BOOTLEGS VS MP3

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

J.K. wrote:Also, sometimes it's just hard to determine if it's legit or not.

For example many labels claims that their stuff are OFFICIAL/BAND APPROVED.

You buy it.

And 3 months later, the band make a statement like "we have never been told of that reissue", etc.

That was the case with Master's Hammer reissue on NWN! (I didn't buy them),
The Master's Hammer on NWN is official.
Long Live The Loud !!!
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Well, not according to Master's Hammer.

"October 11, 2009:
As you surely know, we have no new releases after 1995, some links below may not work due to dispersed activities of former band members.

The bad news is that we've recently encountered several illegal and bootlegged releases of our old records, such as this, this and that. Our concern is not only the copyright issue, but above all deceiving of our faithful fans by those demanding money for unauthorised records and merchandises. First, we'd never use such awful colour combination and tasteless decoration; second, the song titles, lyrics and other printed informations contain factual mistakes; third, the sound quality is worse than original.

The good news is that Master's Hammer is now in studio working on a new album after 14 years.

We'll be back soon.

Franta, Vlasta, Necrocock, Monster and Silenthell."

Anyway NWN! reissue many obscure bands and I seriously doubt that he manages to get in touch each time with the artist or owner of the rights.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

The Sentinel wrote: The Master's Hammer on NWN is official.
Fail ^^
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

yeah, but it seemed that things had been sorted out some time ago. It's somewhere on the NWN board.
Long Live The Loud !!!
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

J.K. wrote:Well, not according to Master's Hammer.

"October 11, 2009:
As you surely know, we have no new releases after 1995, some links below may not work due to dispersed activities of former band members.

The bad news is that we've recently encountered several illegal and bootlegged releases of our old records, such as this, this and that. Our concern is not only the copyright issue, but above all deceiving of our faithful fans by those demanding money for unauthorised records and merchandises. First, we'd never use such awful colour combination and tasteless decoration; second, the song titles, lyrics and other printed informations contain factual mistakes; third, the sound quality is worse than original.

The good news is that Master's Hammer is now in studio working on a new album after 14 years.

We'll be back soon.

Anyway NWN! reissue many obscure bands and I seriously doubt that he manages to get in touch each time with the artist or owner of the rights.
we had that discussion here before long time ago

anyway,its the best looking motherfuker boot i own :lol:
Keir

Post by Keir »

As a rule I never buy bootlegs (though I have been duped 2 or 3 times). The mp3 debate will go on for eternity but selling bootlegs is wrong, plain and simple.
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

Ha bootlegs, I like alot of the metal from the pre-CD era, James Chi/ Kreator 72 on ebay, had this list of the top 100 most bootleged CD's. But that is the era that I love, and quite honestly, to many stupid bands, labels and distros.

Let there stuff go out of print, and cassettes really suck hard, so I have alot of those CD bootlegs, because I have a major hatred for cassettes, I have always had bad luck with cassettes, dating back to 1981, remember those crappy Harvest/ Capitol Iron Maiden cassettes where the printing would wear off in a months time.

I usually get a bootleg, because the labels can not see the forest from the trees, the really influental artist from the copy-cats. Titles like Slaugher's "Strappado".

I was really mortified by what Reborn Classics did in 1992, but bloody hell that "label" had a 7 or 8 year jump, on the Major Metal label bosses.
Think Abattoir "Vicious" attack, Reborn Classic 1992 and Century Media in 1999 arrghhh man.

Tiltes Like Dark Age "Dark Age" on Gnarly Records, you going to need to get the Roadrunner Pressing, the Gnarly Records Pressing, the Gnarly Records Picture Disc, and the Gnarly Records. And since the distroubtion network Greenworld went bankrupt in mid-1986, I do not forsee this being pressed offically ever. So I have to get the cassette or the bootleg CD.

Maybe one day this will be pressed as a 2 on 1 CD, the Roadrunner Version with the Gnarly/ Greenwrold pressing.

One thing that really pisses me off is when the real reissuse is crappier/ cheapier than the bootleg.

It is a crazy world we live in when Old Metal records has enough smarts to release Witchcross's " Fit For Fight" on CD, but every Major Metal label, would pass on this title.

Bootlegs would not be a neccessary evil, if record label bosses knew what metal fans really want to list to. I want on CD everything I had on vinyl and cassette, from 1979-1986.

I feel every label has given up on those of us who started with heavy metal in 1979/1980/1981, because they think we are deceased, outdated, domesticated, or outright turned our backs on our era. I started with heavy metal in 6th grade in 1980, and now am 43, and Snakepit Magazine and The Corroseum is a GODSEND !!!!!

Oh yeah, I love when people put their record collections on CD-r and MP3's, and take those legendary and out of print titles to the second hand store, and think the IPOD will last for ever and one day. I always knew when I got duplicate copies of Anthrax "Fistful of Metal" on Megaforce/ Important or Athiest "Piece of Time" on Active/ Music for Nations. I knew it was because crazy bastards would put stuff like that on there IPODS, and use the original CD, as a disposable item. I really benefited alot from all that IPOD / MP3 stupidity of others.

When alot of my drinking buddies got all domesticated and sold out of metal, I did not question there motives for selling out, trust me, they had tons of stuff in the record/ CD collection, that I needed back up copies of.

As far as myself concerning mp's and cdr's, I would rather buy 2 CD's of somthing I listen to (one CD as a "Beater" copy), instead of putting it on CD'r and MP3. I am against IPODS, mp3's and CDR's.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Interesting to hear your thoughts man :)

As far as labels not understanding to reissue certain records, well one reason is that it is not always even possible to secure the legal rights for a reissue, nor contact the band members...

MP3s/CD-Rs etc., myself, I only started using an MP3-player last year, and that was because my Walkman packed in, and I could not find another one, I'd tried my then girlfriend's MP3-player, and it was way easier, for carrying around lots of music at once, for going jogging with, everything really. I never thought I'd switch but I did. Don't see anything bad with it either.

I'm also a crappy 'buyer', since I go for vinyls first and foremost, so CD reissues don't much interest me anyway. I'd rather have the real deal on vinyl at home to take out when I want, and just listen to an MP3 of the music when out and about, because I do not drive a car, and jogging/cycling/skating with a portable CD-player sucks, I've tried it ;)
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

daniel wrote:I'd tried my then girlfriend's MP3-player, and it was way easier, for carrying around lots of music at once, for going jogging with, everything really. I never thought I'd switch but I did. Don't see anything bad with it either.
Exactly. There's no way I'd ever go back to carrying around a case of tapes or a big book of CDs when I can have 100x as much music in the palm of my hand. And provided you're using a higher bitrate than 192, you're not going to notice a major difference in sound quality when you're in a car or out and about. Physical media at home, But I listen to a ton of music when I'm not at home so I've fully embraced this MP3 player thing.

I don't care for bootlegs, much of the time I'd rather just have MP3s than waste money on a shoddy product. I buy them sometimes for stuff I really love and know I'll never be willing/able to purchase an original.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

DeathMetalWeenie wrote:
It is a crazy world we live in when Old Metal records has enough smarts to release Witchcross's " Fit For Fight" on CD, but every Major Metal label, would pass on this title.
Must be agree with you when you say the label don't see/know what's worth re-releasing...

As for the WITCHCROSS CD, I got it, I didn't know it was a bootleg when ordered it, but when I get my hands on it, it was pretty clear. Such a crappy thing... I do not understand when they make a bootleg and they do not give the lyrics/recording infos/line-up... It's really simple but I got several bootlegs (like Heavy Load) where they just don't put anything than the cover... It pisses me off. So if it's just for the music and crappy cover, better to gt a CD-R :?

Eon

Post by Eon »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
J.K. wrote:Well, not according to Master's Hammer.

"October 11, 2009:

We'll be back soon.

we had that discussion here before long time ago

anyway,its the best looking motherfuker boot i own :lol:
The issue between MH and NWN has been solved a long time ago. It was the band who considered it a bootleg, as they wasn't involved with it at all. Contractwise, NWN got the rights to that release from osmose, who still owns the righs to those 2 albums. Anyway, it's been solved. It's not a bootleg.
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Don't worry boys.. you're gonna get a HUGE WITCH CROSS official vinyl release with REAL rareties in months to come..... that will be a change from cheap made stuff.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Fit For Fight was reissued on LP by Hell's Headbangers some month ago, don't know if is was official.

vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

for me, it is:
having original pressings (mainly vinyl) is like having original leonardo da vinci's mona lisa
reissues is like having a remake of mona lisa
vinyl bootlegs is like having a fake, but quality, handpaint from the prototype, poster of mona lisa
cd bootles is like having a fake, bad quality photocopy of the original painting. Some times it is even whorse, when bootleg cd is a bad quality photocopy of a bad quality photocopy
mp3s is like having a high definition mona lisa wallpaper

I am always looking for the original but I try to buy as much reissues as I can, so I can help the band (i dont give a shit about labels buy I respect some labels for beeing honest, but in fact those are not "companies", they are true fans that would pay from their own pokets for a qualliry reissue. we all know who they are, most of them are subscribed to this forum)

Regarding bootlegs in comparison to mp3s.
I don't hate vinyl bootlegs. vinyl is art by itself. I would buy a vinyl bootleg if it comes in a beautiful vinyl (color vinyl, pic. disc, alternate covers).
I simply hate bootleg cds, even though I have a lot of them. I do not know why I buy them. Each time I buy a bootleg cd, I regret it, but I am sure I will do it again. Maybe I get carried away by my desire to own everything. Maybe I am young and naive and I will learn when I grow up!! xaxaxaxa It is like buying cdrs with bad quality and a seems-to-be-real layout. We shouldn't pay for such things!
I like mp3s, there are easy! You can listen them, almost anywhere you are! And you don't have to get up every 20minutes to turn side of the record! (vinyl is a little tiring in our days, but still way best format). I have mp3s of almost everything I have in vinyl or cd. Besides, you can listen to every kind of music you want for free. I am also listening to punk, reggae, dub and other kinds of music, that I do not want to spend money for them (I spend all my money for rock and metal records! ok, and drugs too, you got me there! xaxaxa), so mp3s is an excellent way to listen and spread music! The best propaganda for music. And that is the reason why major labels are against mp3s and free downloading. They do not want us to discover new staff and find what we really like. They just want us to buy every lady gaga retard shit they are trying to sell us (i still like2-3 lady gaga songs :oops: )

Everybody has the right to listen to everything! Let us, completists (strange people) buy old vinyls and cds, but music should be heard by everybody.

I can write more and more, but that is already too much, those are my thoughts on the subject (and a little wider), I hope you understand my points.
My english is not the best, sorry for this!
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Fit For Fight was reissued on LP by Hell's Headbangers some month ago, don't know if is was official.
To this day it hasn't been releasd yet and it will be official.