Recent Metal finds (2011)

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
CloudsOfMetal

Post by CloudsOfMetal »

ION BRITTON wrote:There's nothing cult about Wheelz of Steel. The fact that few people know them here in this and two other forums doesn't make them cult. Also there's no point in trying to prove that their music is not technically flawless, we all know that and I don't remember anyone ever saying the opposite. But it's either you dig this thing or you don't, there's no in-between on this case. We obviously enjoy Wheelz of Steel and Killer Fox and Thrash Queen for different reasons than the ones we enjoy Iron Maiden for. Personally I'd rather spend my time tracking down the very last band of the Metal Enterprises catalogue rather than hunt an unknown shitty 90s thrash CD only band. To each his own, like perishinflames said.
I love collecting and listening to releases of crappy metal bands regardless were they shitty 90's thrash or odd 80's "hard rock". If it's hilarious it's even better. By the way one of my friends almost choked when he heard some Killer Fox and I don't think he could handle Kuster. :lol:
only the heaviest weather available
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

tomas wrote: It's not because someone can play, that the music they make is good
I agree. Check Yngwie Malmsteem for instance. He's a very a talented guitarist but an average songwriter.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Well, replace "cult" with "obscure" and you get the point...

Do people actually enjoy listening to shit like Killer Fox, Kuster, and Wheelz Of Steel?

I was always under the impression that it's of the "point and laugh" variety and other then that has no musical merit at all.

If you actually like this garbage then the subject that we've discussed here many times would apply, obscurity over quality.

Regarding mid 90's + Thrash albums, I would agree.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Quality in music = subjective.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

BATHORY: Nordland I and II LP's

First one sounds ok, the second one sounds like shit, beware.
Long Live The Loud !!!
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Both of these should be 2LPs. WAY too long to be pressed on single albums.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

ION BRITTON wrote:Quality in music = subjective.
Not when it comes to musicianship.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Avenger wrote:
Yes, it is. See prior Malmsteen/Vai/Satriani vs. Venom argument. While technically quite talented, these wankers cannot produce interesting music.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

When you say 'obscurity over quality' which quality do you mean then?

If good music to you means something that is technically good and good musicanship then I have nothing to argue about. However this is not how everybody else is listening to music. Good musicianship don't mean shit to me if the musician can't right half a decent song. Decent = something that sounds good to MY ears. It's quite pointless trying to convince any serious listener that something that sounds like shit to you must sound the same to all the others as well.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Bought in Budapest and Bratislava:
SKRAMASAX - Dark Powers LP
TITANIC - Abel LP
TUBLATANKA - Skúsime to cez vesmír LP
KRYPTOR - Time 4 Crime LP
LORD - Ragadozók LP
LORD - 3 LP
Pokolgep - Adj új erőt CD
MOBY DICK - Ugass Kutya! CD
RHABSTALLION - Day to Day CD
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

perishinflames wrote: Yes, it is. See prior Malmsteen/Vai/Satriani vs. Venom argument. While technically quite talented, these wankers cannot produce interesting music.
Vai and Satriani are boring, that's right, but Malmsteen has written some classic tunes in the 80s, that's why I love his music and guitarplaying so much.

By the way, I'm of the opinion that this discussion should be split from the actual topic...
See the flash of lightning cutting the edge of steel!
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

perishinflames wrote:
Avenger wrote:
Yes, it is. See prior Malmsteen/Vai/Satriani vs. Venom argument. While technically quite talented, these wankers cannot produce interesting music.
You don't really want to put Vai/Malmsteen/Satriani on the same musical level like the mentioned Metal Enterprises bands????
That crappy Wheels of Steel LP was sold months ago without a cover for about 200 $. I don't know if this the right musical value/price relation. If someone bought such a record (or a Vaughn 12" :lol: ) for such a price he should at least have the balls to let the world know it's garbage that noone ever is forced to do the same insanity and paying a fortune for something that his kids can produce in the basement for free. :twisted:
Live your life by your will, learn to be an animal ...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

perishinflames wrote:
Avenger wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:When you say 'obscurity over quality' which quality do you mean then?

If good music to you means something that is technically good and good musicanship then I have nothing to argue about. However this is not how everybody else is listening to music. Good musicianship don't mean shit to me if the musician can't right half a decent song. Decent = something that sounds good to MY ears. It's quite pointless trying to convince any serious listener that something that sounds like shit to you must sound the same to all the others as well.
No one can honestly say that Wheelz Of Steel is quality music. Even if you take it down as far as to base "quality" on simply just song writing/structures, the band still fails. You guys have no basis for an argument here. I'm not saying that quality is determined upon all members of a band being virtuosos but the band has to at least be competent in they're abilities. Again, Wheelz Of Steel fails here. I’ll go back to my garbage can comparison. Just because someone is willing to pay money for something doesn’t mean it’s worth the price. This is just a case of wanting to own something rare regardless what it sounds like.
tomas

Post by tomas »

People just look for different things in music. For some people it's all about riffs, for other people it's all about heavy sounds, while others look for honesty and realness. Someone who appreciates honesty and realness, will find a lot of it in Wheelz Of Steel.

But you're right, it's not because someone is willing to pay a lot of money for a record, that the record becomes good. But you also have to take this into account: it's not because a band doesn't write what you refer to as a 'song', that the band is bad. I wonder how you would rate this for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzZKV7os ... re=related

By the way, at least quality in spelling is objective:
"be competent in THEIR abilities." (yeah I know, cheap shot ... :lol: )
But does it slay witches?
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

tomas wrote:Someone who appreciates honesty and realness, will find a lot of it in Wheelz Of Steel.
If you really want to hear emotion transcending competence, you'd be better off with Kenneth Higney's Attic Demonstration. You don't have to pay triple figures for that one anymore either. Was fun to hear W of S at last tho'. I'm just glad I didn't pay for it.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."