Ebay buyer trying to screw me over! help.

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Ensiferum2k7

Ebay buyer trying to screw me over! help.

Post by Ensiferum2k7 »

guy claims my cd skips
I know he's full of shit.
is there anything i can do to protect myself?
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Argh that's bad :|

But eventually even if not true all he can get is a partial refund or he has to send the cd back (by registered shipping) to get full refund - that if he goes through paypal dispute.

Sadly you can't do much as a seller, paypal goes always for buyers ^^
Did you send the cd registered ? Maybe that's why he didn't open as "missing package" then ? Is he from USA or ?
Ensiferum2k7

Post by Ensiferum2k7 »

from usa
sent regular shipping
he probably got it days ago and is finally now messaging me!
i swear the cd was in great shape when i sent. grr...
I haven't messaged him back yet, was in the process of cussing him out, but i cancelled the email, haha.
thinking of just ignoring him and praying hes too lazy to go thru dispute
any good ideas will be welcome.

thanks for the response, helstar. btw, there should be a new message in your inbox :>
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Oh damn, he could open directly a dispute for "missing package" then, I hope he doesn't or he gets cd AND money back ^^ and that's a sure thing ! :?

Always send registered when you have the possibility ... (USA->USA is cheap right ? Just few bucks more than normal regular shipping I guess)
Ensiferum2k7

Post by Ensiferum2k7 »

no, no.
registered is expensive! i'm pretty sure its 11 dollars for every package!
he mailed me saying he got the cd tho, so i have proof he received it at least.
how much could he get back with a partial dispute? anyone know?
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

It's a question of agreement of the two parts. When he opens the dispute he can choose for full or partial refund, first case he has to send the cd back (registered), second case he has to choose how much he wants (example, 15$ out of 30$). Then you can accept to refund the amount he asks, or send a lower counteroffer (example 10$). And so on... if there's no agreement, then only full refund is possible and he has to send the cd back.

Ps. Emails mean nothing to paypal. He has the upper hand if he says "not received" anyway ^^
Ensiferum2k7

Post by Ensiferum2k7 »

ic
thanks for answering!
slayerhatesusall2

Post by slayerhatesusall2 »

No way to protect yourself if it wasn't registered. Just let him send the cd back for a full refund, if you tell him that, maybe he won't open dispute. If the guy said it skipped, he probably isn't a scammer, if he was a scammer, he would say that the cd did not arrive so he wouldn't lose money on return shipping, since you didn't ship it registered. Or you can offer him a partial refund and let him keep the cd without going through a dispute. Like a month ago I sold a cd I thought worked perfectly, but the buyer said it skipped so i let him return it for a full refund. I got the correct cd back and that was that. Upon rexamining it I am not that surprised it skipped on his cd player, there was some scratches on top which didn't affect play on my cd player, but he said it didn't work on his dvd player, maybe those are more sensitive. Some cds might work on certain players/ rip to certain computers but not on others so its very likely he is telling the truth. And don't curse him out, if you do that he will just get angry and maybe lie about cd not arriving to paypal and leave negative.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Within the US, a simple delivery confirmation number is enough to protect you from "item not received" frauds.

But I've never had any luck with people over condition disputes, the two times it has happened to me I just refunded them (granted, these were small purchases, both CDs under $30). If it was a really expensive CD, fight it. If not, take the hit. Fuck it. It's just not worth the hassle.
Heathen

Re: Ebay buyer trying to screw me over! help.

Post by Heathen »

Ensiferum2k7 wrote:guy claims my cd skips
I have a Sacrament - TOA CD which looks perfect but skips on my player, which is fine, just sensitive. So just maybe he is telling the truth...?
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

Helstar wrote:Argh that's bad :|

But eventually even if not true all he can get is a partial refund or he has to send the cd back (by registered shipping) to get full refund - that if he goes through paypal dispute.

Sadly you can't do much as a seller, paypal goes always for buyers ^^
Did you send the cd registered ? Maybe that's why he didn't open as "missing package" then ? Is he from USA or ?
are you sure registered shipping protects against "not delivered claims" ? Wouldnt be so sure. Delivery of registered packages is not always trackable online (depending on the destination country), which is a MUST in these disputes.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Perhaps the guy is actually telling the truth. Ask the dude to try the CD out on a few different players and let you know the results. He could just be playing it in an old shitty worn out or just plain dirty CD player. If he claims that the CD still skips then tell him to ship it back and once it arrives you will refund him. It's not really a big deal especially because he has clearly stated in an email that he received the CD. This being the case, he has no grounds to win any dispute he opens with paypal regading the disc having arrived.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

Heathen wrote:
Ensiferum2k7 wrote:guy claims my cd skips
I have a Sacrament - TOA CD which looks perfect but skips on my player, which is fine, just sensitive. So just maybe he is telling the truth...?
I remember I had once (when I still bought CD's in the early 90's) CD's of Iron Christ and Meliah Rage that were absolutely new (I've unsealed them) and my first CD player just did not accept them.
However, in that ebay case you might add to your auction:

"Items comes in the condition like written in the auction. No refund accepted. Shipping on buyer's risk. I'm not responsible for stolen or damaged goods thru the mail. If you don't agree to these terms then don't bid!"

It's absolutely necessary nowadays since there are too many assholes around at ebay nowadays who want money back just for a little scratch on the jewel case of a 25 years old CD! :wink:
Live your life by your will, learn to be an animal ...
wom

Post by wom »

Its possible for cd disc to skip without any visible flaws.

Either because of a sensitive player or because its gone bad, you can check it if you do a secure audio extraction with a software like EAC. Sometimes i do that and keep the log in case the buyer wants to see it. A log without errors i mean.

But in the end if the buyer wants to return it, have them send it registered and issue a refund. Who pays for postage is an issue of course, but depends on the final prices.

PS i wouldnt accept a partial refund tho for that reason, buyer is either happy (and should keep it) or unhappy (and should return it)
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

LethylSteel wrote:"Items comes in the condition like written in the auction. No refund accepted. Shipping on buyer's risk. I'm not responsible for stolen or damaged goods thru the mail. If you don't agree to these terms then don't bid!"

It's absolutely necessary nowadays since there are too many assholes around at ebay nowadays who want money back just for a little scratch on the jewel case of a 25 years old CD! :wink:
That doesn't matter.

A dispute can stilll be opened.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."