Pri$less

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Trying to clarify here:

Strappado posted a donations request.
He wanted to buy more music to post.
He posts downloadable links.
Folks complained about his donation request.

VOD posted a donations request.
He wanted money to keep his site running.
He posts streaming links (not downloadable TMK).
Folks have not complained about his donation request.

I think Glock wants to know why people complained about Strappado's request but not VOD's request.

Personally I found them both absurd.

Strappado's request basically said, "give me money so I can buy rare records and in return I'll post mp3s of the rare records for you to hear".

VOD's request basically said, "give me money b/c I've earned it and deserve it for all the work I did providing streaming links to you for all these years".

VOD could have made a fairly reasonable request if he just said, "hey, I can't afford the site upkeep fees right now so i'm asking for help to cover this bill so i don't have to close shop; if you enjoy my site please consider chipping in". But instead he claims "you all owe me".

Hope that clarifies, hopefully I did not put words in Glock's mouth.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

nightsblood wrote:Trying to clarify here:

Strappado posted a donations request.
He wanted to buy more music to post.
He posts downloadable links.
Folks complained about his donation request.

VOD posted a donations request.
He wanted money to keep his site running.
He posts streaming links (not downloadable TMK).
Folks have not complained about his donation request.

I think Glock wants to know why people complained about Strappado's request but not VOD's request.

Personally I found them both absurd.

Strappado's request basically said, "give me money so I can buy rare records and in return I'll post mp3s of the rare records for you to hear".

VOD's request basically said, "give me money b/c I've earned it and deserve it for all the work I did providing streaming links to you for all these years".

VOD could have made a fairly reasonable request if he just said, "hey, I can't afford the site upkeep fees right now so i'm asking for help to cover this bill so i don't have to close shop; if you enjoy my site please consider chipping in". But instead he claims "you all owe me".

Hope that clarifies, hopefully I did not put words in Glock's mouth.
Thats just about it.
I wanted to know what folks thought about VoD and then I guess I was shocked at the result.

I guess what I am learning is "Donation" is the BIG differance between these kind of sites and bootlegging.

If the site stated that you had to pay then this is criminal. But since they are only begging for money then there is no problem???
"I am NOT a collector"
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Glockose, you're a bit off the point this time it think. VoD is asking for donations, not for fees. For years he provided rare records for others to hear for free (no downloads). And no one is forced to pay anything even now. Asking for donations is not something i would do, but it's totally free market style, so it should be okay with you. :wink:

With physical bootlegs you are forced to pay for something and it makes life for honest labels harder, for me that is the difference to a site like VoD.

I myself never used VoD and therefore didn't donate anything. And if DaN would ask for donations, i would pay for a round of beer at the KIT for sure. :lol:
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

As I have said before it is a thin line.

I think, donations are a way to ask for money without forcing people to pay (as Sgt. Kuntz said too).

What for me is important is the way HOW people ask for money (and for what reason).

(sadly that second VoD statement was written in a more harsh way than the first one :? ).
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

This is the one that gets me.

"So I look at it this way: if you come to my site, and you spend time here and you actually LEARN something, you owe me money"
"I am NOT a collector"
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

glockose wrote:This is the one that gets me.

"So I look at it this way: if you come to my site, and you spend time here and you actually LEARN something, you owe me money"
He shouldn't have said that of course, that is nonsense.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Eskew Reeder

Post by Eskew Reeder »

TANSTAAFL
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Sorry guys but who said that you can't download from VoD site? I used to do that when I had time many years ago...

It's very easy (but painful). Right click on each song (.ram extension) & then save on your computer. Then you go to the .ram file---> right click ---> open with notepad. When the notepad will pop up you will see a link with the .ra extension which is downable (just copy+paste it on a new tab) & available if you want to listen to songs even if you are not online. But ok yes that was useful back in 1997 LOL! :lol: 8)
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

I guess VoD has learned that it’s kinda "stupid" to do the site out from their own pockets and hence they asked for money (ie, donation). They probably think they deserve some kind of tangible return on the services they have been providing over the years. The unwise thing they did was they chose to piss off some people by coming out with overblown statement like “you owe me money”. Sign of a midlife crisis, maybe? :wink:

I’m not defending for VoD but bear in mind that they are still a “free” site, meaning it’s always opened for everyone even he/she has never donated a single penny. This is a huge difference from other commercial sites that demand for membership fees or pay-per-listen kind of thing.

After all, VoD is providing free streaming of audio files in low-fi quality and those files are not downloadable. Yeah, some IT savvy folks might figure out a way to download those files but then those are things that you can’t control (not even Microsoft can). Some folks probably remember in the home-taping days when people used to record songs from radio onto tapes? You don’t call the radio stations bootleggers, don’t you?

By the way, Youtube make money from advertising hence they don’t need donation.
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

The files are downloadable, end of the story.
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

well something's going on with the forum lately. I've posted some other words but I can't see them. I was saying that the files on VoD are downloadable the point is why strappado asked for donations? He just steals links from other sites. Will the donations help him to become a better thief?? :lol: :lol:
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

mega_lodon wrote:After all, VoD is providing free streaming of audio files in low-fi quality and those files are not downloadable. Yeah, some IT savvy folks might figure out a way to download those files but then those are things that you can’t control (not even Microsoft can). Some folks probably remember in the home-taping days when people used to record songs from radio onto tapes? You don’t call the radio stations bootleggers, don’t you?

By the way, Youtube make money from advertising hence they don’t need donation.
Commercial Radio Stations are suppose to pay royalties ever time a song is played. That is why they have things called Pirate Radio Stations.
"I am NOT a collector"
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:well something's going on with the forum lately. I've posted some other words but I can't see them. I was saying that the files on VoD are downloadable the point is why strappado asked for donations? He just steals links from other sites. Will the donations help him to become a better thief?? :lol: :lol:
How does VoD get there files?
"I am NOT a collector"
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Neb- Thanks for the correction; so VoD files were downloadable with a lil' extra know-how

OK, the discussion is now lurching forward :)

Re: 'donations', the recent posts still don't explain why people complained about Strappado's donation request but not VoD's donation request. Is there some difference between what the 2 sites offer that made one request ok and the other not? Or are folks playing favorites- VoD is an old, established part of the scene, Strap- is a more recent blog sometimes accused of stealing links?

I have no vested interest in the matter, just trying to keep the conversation on the main question at hand
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

glockose wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:well something's going on with the forum lately. I've posted some other words but I can't see them. I was saying that the files on VoD are downloadable the point is why strappado asked for donations? He just steals links from other sites. Will the donations help him to become a better thief?? :lol: :lol:
How does VoD get there files?
Some of the old files thru CDR/mp3 trading. I personally had traded with him quite a few times before the rapidshare/megaupload/blog era, at least 80% of what I was sending him was uploaded there. I don't know about the more recent albums, but that shouldn't be very hard to guess.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart