Best Reissues?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
mega_lodon

Best Reissues?

Post by mega_lodon »

There’s a thread about “Worst re-issues” in this forum. Well, I think we shouldn’t be always all negative towards things (new things especially). Some labels do put out solid reissues. Give credit where credit is due; let’s start a thread about “Best Reissues”.

Some titles I can think of now:

- Deep Switch 2CD (Shadow Kingdom). Killer reissue version comes with nice booklet and a bonus disc with great songs. One of the best reissues in years (if you ignore the somewhat substandard cover replication).

- Slayer “Reign in Blood” steelbox CD (Sony UK). Very nice embossed steelbox packaging. Not that kind of superfluous or “pretty” boxset that they made to attract gay boys if you know what I mean. Just solid feeling here. Oh, the sound on the CD is awesome too (though I’m not too sure ‘cos this is the one and only RIB CD that I own….)

- Dark Angel “We have arrived” CD (Dark Realm). Ok it’s a digipak… but at least it comes with the original artwork. The very 1st original CD version does not even have a booklet if I’m not wrong….

- Rotting Christ “Thy Mighty Contract” CD (Century Media). Guess no one will agree with me on this one. Yep the physical aspect of the new CD is pure shit; it’s the killer bonus song “Visions of the Dead Lover” on the CD make up the shortfall. It's my fave RC song and originally available only on a 7”. Back then I was hoping I could have it on a CD so I could listen to it at my convenience. That reissue CD came out later was my life-saver. :wink:

So what are the reissues that you would recommend heartily? Which reissues do you think they give the originals a run for their money? What do you think about those classic Metal reissues from Castle, Displeased, Century Media, etc?
Note that I only count those titles that are reissued on the same media format as the originals. The purpose is to make a comparison of new and old versions. Ok, let the shout-out begins. :lol:
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

Some titles I can think of now:

- Deep Switch 'NINE INCHES OF GOD' 2CD (Shadow Kingdom). Killer reissue version comes with nice booklet and a bonus disc with great songs. One of the best reissues in years (if you ignore the somewhat substandard cover replication).

Yes this is awesome...!!

I never cared about the cover duplication, issuse, because the music matters the most...I hate bonus tracks on reissues, so the second disc was a godsend.

Glad to see this repressed on to CD, everytime, I reach for my Deaf Dealer "Keeper of the Flame" CD, I also reach for this and vice versa.

I never buy or expect re-editions to surpass the original editon, I only get reissues to retire a early edition, because I only use tapes/ lp's and CD's and not mp'3 or ipods or whatever.

Attacker- Battle at helms deep by Sentinel Steel, awesome booklet !!!

Juggernaut- Baptism Under Fire Maximum Metal everything the do is stellar and awesome.

Watchtower- Energetic Disassembly by Monster Records....I like this better than the 2 Institute of Art Editions, from 1994 and 1997

The Metal Blade/ Enigma... Japanese Version of Voi Vod - War and Pain...has a better back layout in comparison to the Metal Blade/ Restless and Metal Blade/ Music For Nations Versions
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I can swear this topic has been done before, but I cannot find it.

A couple of killer reissues for me are:
Pretty much any Stormspell reissue.
Pretty much any Shadow Kingdom reissue.
The Rogend Series on Jave Music -> Korean old school heavy metal reissued on CD.
Candlemass reissues on Powerline
Rotor - Árvaház on Blower records
Skanners reissues on My Graveyard Productions
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

This one is called BEST REISSUES.

The one your thinking of where you saw it before is called

"WORST REISSUES".
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I have recommended the Blower reissue and the Candlemass series in another thread about reissues before. And it was not the thread about the Worst Reissues.
CloudsOfMetal

Post by CloudsOfMetal »

I like Stormspell and Shadow Kingdom reissues a lot. Brennus and High Vaultage are also neat and some Cult Metal Classics releases have been surprisingly good. Maybe I haven't bought those bad releases some of you were talking about in other threads.
only the heaviest weather available
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

I loved the Thruster MIA reissue....the 7" bonus to the grey LP especially was very nice!
Keir

Post by Keir »

DeathMetalWeenie wrote:Attacker- Battle at helms deep by Sentinel Steel, awesome booklet !!!
I really need to get this one. The reissue of The Second Coming is great too.
Warepire wrote:I have recommended the Blower reissue and the Candlemass series in another thread about reissues before. And it was not the thread about the Worst Reissues.
It's possible that you replied to this one during that period when a bunch of posts got deleted.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Keir wrote:
Warepire wrote:I have recommended the Blower reissue and the Candlemass series in another thread about reissues before. And it was not the thread about the Worst Reissues.
It's possible that you replied to this one during that period when a bunch of posts got deleted.
That may have been the case.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

DeathMetalWeenie wrote:This one is called BEST REISSUES.

The one your thinking of where you saw it before is called

"WORST REISSUES".
No it's not.

There's actually another re-issue thread already.

I'll look for it later and combine the two.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."