How To Track a Band?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

There's just one band I have contacted and asked for records.Its Lithuanian band VOLIS.I've bought all remaining copies of LP.But sometimes I just love to browse and just search for unknown bands.There's hundred pages like This One and for me its just pleasure to know some new names.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I must have said the wrong thing to one of the Bishop Steel band members a few years ago when we were exchanging emails, because he stopped talking to me immediately when I made a criticism of a couple of their old songs he sent me samples of. Their old stuff is nothing like the MLP. So that is the other side of the story, you never can quite know what might piss someone off, hah!
nightsblood wrote:
It is interesting that several people have mentioned finding old bands who gave them material but made them promise never to share it. Seems kind of odd: "here, you can check this stuff out... but don't let anyone else check this stuff out". One possibility is that the person doesn't handle criticism well, so they're ok letting a dedicated fan that tracked them down hear stuff, but they can't stomach the idea of YouTube comment saying, "eh, these guys should have stayed Lost". Could be a result of harsh critics back in the day that the band member feels cost them their big shot. I dunno... anyone with more insight on this?
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I've tried using both the regular catalog + SONIC at the Library of Congress, but none of the recordings I've put in have yielded any results. Is these catalogs the correct ones to use? If not, a link would be helpful.
tomas

Post by tomas »

Me and a friend have plans of putting together a compilation LP of unknown Belgian heavy rock/psych singles from the late 60s and early 70s, which means we are going to have to track down a lot of bands. Is there a manual on how to do this as efficiently as possible? :)
In other words: do the record dealers on this forum have any advice to share?
But does it slay witches?
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

this link you are using?

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebre ... PAGE=First
Khnud wrote:I've tried using both the regular catalog + SONIC at the Library of Congress, but none of the recordings I've put in have yielded any results. Is these catalogs the correct ones to use? If not, a link would be helpful.