Best Reissues.

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
mega_lodon

Best Reissues.

Post by mega_lodon »

There’s a thread about “Worst re-issues” in this forum. Well, I think we shouldn’t be always all negative towards things (new things especially). Some labels do put out solid reissues. Give credit where credit is due; let’s start a thread about “Best Reissues”.

Some titles I can think of now:

- Deep Switch 2CD (Shadow Kingdom). Killer reissue version comes with nice booklet and a bonus disc with great songs. One of the best reissues in years (if you ignore the somewhat substandard cover replication).

- Slayer “Reign in Blood” steelbox CD (Sony UK). Very nice embossed steelbox packaging. Not that kind of superfluous or “pretty” boxset that they made to attract gay boys if you know what I mean. Just solid feeling here. Oh, the sound on the CD is awesome too (though I’m not too sure ‘cos this is the one and only RIB CD that I own….)

- Dark Angel “We have arrived” CD (Dark Realm). Ok it’s a digipak… but at least it comes with the original artwork. The very 1st original CD version does not even have a booklet if I’m not wrong….

- Rotting Christ “Thy Mighty Contract” CD (Century Media). Guess no one will agree with me on this one. Yep the physical aspect of the new CD is pure shit; it’s the killer bonus song “Visions of the Dead Lover” on the CD make up the shortfall. It's my fave RC song and originally available only on a 7”. Back then I was hoping I could have it on a CD so I could listen to it at my convenience. That reissue CD came out later was my life-saver. :wink:

So what are the reissues that you would recommend heartily? Which reissues do you think they give the originals a run for their money? What do you think about those classic Metal reissues from Castle, Displeased, Century Media, etc?
Note that I only count those titles that are reissued on the same media format as the originals. The purpose is to make a comparison of new and old versions. Ok, let the shoot-out begins. :lol:
Ernest Thesiger

Re: Best Reissues.

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

mega_lodon wrote:Not that kind of superfluous or “pretty” boxset that they made to attract gay boys if you know what I mean.
Yeah, my copy of South of Heaven was the "Butterflies in Pink Underpants" edition. It was rubbish.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

It seems that the Area Death reissues are great. I have just one CD by them, and it is fantastic!
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:Yeah, my copy of South of Heaven was the "Butterflies in Pink Underpants" edition. It was rubbish.
I offer you $10,000 for this mega-rar, tr00 kvlt edition. :lol:
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Fatal Violence-Ashes Tell No Tales CD/DVD STORMSPELL (got to wait for the Slander one and see if i can include it here
:wink:

also the Brocas Helm-Defender Of The Crown on eat metal records is fantastic!
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Best 5 reissues eveeeer:

1. Death Dealer DLP by Fils De Metal
2. Max Planck LP by BBTD
3. Energy Vampires DLP by Shadow Kingdom
4. Abominator first demo by NWN
5. Stormqueen anthology by OPM
Long Live The Loud !!!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Interesting choice, since for me the extreme noise reduction makes the audio unlistenable, serious headache inducing sounds on this disc. Nice 'package' otherwise, I need to get a cd-r together of tape rips and put it inside, maybe I'll open the case every now and again if I do that.
MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:Fatal Violence-Ashes Tell No Tales CD/DVD STORMSPELL
slayerhatesusall

Post by slayerhatesusall »

I really like the Master's hammer- Ritual/ jilemnice occutist reissue, nice digipak design with cool artwork and it just looks really good. Also the Target- master project genesis/ mission executed reissue is pretty awesome.
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

Iron Maiden reissues were very good when they came out 12 or 13 years ago. Thick booklets with lots of photos, videos on the disc (this was something back then! there was no youtube to watch this at will), Even some great bonus tracks if I remember correctly (like Total Eclipse). This are the only reissues that I am not tempted to swap for the original press.
Divine Victim

Post by Divine Victim »

mega_lodon wrote:Rotting Christ “Thy Mighty Contract” CD (Century Media). Guess no one will agree with me on this one. Yep the physical aspect of the new CD is pure shit; it’s the killer bonus song “Visions of the Dead Lover” on the CD make up the shortfall. It's my fave RC song and originally available only on a 7”. Back then I was hoping I could have it on a CD so I could listen to it at my convenience. That reissue CD came out later was my life-saver. :wink:
I have to be predictable and say that for me replacing original artwork is always a thumbs down, and the 'scary brown smudge' they used instead is pretty crap! It also can't rank alongside re-releases which have liner notes and pictures that place the release in its historical context.

HOWEVER, I totally agree that it's awesome to have those bonus songs. I have this re-release too and it is definitely to be treasured for that reason.
mega_lodon wrote:Note that I only count those titles that are reissued on the same media format as the originals. The purpose is to make a comparison of new and old versions. Ok, let the shoot-out begins. :lol:
Doesn't your Deep Switch nomination break that rule then? I didn't realise it had an earlier CD release but I may well be mistaken.

Anyway enough pedantry. Some recent ones that spring to mind for me:

DRAGONSLAYER - S/T (Shadow Kingdom)
- I foresee lots of Shadow Kingdom nominations in this thread; they really have unleashed some exquisite artefacts. I love this particular CD (I'm sure the LP rules too but I don't have it), it has a really vintage vibe in the colours, and the booklet is crammed with characterful photos.

BLACK KNIGHT CD Anthology (Cult Metal Classics)
- huge, quality booklet with loads of liner notes, and a bonus video. This is what every CD re-release should be like!

And if we are going into vinyl territory as well, hats must go off to Nuclear War Now, who have created some frankly ludicrous monuments to metal. The only one I own is the MASTER'S HAMMER Ritual/The Jilemnice Occultist 4LP with stunning purple and gold packaging. And I didn't even go for the die hard version with patch, A2 poster and turntable mat! :lol:

I have also seen their AUTOPSY 'Awakened By Gore' die-hard, which is just as amazing.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

special mention goes for the last 5 releases by BBTAD :!:
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

doomedplanet wrote:Interesting choice, since for me the extreme noise reduction makes the audio unlistenable, serious headache inducing sounds on this disc. Nice 'package' otherwise, I need to get a cd-r together of tape rips and put it inside, maybe I'll open the case every now and again if I do that.
MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:Fatal Violence-Ashes Tell No Tales CD/DVD STORMSPELL
I'm sure this was addressed before, but just for the sake of those who are not familiar: this cd was remixed and remastered by David Enlow himself. I'd have loved to do it, but Dave wanted to do it himself. Anyhow, apparently there were problems with the masters which took quite a lot to work out through. I almost lost faith this release will transpire at some point. Hopefully it did. It is not perfect for sure, but given what it is (some 20+ year old demo collection recorded at some hole-in-the-garage "studio") it is not so bad. As I've told Rob already before I'd have loved to remaster it differently, but it wasn't my decision to make, so I hope we can lay this to rest once and for all.

Rob, please send it back and I'll refund you on the spot. This applies to everyone else which finds it "unlistenable" of course.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Fatal Violence, I keep it for the bonus DVD of course, now that is listenable. By the way, if you ever talk to Dave again, feel free to tell him that the song 'Violence is Golden" is a long time favorite of mine since the 80's, actually my favorite track of that volume of Metal Massacre. I never had a chance to hear any other song of theirs until I was able to download the whole demo in the mid 2000's. This reason, above all else, is why I really was disappointed with the sound. I wanted it to sound great. (the tape rips i have sound just fine). I really hunted for a full length album by them in the 80's but of course it didn't exist.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

doomedplanet wrote:By the way, if you ever talk to Dave again, feel free to tell him that the song 'Violence is Golden" is a long time favorite of mine since the 80's, actually my favorite track of that volume of Metal Massacre.
my fave one too! and couldnt agree more that is the best track on that compilation, since i discovered it there i wished to get more stuff from that band,and stormspell granted my wish,just like with other great reissues
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

pan_Heathen wrote:Iron Maiden reissues were very good when they came out 12 or 13 years ago. Thick booklets with lots of photos, videos on the disc (this was something back then! there was no youtube to watch this at will), Even some great bonus tracks if I remember correctly (like Total Eclipse). This are the only reissues that I am not tempted to swap for the original press.
Those were the 1998 reissues right? My uncle had most of those, the spines made a picture of Eddie when arranged in order or something, I've heard some people say they were bad sounding but I never noticed much of a difference sound-wise.