Pri$less

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

Last edited by Dokken_Uwe on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Oh fuck, man, I've been laughing my ass off the last 20 minutes or so...

I don't want to know how all this donating system works, the following are enough for me in any case:
And in many cases, the newly remastered versions are in every way superior to their aged counterparts
Plus, the donations mainly cover the hundreds of hours I spent cleaning and restoring the works
This is NOT an alternative to buying the band's original product, rather a means to curb some of the bootlegging and ensuring that these original recordings are still generating money for the bands!
Out of all the bands I have emailed, ALL that have written me back save one (once again, they're checking into contractual obligations) have agreed that this is a wonderful idea. AND, you can credit one of my faithful readers for the idea
"You Owe Me!" Trust me, folks, I'm not trying to be arrogant here...
So I look at it this way: if you come to my site, and you spend time here and you actually LEARN something, you owe me money. If you go to my site and you get nothing at all out of it, then you don't owe me a thing. It's as simple as that my friends.
How about helping us continue to do so? Give and give generously
We are looking for ways to make some cold, hard cash off the website....as I recently lost my job and am looking for ways to gain some income!
I also love how he turns philosophical here
Teachers get paid, T.V. preachers get paid, and they actually allow you to walk away with knowledge of things unknown. The entertainment value alone is enough; I know people who have said they spent hours and hours listening to the classic albums on my site. Then there's the radio show even. Yes, I'm asking for money in the form of donations or what have you, but like I said, I know there are those of you who are walking away with something GOOD. And I believe that the hours upon hours I spend updating this site, and working on a new radio show, putting a music magazine together, that's WORTH something. So unlike many TV preachers who constantly beg for your money without really offering anything good, I am ALWAYS offering SOMETHING for you to do here
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
GJ

Post by GJ »

Hallelujah!
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

I think this all is going a bit too far by now...

Perhaps he's got some serious issues (whatever they maybe) but I don't see any further reason bashing him by quoting old statements and link them to the current situation.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Sorry, I hadn't visited the site for years and I was a bit behind with this wonderful donation system. The current situation is not totally irrelevant, read glock's post on the previous page to see how the whole thing 'evolved' through the years.
It would have been better to say from the start 'Guys I lost my job and I'm broke, please send me some money' rather than invent this dodgy donation system. It's absurd, ridiculous and audacious.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Haha,this is absurd,imagine that I thought at first gluckose's initial post was something like interpretation of what that guy had posted in the thread asking for donations.Ridiculous,someone donate him a sledgehammer to bang his head beneath it.He can then ask money from the company that makes them to compensate for his headache.Geez..
Never trust the Goblin King....
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Nasty Uwe wrote:I think this all is going a bit too far by now...

Perhaps he's got some serious issues (whatever they maybe) but I don't see any further reason bashing him by quoting old statements and link them to the current situation.
It's ot really OLD statments.

When you go to there site. one of the first things you see(as of today)
Are BIG letters saying "You owe Me" (this is in Dollar Green by the way)

When you click on it you see the first statment I posted here.

It was only after looking at the News log that I saw the back history of how it got this far.
"I am NOT a collector"
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Nasty Uwe wrote:I think this all is going a bit too far by now...

Why didn't you mention this thread
http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5441

That you started to help him get money to pay for this years hosting.

He seams to have been asking for Donations for over 2 years / Selling stuff on ebay (to save the site) and selling CDR's for bands at $7 & $3.50 each, BUT couldn't come up with the $110 for hosting until the folks here and his Facebook page helped days before the shut down.

I beleive he OWES YOU!
"I am NOT a collector"
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

glockose wrote: Why didn't you mention this thread
http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5441

That you started to help him get money to pay for this years hosting.
I thought you had already seen this one.
Someone else did also mention that "there is another thread on this topic".

Anyway, I'm not longer interested in this topic, neither in defending VoD/myself (for support) nor criticizing his way to earn money.

I've stated my points of view, that's it.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Very well sir.

I Though still have a problem with this "his way to earn money"
Shouldn't it be his way of supporting his website

Also there is one last thing I am very confused about.
I live (in maybe walking distance) from his PO in GA)
I have been here for 19 years and selling records (rare metal) for longer, I ran OPM Records for 10 years releasing Rare Metal (or at least trying)
I have had/have everything that is uploaded on VoD.

I have never talked to VoD, they have never tried to contact me/OPM.
Why? OPM never had a problem with cash (we were lucky) if we were asked to sponcer the site for 5-10 years we would have talked about it as it could have been a go tax right off. I mean $110 a year, well ..... Thats not much ... and he would have never had to ask anyone for a donation, if that was his intent.

Again I have stated a few time in this tread I have nothing againest VoD I just don't understand how the folks here think some sites are OK for asking for money and some are not.

Now I am also done I wont post again.
"I am NOT a collector"
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Nasty Uwe wrote:Btw, if anyone sells some Records as "Second hand" items on record fairs/flea markets, do you really think that even one band will see any royalities or getting paid??? :wink:
This has been discussed here before. You are legally allowed to resell hard copies of music material that you have previously purchased. As long as it's in the original form, i.e. not a burnt copy.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

As far as I see it, if someone posts stuff on the internet, spends hours cleaning audio files and posts them up they are running a blog and they are doing it voluntarily. An internet radio station is also a voluntary thing, a hobby. It can be used to generate interest in another (money-making project) that you are engaged in but to turn around one day and say "You Owe Me" for what is essentially a hobby smacks of desperation to me. Nobody owes VoD anything same as nobody owes Wikipedia anything. It's like I were to put a heap of books out on a main street somewhere for people to take away and then suddenly say "hey, you owe me for those books". I'm glad I only visited this site three or four times, else I would feel pressurized and guilty because this guy says I owe him something.

But I AM very interested in this whole "ownership of music" discussion which I think is a very valuable one. People here have a lot of knowledge and I am learning a great deal. To whom do I send my donations?
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

I usually avoid conflicts but after reading all the above postings i would like to express my opinion.

First of all, it is everyone's right to ask for money and of course everyone's right not to pay. But i just can't understand the "you owe me" phrase.

Back in the '90s getting information about rare vinyls was extremely hard. Most of the collectors used OPM's, Rare Ass', A.Spremo's, J.Allinson's, J. Pangallo's, Vinyl Tap's etc. lists to learn about hard to find records and also used them as price guides. With that in mind, many of the old collectors "owe" to the above sellers for the knowledge they aquired. And i know what many of you would answer, that these sellers made money in exchange of the "knowledge" they passed. Well, many of the collectors never bought from the above sellers, just ordered their lists so they could get the free "knowledge".

This is my opinion, noone owes nobody anything. Information is supposed to be free at the internet (that is the basis of the net, anyway).
And when i say information, i mean information, not the actual music.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

chatzial wrote:I usually avoid conflicts but after reading all the above postings i would like to express my opinion.

First of all, it is everyone's right to ask for money and of course everyone's right not to pay. But i just can't understand the "you owe me" phrase.

Back in the '90s getting information about rare vinyls was extremely hard. Most of the collectors used OPM's, Rare Ass', A.Spremo's, J.Allinson's, J. Pangallo's, Vinyl Tap's etc. lists to learn about hard to find records and also used them as price guides. With that in mind, many of the old collectors "owe" to the above sellers for the knowledge they aquired. And i know what many of you would answer, that these sellers made money in exchange of the "knowledge" they passed. Well, many of the collectors never bought from the above sellers, just ordered their lists so they could get the free "knowledge".

This is my opinion, noone owes nobody anything. Information is supposed to be free at the internet (that is the basis of the net, anyway).
And when i say information, i mean information, not the actual music.
Nice post!
Ah, the good ol' days of mail order catalogs :) Yes, info was hard to come by back then, and you could forget about hearing most of the rare items on those lists before you bought them. Those guys weren't always very willing to share their knowledge either. I was a regular customer of both Spremo and Allinson for years and heaven forbid I ask them a question about a record's value that wasn't in their catalog. I remember finding a copy of the Metal Massacre picture disc box set and trying to get some info on it before buying it; it was like pulling teeth to get either of those guys to tell me something about it. Allinson would also cut you from his mailing list if you didn't order something from 2 straight catalogs. I used to live less than an hour from him and did get to visit his place a few times and see/hear a few of his rare items.

And back to VoD- following the example of some TV preacher is about the worst idea imaginable :lol:
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

So,why don't you guys pay them money for that info.I guess that without spreading that info,they wouldn't be able to sell ANY of those so-called rare records,some of them even named as RARE by the sellers themselves and by their own criteria.They were advertising their merchandise and that could only benefit their business.Should they have n=been paid twice for thatBoth the sold product and the provided info?Crazy...
Never trust the Goblin King....