Discogs as a point of reference

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Shiremen

Discogs as a point of reference

Post by Shiremen »

Do you like the Discogs site? I am starting to enjoy the simplicity to it compare to Sammler. However, there are much fewer metal releases added there. So go add those rare releases you own! :)
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

as a source of knowledge this site sucks big time - that is my opinion.

They did some structural & layout changes lately to improve the usability, but the database is still very, very poor compared to musik-sammler.

The only advantage it has over musik sammler is that it is in english.

btw: http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5174
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

That topic was specifically aimed at the market section of Discogs.

Back to topic: Discogs have some pros and cons like every other site, one of the bigger pros are that the images are bigger and that the site is in English, some of the stand-out cons is the numbering of the bands with the same name and sorting on that number instead of country, also the level of information is not as detailed (many use the Country feature of the album to specify the country of origin of a release instead of the country of pressing [yes, these can be different]).
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

After adding a few releases there I am a bit more fond of that site. Adding is easy and the site is updated in a matter of minutes!

There is still a lot to be added though.