BOOTLEGS VS MP3

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

big mouth wrote:
Fit For Fight was reissued on LP by Hell's Headbangers some month ago, don't know if is was official.
To this day it hasn't been releasd yet and it will be official.
and on the contrary,they seem to keep delaying it.....
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Ah... I thought it was done. But I'm not interested since I got the CD. So if one day I want it in LP I'll get the original.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Ah... I thought it was done. But I'm not interested since I got the CD. So if one day I want it in LP I'll get the original.
That's a cool choice but if you donb't get the one to be released you're gonna miss tons of never heard before material.... :lol:
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

for me, it is:
"having original pressings (mainly vinyl) is like having original leonardo da vinci's mona lisa
reissues is like having a remake of mona lisa
vinyl bootlegs is like having a fake, but quality, handpaint from the prototype, poster of mona lisa
cd bootles is like having a fake, bad quality photocopy of the original painting. Some times it is even whorse, when bootleg cd is a bad quality photocopy of a bad quality photocopy
mp3s is like having a high definition mona lisa wallpaper "
Quote by Vasilis2112

I do not really demonize reissues as evil, but a nessecary evil. Let's look at something like Trouble's "Psalm 9". After the original vinyl and cassette pressing and the CD Age happened for whatever reason. VINYL is superior over cassette and Compact Disc, but I never got into Compact Disc to replace vinyl, I just had tons of bad luck with cassettes. But when Trouble's "Psalm 9" got put on CD by Metal Blade/ Restless in 1988, that one retired my first pressing runs. Then Music For Nations/ Metal Blade did a 2 for 1 with the Skull, and that one replaced the Metal Blade / Restless pressing. Then Warner Bros/ Metal Blade did another version in 1991, and that one replace the previous edition, and recently Escapi did a version with a DVD and that one replaced the previous 6 editions.

I always look for the Metal Blade/ Restless CD, but if the Warner Bros edition shows up in my second hand store, I will always grab that one also.

My favorite top 200 classic titles, are ones I always try to get new back up copies of, in 1st or 2nd pressings. It may seem silly to some casual metal fan, to have say 30 copies of Satan's "Court in the Act" scattered all over the house but if my Metal Mind/ RoadrunneR Gold disc, or the Neat Metal one, develop skips, I have the RoadrunneR/ FEMS as the back up to the back up. But when I do my yearly re-hunts of my favorite classic titles, if some casual metal collector, is selling his RoadrunneR/ Fems pressing of Satan's "Court in the Act". I for sure want to make sure to have a back up copy of something that classic.

My thing with the CD bootleg goes something like this, I like this band called Halloween and there album called "Don't Metal With Evil". They sound like a amped up Motley Crue with some Judas Pries thrown in. They have this visual and lyrical gimmick that is something like a male version of Elvira Cassandra Peterson. Every day is Halloween, ha.

I remember always getting that on LP and cassette for, on hours or 2 hour pay, then I started to see the first and second pressings hijacked for a half-a-days pay, then it got to greedy, for a days pay. Then I would see the CD pressing (Reborn Classics then later Lound N Proud distro) for one hours pay, so I went with that untill the cost of the cassette, came down to reasonable prices.

I remember seeing Angel Dust "Into the Dark Past" on CD when I first saw it on ebay when I first joined up for that. I saw the first version on CD for $300, the second one on CD for $200, and some company was selling the "3rd Pressing" aka the bootleg for $13.00. I know the economic laws of scarcity, would dictate, that the 3rd one is a bootleg, but since I have the record rated pretty high in my favorite top 200, classics of the golden era of traditional heavy metal. I always need a couple of copies of that CD at all cost. So I went with 2 copies for $ 13.00.

I do agree with the idea, to always have the most original pressing possible, but I learned to make the albums I want come to me, instead of force f***ing everything that is essential, into my collection. Trust me, there is always some casual rock fan, racing his Exciter "Heavy Metal Maniac", on Caroline/ Megaforce to the second hand store, for no reason other, than he can not wrap his brain around the history of heavy metal.
daniel

Post by daniel »

I'm sorry, I don't understand why you would, as it seems, forever keep buying more copies of the same records... Did I miss something, not meant as an insult but it sounds a bit obsessive compulsive.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

big mouth wrote:Don't worry boys.. you're gonna get a HUGE WITCH CROSS official vinyl release with REAL rareties in months to come..... that will be a change from cheap made stuff.
Vinyl release only, again? :( I thought it warrants a proper reissue treatment on CD since the existing CD reissue (from Keltic) is really a shoddily made product. The sound on the Keltic version is so fuck up that I'd to find a LP-ripped mp3 version on internet (I have the original LP but I just don't the equipment to rip it to my ipod).
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

big mouth wrote:
That's a cool choice but if you donb't get the one to be released you're gonna miss tons of never heard before material.... :lol:
Sometimes "exclusive bonus tracks" are better to be never heard and they're here just to add an "exclusivity" on the record. That's what I call marketing BUT... I will download them and if it's absolutely killer, I know where to buy it haha.

J.K.

Post by J.K. »

mega_lodon wrote:
big mouth wrote:Don't worry boys.. you're gonna get a HUGE WITCH CROSS official vinyl release with REAL rareties in months to come..... that will be a change from cheap made stuff.
Vinyl release only, again? :( I thought it warrants a proper reissue treatment on CD since the existing CD reissue (from Keltic) is really a shoddily made product. The sound on the Keltic version is so fuck up that I'd to find a LP-ripped mp3 version on internet (I have the original LP but I just don't the equipment to rip it to my ipod).
The sound on the Old Metal CD version is very good.

mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

J.K. wrote: The sound on the Old Metal CD version is very good.
You don't say. Most of the Old Metal CDs that I've heard have real shitty sound. Maltese Falcon is another good example. Well, Witch Cross could be an exception, I don't know.
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

daniel wrote:I'm sorry, I don't understand why you would, as it seems, forever keep buying more copies of the same records... Did I miss something, not meant as an insult but it sounds a bit obsessive compulsive.
It is just collectors' compltism, we all do it. Some buy newer copies, someothers look for various old pressings.
I have 10 vinyl pressins of mercyfull fate melissa, none is worn out to need replacement, but when I want to listen to it, I use to 1997 cd reissue.
It is just stupid, it has nothing to o with music, but that's how we like it!!! :D
DeathMetalWeenie

"I'm sorry, I don't understand why you would, as it seems, forever keep buying more copies of the same records... Did I miss something, not meant as an insult but it sounds a bit obsessive compulsive." Quote by Daniel

During the vinyl era every Sunday I would make back up copies of my favorite albums, but when I started buying CD's in 1999, i went with the idea of having beater copies of my favorite 200 albums or so, and when I beat to death the "beater" copy, I would just get another beater copy, then it 2003 or so I go a CD-R machine, and just kept making back-up copies, but the CD-R's are pretty unstable, reminded me of who bad cassettes were.

So I went back to getting back-up copies of my favorites on CD again. Some of my favorite albums I play non- stop, the ones where there is enough originality, enough for the bands to have there own sound, tons of razor sharp riffing, and tons of intricate songwriting.

But when IPODS happened, I would see people with pillow cases and boxes of CD's going back to the second hand store, and once in a blue moon I would see stuff like early Metal Blade, early Megaforce, early Combat, early Noise, and early Music for Nations CD product, you know the vintage era of independant label heavy metal. I would ask "oh who died? a father?, the cool older bro. or a favorite uncle?", but they would be like "oh I transfered everything to my IPOD and I am sticking with that".

I do have back up copies in a second location and 3rd locations, in case of something bad happening, aka robbery or a tragic house fire or whatever. So If I had to start from my collection from scratch, I will rebuilt, while having the top 200 or so titles, that have shaped my taste in heavy metal.

I suffered a really bad flood in 1999, and lost tons of items mostly fanzines, but by pure luck, I had a $20.00 a month storage unit with tons of back up CD's, and fuck yeah, it was pure joy to snag out of that storage locker a back up copy of Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction"

Everything I buy I intend, to use through out my life time, so I am not hording or whatever for a profit motive, I am just hunting all that stuff down, because as I get older, it seems that alot of people read stuff like the corroseum, and Snakepit Magazine, but when it comes time to identifying, 80's metal fans, favorite 100 essential albums and 100 original but not to influental albums and 100 cult favorite bands that were eccentric/ quirky. It is just to bad the really average and casual rocker, really misses the boat on heavy metal, and when they go from rockers to metal fans, alot of misinformation happens on the web. Really just be honest with yourself one day, and really thing hard about the true leaders of the metal genre, and which bands were the ones who reaped rewards from the innovations of other. And made a good record or two, until they ran out of other peoples ideas.

Think of all the times your in a second hand store and some grunge rock is looking at that 2nd or 3rd pressing of Razor's " Evil Invaders", you were a metal fan back in 1980 until now, you know it is pretty awesome, and the kid pulls out his heavy metal bible, a collector's guide to heavy metal, and looks at you, and goes "hey that got a 4 out of 10, from the guy who loves the band Korn", they think they really dodged a bullet. Hell of hell's this metal newbie, also passes on Satan's "Court in the act" because it got a 3 out of 10 in that very same collectors book on heavy metal. Even though you know it was a top 10 album for 1983.

So yeah for whatever reason when some one fucks up, when cleaning out their music collection, I will always capitalize on that total error in judgement, because not every so called rare and hard to find CD can be taking hostage for a huge profit. My local second hand record shop, those dudes really hate heavy metal, so he treats every classic title as another $6.97, he is going to resale.

Greshams law states something like the reissuse, makes the first pressing worth more money, but lets look at Anthrax's "Fistful of Metal", I have the Original Megaforce/ Important Pressing, the Original Music For Nations Pressing, and the Megaforce/ Caroline repressing stateside. So I use the Caroline pressing as my "beater" copy, and when I see the Megaforce/ Caroline, I will always snag it up, everytime. Because I know some kid looked at it and thought "pppfffftttt third pressing, total garbage, i shall pass on that, i will wait for the original edition"

I just used Greshams law to my advantage, I get second pressing to have the music to enjoy, until the 1st pressing shows up, and I get the second pressing, to retire my first pressing. I Just made a top 15 of my favorite albums of every year from 1980 until say 1993, and give that stuff more attention, the the rest of the music collection. Instead of having the fetish for collecting only first pressing. I decided the music of the classic album, is more important than which label it was on.

I do not buy 2 copies of everything, I own, I only buy mulitple copies of the albums, that stood the test of time.

So if something bad happens again like a flood or whatever, I will once again, snag out of a storage locker another copy, of Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction", and I will not first reach for the MetalCore Pressing or the Metal Blade/ Caroline Pressing, but I will reach first for the NO POSERS RECORD pressing of this on CD, because for some strange reason, a bootlegger had enough common sense to use the real original artwork, for the CD booklet; while MetalCore and Metal Blade, gave us some shitty reissuses with those strange artworks i never really cared for. The bootlegger added the 1983 "Tyrant" EP for bonus tracks. While it probably never occured to Metal Blade or MetalCore to do such a thing, since they probably just added that title to there catalogue, in a half hearted way.
DeathMetalWeenie

"I'm sorry, I don't understand why you would, as it seems, forever keep buying more copies of the same records... Did I miss something, not meant as an insult but it sounds a bit obsessive compulsive." Quote by Daniel

During the vinyl era every Sunday I would make back up copies of my favorite albums, but when I started buying CD's in 1999, i went with the idea of having beater copies of my favorite 200 albums or so, and when I beat to death the "beater" copy, I would just get another beater copy, then it 2003 or so I go a CD-R machine, and just kept making back-up copies, but the CD-R's are pretty unstable, reminded me of who bad cassettes were.

So I went back to getting back-up copies of my favorites on CD again. Some of my favorite albums I play non- stop, the ones where there is enough originality, enough for the bands to have there own sound, tons of razor sharp riffing, and tons of intricate songwriting.

But when IPODS happened, I would see people with pillow cases and boxes of CD's going back to the second hand store, and once in a blue moon I would see stuff like early Metal Blade, early Megaforce, early Combat, early Noise, and early Music for Nations CD product, you know the vintage era of independant label heavy metal. I would ask "oh who died? a father?, the cool older bro. or a favorite uncle?", but they would be like "oh I transfered everything to my IPOD and I am sticking with that".

I do have back up copies in a second location and 3rd locations, in case of something bad happening, aka robbery or a tragic house fire or whatever. So If I had to start from my collection from scratch, I will rebuilt, while having the top 200 or so titles, that have shaped my taste in heavy metal.

I suffered a really bad flood in 1999, and lost tons of items mostly fanzines, but by pure luck, I had a $20.00 a month storage unit with tons of back up CD's, and fuck yeah, it was pure joy to snag out of that storage locker a back up copy of Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction"

Everything I buy I intend, to use through out my life time, so I am not hording or whatever for a profit motive, I am just hunting all that stuff down, because as I get older, it seems that alot of people read stuff like the corroseum, and Snakepit Magazine, but when it comes time to identifying, 80's metal fans, favorite 100 essential albums and 100 original but not to influental albums and 100 cult favorite bands that were eccentric/ quirky. It is just to bad the really average and casual rocker, really misses the boat on heavy metal, and when they go from rockers to metal fans, alot of misinformation happens on the web. Really just be honest with yourself one day, and really thing hard about the true leaders of the metal genre, and which bands were the ones who reaped rewards from the innovations of other. And made a good record or two, until they ran out of other peoples ideas.

Think of all the times your in a second hand store and some grunge rock is looking at that 2nd or 3rd pressing of Razor's " Evil Invaders", you were a metal fan back in 1980 until now, you know it is pretty awesome, and the kid pulls out his heavy metal bible, a collector's guide to heavy metal, and looks at you, and goes "hey that got a 4 out of 10, from the guy who loves the band Korn", they think they really dodged a bullet. Hell of hell's this metal newbie, also passes on Satan's "Court in the act" because it got a 3 out of 10 in that very same collectors book on heavy metal. Even though you know it was a top 10 album for 1983.

So yeah for whatever reason when some one fucks up, when cleaning out their music collection, I will always capitalize on that total error in judgement, because not every so called rare and hard to find CD can be taking hostage for a huge profit. My local second hand record shop, those dudes really hate heavy metal, so he treats every classic title as another $6.97, he is going to resale.

Greshams law states something like the reissuse, makes the first pressing worth more money, but lets look at Anthrax's "Fistful of Metal", I have the Original Megaforce/ Important Pressing, the Original Music For Nations Pressing, and the Megaforce/ Caroline repressing stateside. So I use the Caroline pressing as my "beater" copy, and when I see the Megaforce/ Caroline, I will always snag it up, everytime. Because I know some kid looked at it and thought "pppfffftttt third pressing, total garbage, i shall pass on that, i will wait for the original edition"

I just used Greshams law to my advantage, I get second pressing to have the music to enjoy, until the 1st pressing shows up, and I get the second pressing, to retire my first pressing. I Just made a top 15 of my favorite albums of every year from 1980 until say 1993, and give that stuff more attention, the the rest of the music collection. Instead of having the fetish for collecting only first pressing. I decided the music of the classic album, is more important than which label it was on.

I do not buy 2 copies of everything, I own, I only buy mulitple copies of the albums, that stood the test of time.

So if something bad happens again like a flood or whatever, I will once again, snag out of a storage locker another copy, of Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction", and I will not first reach for the MetalCore Pressing or the Metal Blade/ Caroline Pressing, but I will reach first for the NO POSERS RECORD pressing of this on CD, because for some strange reason, a bootlegger had enough common sense to use the real original artwork, for the CD booklet; while MetalCore and Metal Blade, gave us some shitty reissuses with those strange artworks i never really cared for. The bootlegger added the 1983 "Tyrant" EP for bonus tracks. While it probably never occured to Metal Blade or MetalCore to do such a thing, since they probably just added that title to their catalogue, in a half hearted way.
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

Man, that’s one long-winded post. Looks kinda interesting but it is just too long; I couldn’t even get pass the 3rd paragraph. :)
You might wanna consider cutting short your post a bit to get your point across. No offence, just a suggestion. :wink:
DeathMetalWeenie

"Man, that’s one long-winded post. Looks kinda interesting but it is just too long; I couldn’t even get pass the 3rd paragraph.
You might wanna consider cutting short your post a bit to get your point across. No offence, just a suggestion. " Quote by Mega_London
Sorry about that, The short of it is in 1999, at my summer home, it suffered a bad flood, and I lost tons of killer albums, cassettes, and fanzines. But I had a storage locker, with back-ups with all the classics I discovered through Kick*Ass Montly, Metal Rendevous, and Metal Forces. And one I really was pleased to have backed up on Metal Blade and Metalcore was Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction". But 12 years later, I have all those and the bootleg one from the "label" No Posers Records. If disaster ever hits again, I will not "lose" anything. When I work I work 14 hours a day for 6 days a week, so when I get new releases, I always look for the vintage-era of heavy metal essentials, the top 150 favorite albums, from the bands that were influental/ classic/ cult/ eccentric and REALLY different and original.

I know their is a school of collector thinking where one thinks reissues are crap, but their is this idea from something called Greshams Law, which state the 1st pressing gets jacked up in price because of the 2nd edition, which causes hording of the real deal. But since I am just a average worker, I make $13.00/ Hr as a chainsaw operator, so I can not always get the pressing I want when I want, but I noticed if I am not to picky and get 2nd pressings of essential albums, just over time, the 1st pressing will always end up in my collection. Through sheer pure good luck, and knowing the over-hyped from the bands whos music you can actually remember, after 3 weeks of listening to their music no stop.

Look at something like Exciter's Heavy Metal Maniac, I got the Megaforce/ Caroline Pressing, (which is missing 2 songs, so you always have to be on the look out for the cassette and vinyl edition), Then RoadrunneR/ SPV butchered the fuck out it and make some cheap Pricekillers, crappy edition. Then Old Metal Records did a Version, with a bonus track which is a bit better than RoadrunneR, but not really that difficult in the first place, then Megaforce through ADA did a repress in 1999. But the Old Metal Versions, just retired the earlier pressings. When the Old Metal one goes bad (skips) I have 3 back up copies, and back ups of the back ups. So yeah, I do want Exciter's "Heavy Metal Maniac" to be done correct as a CD, in the future, instead of just treating it as "just another CD" on such and such label. I would like to see "Heavy Metal Maniac" done like Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets", when Elektra and DCC did those reissuses in 2001, (GOLD DISC, the highest quality insert booklet and MOLTEN METAL sound, courtesy of Steve Hoffman)

A act of god, can hit my house, but I have a back-up plan, in place for such a bad thing. Because I always had a back-up plan, in place since 1999, without even realizing it.

It is just total bullshit, when the bootleg blows away the legal edition, in terms of quailty of sound, better choice in bonus track selection and is truer to the asethetics of the original edition. Labels need to look at what Denis Gulby does over at Sentinel Steel records for his reissuses.

truemetal.org/snakepit !!
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

Metal is not about money some people must understand this.
Get a job if you want money.
Having a band is not a job.When people will realize it? :evil: