin love all the different releases from these guys, most recent release was only $25

Cold Mourning "Colder than Thou" 2lp. Essential doom, but I'm biased here. cheap 2lp set too, around $20

Tankard "Alcoholic Metal 2lp $23 GREAT! but their 1st album is a favorite and I always liked these demos, great package too.

Trouble "Live '83" $23 2lp great to have a permanent version of this live classic of doom instead of a tape dub I've had the last 20 years.

Destoya 12" $13 another nice record, only complaint is I wanted more than 4 songs

Deep Machine 12" $13 another nice record, same complaint is I wanted more than 4 songs

Evil Blood "Midnight in Sodom" great old thrash in a permanent form finally.

Nemesis 'Day of Retribution" 2lp. $24 The bonus vinyl makes this worth every penny. Another band I'm biased about, essential metal.

Scarab "Rolling like thunder 2lp + 7" Essential purchase. Variable sound but who cares, this is metal at its finest. $24.

a lot of other great anthologies have come out in the last few years too that I didn't dig up..
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I don't have a problem with re-issues as long as they offer something new on a format that it wasn't originally or previously available on. I like to support new labels but only if they are releasing material that I don't have an opportunity to get on another release previously. I never understood those that will consistently purchase the same set of tracks over and over again. Re-issues are great but not when it’s for the exact same album every 2 years.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

on the contrary for me, all these anthology/reissues have brought a light of hope to me when it comes in finding rare material (specially NWoBHM essentials released from HRR) when i could imagine i could get a Black Hole copy or the Damascus Ep with extra material and at a decent price? Since my priority when collecting records is the music i dont really like paying too much for an original expensive copy if i have the chance to get from a legit and official source the same music(of course i undrestand you guys that collect everything original and i respect that, i wish my wallet could afford that)
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Good list there doomedplanet. The WOLF/KRUIZER split-LP was great as well. If you knwo the two songs from the WOLF single you know how good they were.

Check out TRAPPAZAT and RANDY. For me both fantastic releases, though the first one rellay came out of nowhere. That was Paul Brittons follow-up band where he played in late 80s/early 90s. RANDY also had some killer tunes from the demos, maybe two or three average track, but overall really, really good.

Totally agree on EVIL BLOOD, TRUFFLE, NEMESIS and SPARTA. Also enjoyed the ASSAILANT (US-NY) “First Offence” demo, although the packaging from Steel Legacy is not on par with the others mentioned here. DEMOLATION (UK) was never a favorite of mine. Solid heavy sound, but the songwriting doesen’t really excite me.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

RANDY is a good example of why I DON'T like some reissues. I own the single, and I've had the demo tracks on CD-R for years. I bought the reissue hoping it would include some cool extra tracks, some interesting liner notes, etc. Instead you get a simple booklet with a bad reproduction of the artwork and 1-2 extra live tracks. Since I already had 99% of the music and there was no extra info offered up, was it really worth purchasing? For someone who doesn't have the material it's a nice reissue, but I can't help but feel like I wasted $18.

The new DAMASCUS reissue is in the same boat; with 2 copies of the orig on my shelf and having gotten the demo on CDR in a trade 10 years ago, I don't think the reissue is gonna be a worthwhile purchase for me. I love the record, but with a limited budget and so many releases to choose among, I can't seem to pry my wallet open for it.

Apologies if it sounds like I'm whining; bellyaching like, "woe is poor nightsblood, I can't afford all these reissues, boo-hoo" is not my intention. I'm just interested in how/why people decide to buy or not buy reissues/anthologies.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

nightsblood wrote:
Apologies if it sounds like I'm whining; bellyaching like, "woe is poor nightsblood, I can't afford all these reissues, boo-hoo" is not my intention. I'm just interested in how/why people decide to buy or not buy reissues/anthologies.
seems here that we are on the exact opposite of the mirror then Alan

now im really looking forward on that Warlord and Medieval Steel anthologies released recently
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

It depends on the price and the bonus features of the reissue. Sometimes I buy them, but most of the times I don't. Not enough money to spend on things I already own these days, unfortunately.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

nightsblood wrote:RANDY is a good example of why I DON'T like some reissues. I own the single, and I've had the demo tracks on CD-R for years. I bought the reissue hoping it would include some cool extra tracks, some interesting liner notes, etc. Instead you get a simple booklet with a bad reproduction of the artwork and 1-2 extra live tracks. Since I already had 99% of the music and there was no extra info offered up, was it really worth purchasing? For someone who doesn't have the material it's a nice reissue, but I can't help but feel like I wasted $18.
Yeah I hear ya! I was quite disappointed when I got RANDY and it turned to be a budget release with no booklet or anything... I can certainly understand why people keep question its authenticity in the other thread.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

stormspell wrote:
nightsblood wrote:RANDY is a good example of why I DON'T like some reissues. I own the single, and I've had the demo tracks on CD-R for years. I bought the reissue hoping it would include some cool extra tracks, some interesting liner notes, etc. Instead you get a simple booklet with a bad reproduction of the artwork and 1-2 extra live tracks. Since I already had 99% of the music and there was no extra info offered up, was it really worth purchasing? For someone who doesn't have the material it's a nice reissue, but I can't help but feel like I wasted $18.
Yeah I hear ya! I was quite disappointed when I got RANDY and it turned to be a budget release with no booklet or anything... I can certainly understand why people keep question its authenticity in the other thread.
Sure, okay. Haven't seen the CD release, i was refering to the LP version, which was okay. A new cover, good sound quality, nothing fancy, but overall not bad.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

ION BRITTON wrote:It depends on the price and the bonus features of the reissue. Sometimes I buy them, but most of the times I don't. Not enough money to spend on things I already own these days, unfortunately.
Agreed that price plays a big part. I almost always wait for a re-issue CD to come down around the $10-$12 mark before buying a copy.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

As a rule, I avoid reissues unless originals are so scarce that I can't track them down. Any reissues that I have in my collection are analog pressings, I try to avoid the digital recordings unless it's for newer stuff that is not available in analog format
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Northwinds wrote:As a rule, I avoid reissues unless originals are so scarce that I can't track them down. Any reissues that I have in my collection are analog pressings, I try to avoid the digital recordings unless it's for newer stuff that is not available in analog format
How big of an analog "audiophile" are you? The reason I ask is because many vinyl re-issues these days are taken from CD masters. Which pretty much defeats the purpose concerning the sound.
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

Avenger wrote:
Northwinds wrote:As a rule, I avoid reissues unless originals are so scarce that I can't track them down. Any reissues that I have in my collection are analog pressings, I try to avoid the digital recordings unless it's for newer stuff that is not available in analog format
How big of an analog "audiophile" are you? The reason I ask is because many vinyl re-issues these days are taken from CD masters. Which pretty much defeats the purpose concerning the sound.
Unless they are direct from the original analog master tape or repressed off the original plates, I'd rather buy the CD's. I have a huge analog vinyl collection so really the only digital pressings I have are new bands that I like, mainly Stoner stuff
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

doomedplanet wrote:
Nemesis 'Day of Retribution" 2lp. $24 The bonus vinyl makes this worth every penny. Another band I'm biased about, essential metal.

Scarab "Rolling like thunder 2lp + 7" Essential purchase. Variable sound but who cares, this is metal at its finest. $24.
The NEMESIS is indeed essential. I think it is as great as that incredible Jonah Quiz demo or the Crystal Pride 7"

Is the SCARAB anthology really good? I only know those 2 7" tracks which are incredible, but I don't want to buy a reissue where the other tracks suck.
Long Live The Loud !!!