Worst Re-issues

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I found out the hard way last year, don't mention in detail the worst reissues or you might insult someone and get raked over the coals for it.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

doomedplanet wrote:I found out the hard way last year, don't mention in detail the worst reissues or you might insult someone and get raked over the coals for it.
That's a shame; nothing says 'asshole' like doing a shitty job and then acting like a crybaby when people call you out on it.

I know some people are overly anal and unrealistic in their expectations- not every reissue can come with a 120-page booklet and collect every single note the band ever put on tape. But people paying for a reissue expect a bit more than a rip from a 8th-generation tape dub w/ some pixelated artwork on it and no liner notes.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Still beating the dead horse. Nice
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

Some band re-issues come plain because the band never kept a thing from the old days.
vansinne

Post by vansinne »

I'm listening to the CD reissue of Retrosatan - Grito Mortal that came out a couple of years ago and the sound is horrible, compressed like 64 kbit mp3s. Anyone know what they used as source material?
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

vansinne wrote:I'm listening to the CD reissue of Retrosatan - Grito Mortal that came out a couple of years ago and the sound is horrible, compressed like 64 kbit mp3s. Anyone know what they used as source material?
no wonder why is so cheap, thanx for the heads up...
lox

Post by lox »

The Sentinel wrote:Hmm, shit. So, I have to add the Taist Of Iron LP back on my wantlist then, crap! I have to hear the original to compare.
Yes. Ask doomedplanet for his old vinyl rip (since it cant be posted), compared to that the reissue sound like a weirdly eq'ed demo, the volume goes randomly up and down, it's even worse than the Skol CD.

but

It's not fair to single out Skol records for bad sounding reissues, big labels with more money are releasing crap constantly without much complaing, we need a thread about that.

Labels can't rely solely on bands to provide good sounding tapes, they have to work on this, comparing original vinyl, tape copies and even bootlegs. If there is no good sounding audio source: please don't release it and demand money for it.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

lox wrote:If there is no good sounding audio source: please don't release it and demand money for it.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
bobo

Post by bobo »

That is true that Skol is not the only label. Greek labels Sonic Age and No Remorse use very suspicious sources.
Titan Force reissues - Sound goes up and down
Maltese Falcon demo cd's - mp3 source
Manilla road Crystal Logic on Shadow Kingdom - mp3 source....

List goes on and on

What is common to a lot of reissues and not on these labels only, majority of them suffer from loudness and very poor sound processing. If the label doesn't have master tape, which is understandable, use vinyl or good tape.
Remastering should not have been done by amateurs. If you don't know how to do it, leave it and give to someone who knows.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

The Sentinel wrote:Hmm, shit. So, I have to add the Taist Of Iron LP back on my wantlist then, crap!
Seconded.
It's not fair to single out Skol records for bad sounding reissues, big labels with more money are releasing crap constantly without much complaing, we need a thread about that.

Agree on non-singling out and the thread. Where to put it? VoT as well?
I am ... the One you warned me of
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

If my memories are good, there was an old thread about bad re-releases, don't remember if it was in VOT or IB though.
lox

Post by lox »

omen of hate wrote:If my memories are good, there was an old thread about bad re-releases, don't remember if it was in VOT or IB though.
''Search'' does not delivered aynthing for me. Only vinyl 1995-20xx or something. I guess a reissue sticky thread about CD & vinyl reissues (the good and the bad!) is needed?

Preferably with detailed release info with links to discogs and/or RYM. And people should post only if they have the actual release in their hands or heard it thru their stereo. Rumours & hearsay is not corro worthy.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I've found the old thread about bad re-issues, it's in Metal Conquest, here : http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/view ... sc&start=0
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

Maybe not the "worst" reissue but does anybody have any problems with Dark Rails Records reissue of Fuck Off's "Hell On Earth"? The sound is kind of distant and bassy compared to the original vinyl and I think the Patac reissue also. It says the CD is remastered so I think that might be the problem.
Shimrod

Post by Shimrod »

I have the Picap reissue (with no bonus tracks) and did not notice sound issues.