Worst Re-issues

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Divine Victim

Post by Divine Victim »

DeathMetalWeenie wrote:Worse than price killers is SPV mid-price series.
Yes, I have their version of GRIFFIN's 'Protectors of the Lair' and it's total dogshit. There's not even a fucking tracklisting anywhere, just adverts for other SPV releases. The single-folded insert has no lyrics inside, just yet more adverts. An utter disgrace. The ONLY positive is that they kept the same cover art.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

akira wrote:FEMS is OK but Metalminds is a bit clearer. These two are good reissues, not too loud. Brickwalled sound is going on my nerves too.
I didn't like Neat cd of Satan, sound is muffled. It seems that has been taken from vinyl.
I know that A LOT of Metal Mind reissues are brickwalled to the max. The Chastain ones come to mind, the aren't even limited they just redline and clip the whole way through. Completely horrible discs.

I don't know what Neat did with the Satan CD, if it came from vinyl it must be a terrible transfer as the original LP sounds absolutely perfect. Pressing quality on all of the original Neat UK vinyl (that I have, anyway) is superb, the recording quality of course varies between releases.
akira

Post by akira »

perishinflames wrote:
akira wrote:FEMS is OK but Metalminds is a bit clearer. These two are good reissues, not too loud. Brickwalled sound is going on my nerves too.
I didn't like Neat cd of Satan, sound is muffled. It seems that has been taken from vinyl.
I know that A LOT of Metal Mind reissues are brickwalled to the max. The Chastain ones come to mind, the aren't even limited they just redline and clip the whole way through. Completely horrible discs.
Metalmind didn't reissue Chastain.
I am not that strict about reissues. Some are mandatory cause their initial cd issue is crap sounding. All those Roadrunner, Steamhammer, Shrapnel cd's sound shit so reissues of these albums are desirable.

Neat's Satan cd was vinyl rip and a terrible one. New reissue is from master tapes and sounds really good.
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

I avoid Metal Mind CD's like the plague - they are flimsy digipacks and I hate that. Plus the so-called remastering usually is totally crappy. Listen to their reissue of Blind Illusion's "The Sane Asylum" - it does sound louder and clearer than the original release but it totally kills the feel of the album. Plus the legality of some of the those Metal Mind reissues is dubious. The Blessed Death reissues are not cleared with the band for example.

And those Roadrunner CD's do NOT sound bad in the slightest. I wish more bands sounded as good as my original Kinetic Dissent and Quick Change CD's.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

That IMAGE cd with the MLP. I find it great when bands put out their own stuff but if a band is not able to do it properly, please hand it over to a professional label.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

The Sentinel wrote:That IMAGE cd with the MLP. I find it great when bands put out their own stuff but if a band is not able to do it properly, please hand it over to a professional label.
Word.
What's the name of this release?
akira

Post by akira »

Zdan wrote: And those Roadrunner CD's do NOT sound bad in the slightest. I wish more bands sounded as good as my original Kinetic Dissent and Quick Change CD's.
Compare them to vinyl equivalents and you'll see how "good" they sound. People like them because they are first cd pressings and no one have the guts to say they suck. I used to have a lot of these and sold almost all, left some for sentimental value.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

This is a very common problem I've noticed, not sure specifics of the cds being mentioned but I've noticed a lot of cd mastering problems over the years, hate to think about it...
akira wrote: Compare them to vinyl equivalents and you'll see how "good" they sound. People like them because they are first cd pressings and no one have the guts to say they suck. I used to have a lot of these and sold almost all, left some for sentimental value.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

I've got the original CD of Sacred Reich's Ignorance & it's one of the quietest discs I have alongside REM's Murmur. In no rush to acquire any other '80s RR CDs.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Nasty Uwe wrote:
The Sentinel wrote:That IMAGE cd with the MLP. I find it great when bands put out their own stuff but if a band is not able to do it properly, please hand it over to a professional label.
Word.
What's the name of this release?
Cannot find it right now but I remember it's simply called IMAGE with the MLP front.
Long Live The Loud !!!
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:I've got the original CD of Sacred Reich's Ignorance & it's one of the quietest discs I have alongside REM's Murmur. In no rush to acquire any other '80s RR CDs.
The volume knob is there for a reason :wink:
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

perishinflames wrote:
Ernest Thesiger wrote:I've got the original CD of Sacred Reich's Ignorance & it's one of the quietest discs I have alongside REM's Murmur. In no rush to acquire any other '80s RR CDs.
The volume knob is there for a reason :wink:
A while ago I did a rip of it, boosted the volume in GoldWave then burned that to CD-R.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:A while ago I did a rip of it, boosted the volume in GoldWave then burned that to CD-R.
:shock: I blame this on Lars Ulrich!
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Nasty Uwe wrote:I got disappointed by the ION BRITTON "Eat metal" CD.
It has no booklet, just the cover as an Inlay, furthermore features no bonus tracks etc.

At least the sound is pretty good, but I did expect a lot more for 13€. :?
thanks for the heads up! doubt ill get it now..

on topic, i think any mexican edition of any (mostly) classic heavy metal album comes in very cheap quality, i remember when i started collecting i always had to sort out the mexican editions from the original issues,pure fake coins....
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

doomedplanet wrote:This is a very common problem I've noticed, not sure specifics of the cds being mentioned but I've noticed a lot of cd mastering problems over the years, hate to think about it...
akira wrote: Compare them to vinyl equivalents and you'll see how "good" they sound. People like them because they are first cd pressings and no one have the guts to say they suck. I used to have a lot of these and sold almost all, left some for sentimental value.
Speaking of vinyl, any disappointing vinyl reissues from recent years? I thought HR's Pentagram LP was pretty crappy. The packaging and sound quality was every bit as bad as the cheap bootlegs that have circulated for years. the release reeked of a cheap, quick, cash-in.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky