Downloading issues (again)

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
quietus

Downloading issues (again)

Post by quietus »

daniel wrote:I downloaded this to listen. If I would have bought this I'd be very disappointed (though I understand some people think the most important thing is that money is spent regardless of it being worth it or not). .
Yeah I guess those "people" are the musicians who didnt steal their instruments or stiff their teachers on hundreds of hours of lessons. Perhaps the records companies who didnt stiff the recording studios or pressing plants to put out the product. Maybe the patrons who actually pay to get in the gigs instead of weasling in for free, or the club owners who have to pay their landlords so the bands can play. An old fashion premise I suppose.

By the way the Hell record is fantastic, unbeleivable and worth every cent to those who paid.
daniel

Post by daniel »

What are you on about? As if I'd 'steal' things all the time. I decided to be honest about how I listened to it instead of trying to portray some noble knight of the underground. The point is that why shouldn't people buy things because they enjoy it if they have the opportunity to find out first. One could go into a record shop and ask them to play the CD right there, how is downloading something to listen to at home and make up your mind any different from that? It's not, no matter how you try twist it, this isn't the "all music should be free man" stance. The other part of my comment was about that equating any listening to music without paying for it with stealing essentially means that labels/bands wouldn't give a shit whether people like it or not as long as they are handing over their money.

These facts and comments don't make my opinion of the music any less valid. I already got the impression before that some people would think this is a record that cannot be critisized. I'd like to hear someone complain about the production of pretty much any modern band after they say this rocks. No you di'n't girl.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
quietus

Post by quietus »

Wait, you are looking for credit because you were honest about stealing something? Simply amazing....

When you go to a restaraunt do you eat half a sandwich before you decide whether you will pay or not...pathetic...

I dont care what you think about the record too much, production is fine anyway and complaining about it is gay.

Don't know if you work or not but I have the feelihng if someone came to your business, used it for a few hours then told you I didn't like it and I aint paying you wouldn't like it so much.

Sorry you didnt' enjoy your test drive sir.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Why are you trying to be clever. What I've found over the years of following others argue over this issue is that there's really no reasoning with people who have a totally black and white view of right and wrong.

I never said anything about receiving credit for being honest in this case, I said I had no interest in pretending, you're grasping at straws trying to turn that against me, because you'll try make everything I say look stupid now you think I'm a boo hoo thief.

Your examples are irrelevant. You can't compare a physical one-off product with something that can be reproduced to infinity (in the case of MP3s, as these are also sold). Take a sandwich, effort goes into producing another, there is no effort in copying an MP3, as in this example is not about going and stealing a physical CD copy, so quit the bullshit.

The only reason you think complaining about production is "gay" is because you think HELL as a band are beyond reproach and you'd probably find some way of justifying their decision if they'd have stuck with letting Dani Filth do the vocals. Should I say you're being "gay" every time you make a begative comment about a record from now on? Why not?

The work example, again, you're purposedly distorting reality in order to make a ridiculous argument.

I don't expect you to give any sort of thoughtful reply, since you refrained from commenting on the playing a CD in the store/listening at home example. Or are you saying only the label/band should decide what people hear before they buy it? It must be wrong for friends to play people records too. It must be wrong to make mixtapes, post YouTube clips etc. Again I doubt you'll address that in any sort of serious fashion. How about the times one wasn't sure about a record, listened to it beforehand and decided it was great and then bought it? All a-ok then?
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Not this shit again. If daniel stole their music, how come they still own it and can sell it to anybody who wants to pay for it, even daniel himself? If you steal something it means you took it away from another person, and I don't think daniel took any records or songs from Hell. If somebody steals your guitar, you don't have a guitar anymore and can't play. Daniel downloaded an album and the band still has the same amount of copies for sell as they had before he downloaded it, so that comparission is not valid.
And if the music sucks, it'll suck regardless of you paying for it or not. Money spent on a record doesn't change the quality of the music itself one way or the other. I could even say you're biased to say it's good if you spent X amount of money to buy it.
quietus

Post by quietus »

Cochino wrote:Not this shit again. If daniel stole their music, how come they still own it and can sell it to anybody who wants to pay for it, even daniel himself? If you steal something it means you took it away from another person, and I don't think daniel took any records or songs from Hell. If somebody steals your guitar, you don't have a guitar anymore and can't play. Daniel downloaded an album and the band still has the same amount of copies for sell as they had before he downloaded it, so that comparission is not valid.
And if the music sucks, it'll suck regardless of you paying for it or not. Money spent on a record doesn't change the quality of the music itself one way or the other. I could even say you're biased to say it's good if you spent X amount of money to buy it.
:lol: :lol:
Hell had the cd for sale for let's say $15.00.....Daniel took a copy but the band still has no money...by your own statement they still have the same amount of copies...sure they can make more but if nobody buys them and simply downloads them...we'll you can see why this is detrimental to the future of bands/labels/underground. But hey if you can save yourself a few bucks fuck the people who actually create/put their own money up/take a chance....

Regarding the people in the record store argument, they actually bought the record to sell to you which you wont support because you might need to pay for it before actually experiencing the whole thing for free. This will eventually kill all the record stores as is being proven on a daily basis.

Regarding listening to something at someone's house, mix tapes, record store etc....The difference is they have actually paid for it and are letting you listen to it because they own it.

I can compare the sale of a cd to a sandwich very easily. Both are the end product of work, effort and a commitment of capitaland,time from the owner of that business. Only difference is because of the anonymous nature of the internet you wont get your ass handed to you if you "take" a recording.

Anyway if the board sees nothing wrong with downloading something illegally and for free while the product is still available and for sale then I guess I truly am out of touch with the "underground". r.i.p.
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

Stealing = taking possession of something by means not agreed upon by the producer of said good. Illegally downloading mp3s falls under this category. It's not as simple as "herp derp I didn't physically taek anytihng".
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Dodens Grav wrote:Stealing = taking possession of something by means not agreed upon by the producer of said good.
That can be done legally, would that be stealing then? Is this a moral thing? If we're going down moral road then why not let people listen to stuff before deciding to buy or not so they don't have to waste their money in something they don't like? How is that wrong? You can't compare cultural possessions with material ones. What if a friend of daniel's burned a CD for him to check it out? Would that friend be a criminal or something?
Besides all that, if there' are bands who benefit from mp3s that's gotta be bands like Hell. I doubt this album would've been released or sold half the copies it has sold if it wasn't for the demo mp3s that got spread around in the last 10 years or so.
But go ahead and buy that "downloading is stealing" bullshit that the mainstream media tries to feed you. If they're behind all that you should suspect there's something wrong about it. What made the underground strong back in the 80s weren't the big labels, it was tape trading which eventually led to smaller labels to release those demo bands. Nowadays it's done through the internet instead of mail but it's got the same results. There weren't that many niche labels like Stormspell, Shadow Kingdom, Nuclear War Now! and the like.
And regardless of all that, and even if downloading mp3s was stealing, daniel still has all the right in the world to say whatever he feels about the music and he's not less qualified than any of you because he didn't buy the album. We're talking about music here, not collections.
Also, about "But hey if you can save yourself a few bucks fuck the people who actually create/put their own money up/take a chance.... ". What about bands making money from mediocre or shitty records fucking people who works hard to earn their money to find they spent it in a worthless piece of crap? Isn't that being a ripoff? Isn't that fucking people?
And saying that "if everybody downloads and doesn't buy" is also crap because that doesn't happen. Everybody on this site has a collection. Everybody spends lots money on music so why starting shit when they decided to check something out before spending some on it? There's too many offer and some of us don't have enough money to buy everything we think we might like.
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

I didn't read the rest of what you said, but obviously legal downloading and illegal downloading are completely and entirely different things. One is an agreed upon mutual exchange and the other isn't.
quietus

Post by quietus »

Cochino wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:Stealing = taking possession of something by means not agreed upon by the producer of said good.
That can be done legally, would that be stealing then? Is this a moral thing? If we're going down moral road then why not let people listen to stuff before deciding to buy or not so they don't have to waste their money in something they don't like? How is that wrong? You can't compare cultural possessions with material ones. What if a friend of daniel's burned a CD for him to check it out? Would that friend be a criminal or something?
Besides all that, if there' are bands who benefit from mp3s that's gotta be bands like Hell. I doubt this album would've been released or sold half the copies it has sold if it wasn't for the demo mp3s that got spread around in the last 10 years or so.
But go ahead and buy that "downloading is stealing" bullshit that the mainstream media tries to feed you. If they're behind all that you should suspect there's something wrong about it. What made the underground strong back in the 80s weren't the big labels, it was tape trading which eventually led to smaller labels to release those demo bands. Nowadays it's done through the internet instead of mail but it's got the same results. There weren't that many niche labels like Stormspell, Shadow Kingdom, Nuclear War Now! and the like.
And regardless of all that, and even if downloading mp3s was stealing, daniel still has all the right in the world to say whatever he feels about the music and he's not less qualified than any of you because he didn't buy the album. We're talking about music here, not collections.
Also, about "But hey if you can save yourself a few bucks fuck the people who actually create/put their own money up/take a chance.... ". What about bands making money from mediocre or shitty records fucking people who works hard to earn their money to find they spent it in a worthless piece of crap? Isn't that being a ripoff? Isn't that fucking people?
And saying that "if everybody downloads and doesn't buy" is also crap because that doesn't happen. Everybody on this site has a collection. Everybody spends lots money on music so why starting shit when they decided to check something out before spending some on it? There's too many offer and some of us don't have enough money to buy everything we think we might like.
Yes it's a moral thing....which I guess is out of date. Somebody produces something, puts their money,time and sweat into it to make product. They then put a price on that product that you pay if you want it. Doesnt matter what it is, if you take the product with out paying, you have stolen it. Simple as that.
Again, dont care about what Daniel has to say about Hell.
Pay for what you take....else your a freeloader....doesnt matter if its one person or everybody.....Sign of the new world and new internet metalheads, want everything for free with no effort or risk....
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Daniel just mentioned he downloaded it, you made a deal out of it. And as I said, if it's a moral thing then what's wrong with people checking it out before buying it? If he liked it he would've bought it, he didn't like it so he didn't buy it. I don't see anything wrong there. It's not like daniel is gonna go out and sell bootlegs, which is a total different thing from downloading to listen to music and which I think it's pretty fucked up.
You also talked about all the hard work that takes for a band to put a record out. Then what about the hard work someone has to do to earn the money to buy a record, and then he finds out it's a piece of shit? Is that work less worthy than the band's?
Besides all that, I know many users from this site have lots of mp3s, and I really mean lots of them and even from new and easily available releases. But they also have a lot of CD's, tapes, records, shirts etc., so if it's a moral thing it's totally unnecessary in this site. Things aren't black and white and downloading mp3s doesn't make you a thief nor a person worthless of expressing an opinion on music. And I also wonder if any of those moralists never downloaded anything in their lives. Not music, movies, games or anything like that.

Anyway, that was my last post in this thread and I suggest we knock it off since it's been discussed to death already.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

This is getting (way) off topic, but I'd like to throw in some legal terms here:

Taking someone's guitar, hamburger or whatever without paying for it = Petty Theft.
Downloading a copy of someone's album without paying for it = Copyright Infringement.

If discussing this, please read up on Intellectual Property Law, so everyone's got their facts straight.

Oh, and the Hell album can be heard, for free, on e.g. Spotify, so there's not really any need to download it.
quietus

Post by quietus »

Cochino wrote:Daniel just mentioned he downloaded it, you made a deal out of it. And as I said, if it's a moral thing then what's wrong with people checking it out before buying it? If he liked it he would've bought it, he didn't like it so he didn't buy it. I don't see anything wrong there. It's not like daniel is gonna go out and sell bootlegs, which is a total different thing from downloading to listen to music and which I think it's pretty fucked up.
You also talked about all the hard work that takes for a band to put a record out. Then what about the hard work someone has to do to earn the money to buy a record, and then he finds out it's a piece of shit? Is that work less worthy than the band's?
Besides all that, I know many users from this site have lots of mp3s, and I really mean lots of them and even from new and easily available releases. But they also have a lot of CD's, tapes, records, shirts etc., so if it's a moral thing it's totally unnecessary in this site. Things aren't black and white and downloading mp3s doesn't make you a thief nor a person worthless of expressing an opinion on music. And I also wonder if any of those moralists never downloaded anything in their lives. Not music, movies, games or anything like that.

Anyway, that was my last post in this thread and I suggest we knock it off since it's been discussed to death already.
Yes I did make a deal of it. As Knhud says it is copyright infringement, theft of intellectual property so to speak.

So when you say if it a moral thing then it is unecessary to this site, then my argument is certainly lost. It is a moral thing personally to me, but a legal issue to band. I respect their rights thats all.

Finally I am near 45 years old and I have never downloaded a movie or "games" although I know it is common and to me equally wrong, but I understand such judgements are unnecessary to this site.
daniel

Post by daniel »

If Dödens Grav won't read another person's complete posts, why give a shit what he says. He's always on some hero of the band's trip anyway if he deems them worthy.

"Oh, and the Hell album can be heard, for free, on e.g. Spotify, so there's not really any need to download it."
So I should sign up to that crap site just to listen to it for free and do it legally instead of downloading it. Right. I guess you're serious, but GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK.

The people calling for absolute legality, although this is an 'isolated' example I'd say always adhering to the law is simply stupid. How many fucked up laws are there, how many examples of citizens being deprived based on governing bodies deciding to fuck them over. Are you as eager to defend the law in every case? If not, why not, it's all 'the law'.

"Again, dont care about what Daniel has to say about Hell.
Pay for what you take....else your a freeloader....doesnt matter if its one person or everybody.....Sign of the new world and new internet metalheads, want everything for free with no effort or risk...."
Yeah, that's what I was doing when I've bought vinyl copies of some of your label's releases. Talk about a black and white view on things :roll: You argued that the difference between downloading and listening in a shop or at a friend's place is the monetary factor. So, following that, who's to say a friend in another country who bought a copy didn't just upload MP3s of the CD to Megaupload for me... But that wouldn't be right either somehow though it completely contradicts what you put forward?
As for "risk", you're being very dramatic here, and condescending, as if I've spent my life '"stealing", blah blah fucking blah, and I'm 30, not the "new generation of internet metalheads". EVIL INTERNET. Where would your label be without the net anyway really.

"Thievery", yes, we should all get holier than thou on all matters under the sun, damn thieving corporations charging too much profit on all products and services.

Only praise can be taken seriously. Same old story. Bring on the ridicule and ignoring at convenience.
Last edited by daniel on Fri May 27, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

daniel wrote:If Dödens Grav won't read another person's complete posts, why give a shit what he says. He's always on some hero of the band's trip anyway if he deems them worthy.
Your inept English makes it difficult to even understand what you're trying to say. Regardless, to assume that my comments had anything to do with the fact that the album you downloaded was an album that I liked is a pretty stupid thing to do. However, since you were so entirely offended by the fact that I only read and responded to the single piece of a post that was even relevant to what I had previously written, I will do you the personal courtesy to respond to Cochino's entire post in the hopes that we can mend our relationship once more.
Cochino wrote:Is this a moral thing? If we're going down moral road then why not let people listen to stuff before deciding to buy or not so they don't have to waste their money in something they don't like? How is that wrong?
When is the last time that you stumbled upon a new album that didn't have a sample somewhere online for free? Hell made a fucking music video for Christ's sake. There are samples for just about anything that you could want to buy available through approved means such that it's impossible to justify illegal downloading with that argument. The argument that that you may not like an album after you buy it means that you should be able to hear the album through any means necessary is also utterly ridiculous. It's not like buying a hammer, which, if faulty, is an objectively bad hammer and for which you should be entitled a refund. If you don't like a musical recording, that is not the band's fault, since it's a matter of opinion, and they are in no way wronging you or taking advantage of you if you buy an album that you don't enjoy. Actually, to think that is, to be blunt, really fucking stupid.
Cochino wrote:You can't compare cultural possessions with material ones. What if a friend of daniel's burned a CD for him to check it out? Would that friend be a criminal or something?
What do you mean by "cultural possessions"? Art, music? Well, considering you can't buy "music" and you can't listen to "music", as in the ethereal concept of a particular song, you have to do the next best thing and buy a commercial product of a particular rendition of that "music". So no, you can't compare cultural possessions (by which I take you to mean art) with material goods, but what we deal in IS goods. Music is inherently a product in itself, either way. And no, I don't believe burning a CD for somebody else's use is an approved avenue of exchange. Purchasing a CD does not give one the authority to reproduce and distribute it to other people in any way. I don't care if this is how tape trading worked "back in the day", and that this is what the underground was built on and everything else in this regard that you can possibly feed me, because it's still technically wrong, even if bands approve of distributing their music this way (assuming that it was a commercially released product and not something self-released like a rehearsal tape that a band encourages people to share; when an album is released by a third party, they too have certain rights over the product element of the music, you know).
Cochino wrote:Besides all that, if there' are bands who benefit from mp3s that's gotta be bands like Hell. I doubt this album would've been released or sold half the copies it has sold if it wasn't for the demo mp3s that got spread around in the last 10 years or so.
While this may be true, it's also equally irrelevant. Besides, what was pirated was material (largely) that was never even officially released and unavailable for purchase either way. To make the argument that because a band from the 80s is relevant today only because of the persistence of tape trading and mp3 sharing, that entitles one to continue to pirate new music that they record, is absolutely beyond any form of reason.
Cochino wrote:But go ahead and buy that "downloading is stealing" bullshit that the mainstream media tries to feed you. If they're behind all that you should suspect there's something wrong about it.
This is completely childish, moronic, and silly. Do you still refer to police as "the man"? The mainstream media also feeds us things like murder is bad. Should I suspect that something is wrong about the notion that I shouldn't murder random people out of the joy that it brings me? Or is it possible that whether or not the mainstream media supports a proposition is overwhelmingly irrelevant to whether or not that proposition holds any merit when measured under scrutiny? I swear, downloaders are the absolute fiercest defenders of their behavior in the world, short of theists.
Cochino wrote:What made the underground strong back in the 80s weren't the big labels, it was tape trading which eventually led to smaller labels to release those demo bands. Nowadays it's done through the internet instead of mail but it's got the same results. There weren't that many niche labels like Stormspell, Shadow Kingdom, Nuclear War Now! and the like.
I already said this earlier, but whether or not the underground operated through certain means has no bearing on whether or not it should have. Besides, most of what was tape traded was demos and rehearsals, things that were never officially released by a third party, leaving the entirety of the rights up to the bands, and a lot of bands had no problem with dubs (although not all of them; Witchfinder General comes to mind). But tape trading was done largely to sample music that you had no other way of hearing. NOW you do. It's absolutely more difficult to try to find a release that you can't sample for free without obtaining it through some unapproved mean than it is to find a sample of a release that you want to buy.
Cochino wrote:And regardless of all that, and even if downloading mp3s was stealing, daniel still has all the right in the world to say whatever he feels about the music and he's not less qualified than any of you because he didn't buy the album. We're talking about music here, not collections.
You are aware that nobody ever discounted what daniel said about the music on the grounds that he illegally downloaded it, right? Not a single comment was made to the sentiment that "daniel illegally downloaded the new Hell album, therefore what he thinks of the music itself is irrelevant", so you had no reason to even say this at all. This has been entirely a discussion about downloading, not about the particular album that was downloaded in this instance. Although, amusingly, daniel did attempt to say that what I did say earlier was something nobody should "give a shit" about because I didn't read an entire post, so if you're interested in finding ridiculous claims about the legitimacy of an argument, you can use that as an example instead of fabricating the one that you wrote about in your head.
Cochino wrote:Also, about "But hey if you can save yourself a few bucks fuck the people who actually create/put their own money up/take a chance.... ". What about bands making money from mediocre or shitty records fucking people who works hard to earn their money to find they spent it in a worthless piece of crap? Isn't that being a ripoff? Isn't that fucking people?
What makes a record mediocre or shitty is what you think about the record, and bands don't have control over that. I already said this earlier as well, but it's absolutely asinine to make the argument that because you didn't like an album and you spent money to hear it, you have somehow been cheated out of your money. You were not forced to buy it, for starters. Your money was not stolen. You simply made a purchase that turned out not to be a good one for you in particular. That doesn't mean the album itself is bad and that thousands of other people didn't happily purchase and enjoy the shit out of it. People have different tastes, so it's inevitable that just about every recording will be called mediocre or shitty by somebody after they purchased it. But if an album is really that shitty, you should be able to tell that based on whatever samples the band or label offers of that album. If you bought an album that had free samples online by which you would be able to tell whether or not you would like it but which you elected not to sample and you didn't like the album, then that is your own fault, plain and simple.

To reiterate, this particular argument of yours is completely ridiculous and makes no sense. An album that you don't like may be "worthless" to you, but even if you're a solipsist, you're still not the only person in the world, and that album is most likely worthy for exponentially more people than you. To suggest that you were fucked or ripped off because you bought an album and didn't like it is so childish and naive that I found it difficult to even respond seriously to such a claim.
Cochino wrote:And saying that "if everybody downloads and doesn't buy" is also crap because that doesn't happen. Everybody on this site has a collection. Everybody spends lots money on music so why starting shit when they decided to check something out before spending some on it? There's too many offer and some of us don't have enough money to buy everything we think we might like.
Another absurd and illogical argument. To suggest that it's okay for some people to do something wrong because enough people do something right does not make the wrong action any less wrong or any more desirable for society. Is it okay for a few people to murder every once in a while because the overwhelming majority doesn't? Should I not maintain the position that "nobody should murder others because if everybody murdered, then nobody would exist"? Anyway, the argument behind the idea you contest is related to the bystander effect. At the scene of an accident, when a crowd gathers, sometimes everybody will just assume that another bystander has already acted to bring assistance to the scene, so they don't act. If everybody at the scene thinks this same thing, then assistance will never arrive and the victims will surely die. Likewise, to use the line of thinking that somebody will buy this album, so it's okay if I download it also makes the assumption that results in the inactivity of the person in question. That in itself is not the problem, per se. The problem is if everybody, or the majority, begins to think the same way. There is an eventual tipping point between buying and downloading. If a label releases a CD that is interesting to 1000 people and prints 1000 copies of it, but 950 of those people say to themselves that everybody else will give the band/label money for their labors, so it's just a drop in the bucket if I download it for free, then the CD only sells 50 copies, and then the label decides to stop pressing CDs.

I hope this satisfies you, daniel. Now you may "give a shit" about my earlier post. Would you like me to respond to yours as well?