Worst Re-issues

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

Shimrod wrote:I have the Picap reissue (with no bonus tracks) and did not notice sound issues.
Good to know. I will have to hunt that one down also.
Shimrod

Post by Shimrod »

I have never heard the original vinyl so the sound might be the same as on your cd. But I'm listening to the first tracks right now and the sound does not shock me. It's kinda good and powerfull (maybe much bass but not distant in any way). Anyway the reissue is easy to find on Amazon and cheap at the moment.
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

Shimrod wrote:I have never heard the original vinyl so the sound might be the same as on your cd. But I'm listening to the first tracks right now and the sound does not shock me. It's kinda good and powerfull (maybe much bass but not distant in any way). Anyway the reissue is easy to find on Amazon and cheap at the moment.
I still think I will go for the Picap version. The Dark Rails version seems pretty bassy but overall good sounding but I heard the Picap version and I think it sounds better and with more space.
lox

Re:

Post by lox »

Rather old reissue but nonethenless a disgrace:

Fates Warning ‎– The Spectre Within on Metal Blade 2012

http://www.discogs.com/Fates-Warning-Th ... se/4989974

Terribly dull sound, no highs (especially on the solos) whatsoever, everything seems to be cut off. Pressing is a joke, dozens of non-fill defects but blue-sprinkle-on-my-ass-vinyl. It does not end there. The gatefold is damn cheap, the ''liner notes'' just some fanboy babble, the bandphoto on the backcover is badly photoshopped with half of the heads cut off...

Well, seems the average Roadrunner 80s pressing will have to do it for now. :?
laasgaardh

Re: Worst Re-issues

Post by laasgaardh »

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it already, but god that Iron Glory re-issue of Iron Cross - s/t is annoying. Maybe it was intended as a compilation, but why the hell did they include all the tracks from the album except one, and mix up the tracklist with songs from the later EP's?!
Northwinds

Re: Re:

Post by Northwinds »

lox wrote:Rather old reissue but nonethenless a disgrace:

Fates Warning ‎– The Spectre Within on Metal Blade 2012

http://www.discogs.com/Fates-Warning-Th ... se/4989974

Terribly dull sound, no highs (especially on the solos) whatsoever, everything seems to be cut off. Pressing is a joke, dozens of non-fill defects but blue-sprinkle-on-my-ass-vinyl. It does not end there. The gatefold is damn cheap, the ''liner notes'' just some fanboy babble, the bandphoto on the backcover is badly photoshopped with half of the heads cut off...

Well, seems the average Roadrunner 80s pressing will have to do it for now. :?
I stay away from colored vinyl reissues for that reason, they tend to sound like crap. I have all the original Fates Warning albums and prefer their sound
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Re: Worst Re-issues

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

laasgaardh wrote:Don't know if anyone has mentioned it already, but god that Iron Glory re-issue of Iron Cross - s/t is annoying. Maybe it was intended as a compilation, but why the hell did they include all the tracks from the album except one, and mix up the tracklist with songs from the later EP's?!
I look at it as a compilation,otherwise I get same feeling....

The sound is decent though