Downloading issues (again)

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
daniel

Post by daniel »

And this makes any real difference why? If people like the material after hearing the whole thing; they'll buy it. If they don't like it they won't. If they are more interested in simply downloading things they weren't going to buy it no matter what. So how does that make any difference to lables? Only thing is that now people sometimes don't make as many blind purchases, which means labels aren't getting money from gullible people so to speak - what I mean by that is somehow it's ok that people buy things they don't like as long as a lablels makes money, but it's terrible that someone actually listens to the whole deal and decides hey it ain't that great after all. This is how the world progressed, big deal.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
quietus

Post by quietus »

daniel wrote:That totally contradict what you already said:

"I dont have a problem with people using the internet for hearing stuff and buying records...it;s true if it wasnt for the old net helping and making bbtad possible you'd see 2 guys sitting in a room with 498 extra records in boxes..."

To be against people making informed purchases is pretty stupid yes. And like Ion Britton said your smart-ass attitude of thinking people horde and steal without giving anything back is out of line on this forum.
It's tough for me to be any more clear, sorry fellas. Using the net to hear a track the band or label provides or maybe see a video they do to promote the record is fine in my opinion.

When someone takes the whole recording and illegally makes it available for people to download it for free, I am simply against that. If that is smart- ass or whatever, tough shit, I couldnt care less.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

If it is a sample or two or a whole album does that make so much difference to you? If I personally like it, I will go and buy the damn thing. People who have no intention of spending money won't buy anything at all and they will find a way to download/upload the album. You are not losing anything.

Anyway, this is the topic of another thread. And since this one has already gone off its way I'll personally stop it here.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
quietus

Post by quietus »

ION BRITTON wrote:If it is a sample or two or a whole album does that make so much difference to you? If I personally like it, I will go and buy the damn thing. People who have no intention of spending money won't buy anything at all and they will find a way to download/upload the album. You are not losing anything.

Anyway, this is the topic of another thread. And since this one has already gone off its way I'll personally stop it here.
Because the sample or two will be provided by the band or label legally. I do not doubt that most here download stuff and if they like it they will buy it, but I also dont doubt that some jst download.

As far as not losing anything.....I will direct you to the thousands of brick and mortar record stores that have closed and the plunging sales of the music industry. There are a few different reasons for this happening but certainly a major one is because you can just dl a record instead of having to physically pay money for it.
Just my opinion on it.
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

Avenger wrote:
sagrotan wrote:
Avenger wrote:
Not really because 80% of the time the common rips floating around the internet sound like shit and are really only good for previewing the content. Demos I can understand because in most cases these are old worn out tapes with little to no budget so the recording quality is abysmal but for full length LP's I really don't see why someone wouldn’t want to make their own high quality rip if they own a physical copy of the material.
because ripping vinyls is a pain in the ass. for example (as I experienced, maybe others have better skills) I have always some annoying background noise on the rip, some kind of droning distortion (very low but hearable) caused by cabling, plugs on the soundcard or whatever that I can't get rid off no matter what I try.. :roll:

plus, the ripping, cutting, tagging etc. itself IS a lot of work and as Daniel said, downloading the album is much easier. I do it for exact the same reason. 95% of the mp3s I got I also have as "physical" copies and at home, I will always put on the LP. the mp3s have no whatsoever "value", collectorwise so they don't mean anything for me. they are just easier to handle for mobile devices..
This just comes down to being tech savvy I suppose. Back when I used to collect the odd few vinyls I didn't have an issue making my own rips. Even ripping CD's today I go through and clean up the files and fill out all of the ID3 tags manually. It's always been a labour of love knowing that the final product is better then the same set of files everybody else has that they downloaded from strappado's blog. I guess you can say that I'm anal in that aspect.
just making the experience it has very much to do with the equipment being used (in my case, that is). had my turntable restored lately and am using an imac instead that sodding windows machine.. whatever the problems were I had before, it's all fine now.. no distortion or "flat waveforms" anymore :D

so I am back to ripping vinyl extensively and downloading of my own stuff has been suspended.. even began to re-rip some of the vinyls whose mp3s I dl'ed before..
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

Downloaders will always download and collectors will always buy.

I used to care about this, but now I actually think downloading helps sales. It certainly did when I put out the last 2 REVELATION albums. The band and I decided to put all the stuff up for free and I had more orders that way.

No need to fuss over people downloading 500 to 1,000 press releases, there's no issues with these small pressings selling out for the most part.... and moving on to the next release.