Downloading issues (again)

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I honestly do not see a problem with downloading an out-of-print album and I actually fail to comprehend why, if someone has a limited budget and WANTS TO support a label (any label) by buying a product, shouldn't check the products first and then make an educated decision as to what they want to spend the money on!! But the suggestion of bands putting ENTIRE tracks on-line for people to listen to is great. I went to the Pagan Altar website years ago, heard two entire sample tracks and immediately bought everything I could by this band. Many years ago, I used to tape songs off a Metal radio show, I didn't buy ALL the albums that ALL those songs came from because I couldn't - not enough money. BUT I had the music to listen to and to choose which albums I wanted and which were not mandatory for me. Now I have internet and it is EASY and QUICK for me to decide if I want an album or not. I am not spreading the MP3s, I am using them to make a value judgement as to whether I want the albums or not. When I get back to work and earn nice money I will be able to make blind purchases again. Until then I want to support the underground but also want to know what I am getting because I am not wealthy. Usually it just takes listening to two songs to sway me but some albums really only have one or two good songs on them.

But I completely understand that the bloggers are facilitating music theft. And I am participating. "Home taping is killing music"

edit: it is exactly the same as borrowing an LP from a friend, taping the record and waiting to save the funds to buy the album. Who here can honestly say they have never done that?
GJ

Post by GJ »

Don't buy the album.
Listen to it here instead: http://stereokiller.com/QuicksandDream
Then tell your friends to buy it!
Pestkrieg

Post by Pestkrieg »

I don't think it's really adding anything that hasn't been said to the debate, but I get together with my mates regularly, and we all bring round new records, spin them, and then end up finding loads of exciting new things to buy. I don't buy the ones they play me that don't appeal to me. If you apply the same logic as the anti-download argument, then I've done something wrong in that situation, or 'stolen' those records that fall into the latter camp, which is clearly ludicrous.

No-one denies that the leeches who only download music without ever buying it are scumbags, but there's a line between them and those who download new releases and are then selective about what they buy based on what they like. It's like walking round a food market, trying samples from the stores, and only buying things that taste good.
Piotr Sargnagel

That's a great analogy!
daniel

Post by daniel »

A good sign of maturity is being able to accept criticism, I doubt people pleading age as heavy experience and authority will overcome their ego and speak up here (yes I'm being very provocative, also because of the asshole comments I received from Nick).
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
quietus

Post by quietus »

At the end of the day for me, its the fact that the band and label has asked the individual not to post the album for upload on a blog or whatever and additionally not for the fan to download it. It's a matter of respect for them to heed their request which they feel strongly about.

Will it save you some bucks to download it...sure. Will it make your life easier..defintely Will it save you from purchasing some crappy shit...most defintely....

For me I will heed their request, realizing not everybody will do the same. Besides all this talk of not being able to buy a record with out the aid of the internet is gaying me out big time.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

quietus wrote:Besides all this talk of not being able to buy a record with out the aid of the internet is gaying me out big time.
Very kind of you saying this in a forum where people support your label's releases. Thank you very much. As for me, I'll be more careful next time as to where I spend my hard-earned money.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
daniel

Post by daniel »

I guess that goes for making a label work without the internet as well :lol:
quietus

Post by quietus »

Great stuff guys :lol:
daniel

Post by daniel »

I thought SF was very liberal when it came to sexuality anyway.
quietus

Post by quietus »

daniel wrote:A good sign of maturity is being able to accept criticism, I doubt people pleading age as heavy experience and authority will overcome their ego and speak up here (yes I'm being very provocative, also because of the asshole comments I received from Nick).
Everybody seems to be speaking up just fine, most side with the downloading a new release that is still avaialble as ok as we can see from the thread. However,even in this very forum one of the mods took the Robespierre demo download off as were putting it out for sale soon..... As is done at Miskatonic and another unamed place I frequent.

Why would that be done here if the other mods seem to deem it fine.
daniel

Post by daniel »

You haven't responded to any of the other comments regarding the "common sense" (for lack of a better term) concerning the issue.

The policy of this forum is to not hinder the sales of current releases/obstruct current artists etc. (to simplify things in this case), so any download links to new releases are removed, they can easily be obtained elsewhere, but since downloading can also be widely abused, I guess Dan deems it better to avoid that controversy.
daniel

Post by daniel »

When I see your atrocious command of grammar and general conversational skill I more feel like it's an 8-year old posting than a 45-year old.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

quietus wrote:
daniel wrote:A good sign of maturity is being able to accept criticism, I doubt people pleading age as heavy experience and authority will overcome their ego and speak up here (yes I'm being very provocative, also because of the asshole comments I received from Nick).
Everybody seems to be speaking up just fine, most side with the downloading a new release that is still avaialble as ok as we can see from the thread. However,even in this very forum one of the mods took the Robespierre demo download off as were putting it out for sale soon..... As is done at Miskatonic and another unamed place I frequent.

Why would that be done here if the other mods seem to deem it fine.
You can reup the demo yourself if you want the people to hear it. It's your own label and nobody will remove the link if you want it to be available for downloading.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Piotr Sargnagel

quietus wrote:At the end of the day for me, its the fact that the band and label has asked the individual not to post the album for upload on a blog or whatever and additionally not for the fan to download it. It's a matter of respect for them to heed their request which they feel strongly about.

Will it save you some bucks to download it...sure. Will it make your life easier..defintely Will it save you from purchasing some crappy shit...most defintely....

For me I will heed their request, realizing not everybody will do the same. Besides all this talk of not being able to buy a record with out the aid of the internet is gaying me out big time.
Fine. I understand your point and I agree too! But I don't have any friends in this area who listen to Metal (all moved away, grown out of it etc.) so I can't check out releases like I used to by borrowing music. This generally goes for bands whose music I DON'T KNOW - a band whom I know to be good (like Slough Feg for example) I will buy blindly as soon as the new material is out. Sad that you feel gayed out but nearly all of my record purchases (including ones by your label) over the last many many years have been over the internet. SURE, I'd LOVE to go into a record shop and browse - that's the way records used to be sold. SORRY, there are no record shops in my area, there haven't been for years. There just isn't the population here for them. I'm sure things are very different in the U.S. but in the rural parts of Ireland the internet is a great tool for finding music, gay or not. And I'd be delighted to hear what posting about new releases on a forum constitutes for you if not facilitating the buying of records with the "...aid of the internet..."?

I'm not having a go at you and I accept that I'm doing wrong by downloading but I do it so I CAN SUPPORT labels and bands not because I want music for free. If I think something is good, I will buy it if I can, if something is shit, would you still want me to buy shit??

This is not a perfect world.