Best Zines These Days

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Metal Dan

Best Zines These Days

Post by Metal Dan »

What are some of your favourite zines going these days? I'm also on the hunt for them right now. Good quality stuff like Isten, Slayer Mag, or Chromium Dioxide from Canada.

http://www.chromiumdioxide.com/
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

There really isn't anything topping Snakepit, is there? I'm not a fervent zine-reader, but this one is the only one I pick up nowdays and I can't imagine there's anything better for us reactionary, stuck-in-the-past, Real Metal™ fans out there. Your countrywoman Satannick's "Morbid Tales" looks awesome too, but I'm embarrased to say I haven't ordered a copy of the last issue yet :oops:
daniel

Post by daniel »

Metal Dan and 'Dan' battle it out! Epic!

Yes 'Real Metal' should be TM:d :D
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Phil

Chromium Dioxide zine

Post by Phil »

Hey Dan. Fuckin' love the site. Let me know if you'd like to take a look at our zine here from Canada. I'll throw in the first 3 in the mail to you if you're interested.
"I've neither credentials nor a fancy title, but I'm alright to talk to."
DaN
Administructor

Re: Chromium Dioxide zine

Post by DaN »

Phil wrote:Hey Dan. Fuckin' love the site. Let me know if you'd like to take a look at our zine here from Canada. I'll throw in the first 3 in the mail to you if you're interested.
Huh? Which Dan? Ljiljanic or Edman? Personally I'm always interested in checking out "new" obscure printed Metal matter.. :)
(dunno what I could offer in return tho'..)
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

morbid tales is great! i just got around to listening to the mix cd that came with the most recent issue, and i can't believe that i've slept on soothsayer and trop feross for this long. totally steamrolled by both bands
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

khiijol wrote:morbid tales is great! i just got around to listening to the mix cd that came with the most recent issue, and i can't believe that i've slept on soothsayer and trop feross for this long. totally steamrolled by both bands
Which TROP FEROSS song is on the CD? Something from the MLP or a "new" track?
msp

Post by msp »

There are a few really good DM/BM one's about at the moment such us ANCIENT SPIRIT TERROR, MYSTICAL MUSIC, HELLPIKE, THRASH ATTACK etc. but I suppose it is not what most on here would be interested in. Of course there is a new SLAYER mag coming out soon which is always good.

Obviously Snakepit is one of the best out there. It is good that Shadow Kingdom is reprinting #1 onwards again for those of us that missed them the first time.
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Phil

Re: Chromium Dioxide zine

Post by Phil »

DaN wrote:
Phil wrote:Hey Dan. Fuckin' love the site. Let me know if you'd like to take a look at our zine here from Canada. I'll throw in the first 3 in the mail to you if you're interested.
Huh? Which Dan? Ljiljanic or Edman? Personally I'm always interested in checking out "new" obscure printed Metal matter.. :)
(dunno what I could offer in return tho'..)
send me an e-mail with an address and I'll ship 'em off to you.
"I've neither credentials nor a fancy title, but I'm alright to talk to."
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

DaN wrote:
khiijol wrote:morbid tales is great! i just got around to listening to the mix cd that came with the most recent issue, and i can't believe that i've slept on soothsayer and trop feross for this long. totally steamrolled by both bands
Which TROP FEROSS song is on the CD? Something from the MLP or a "new" track?
one of the tracks from the MLP - one of those recordings that just happened to fly under my radar until now for whatever unknown reason as that kind of music is right up my alley
Louise

Post by Louise »

I love the illustrations in Chromium D. I'm reading issue #3 right now. Philthy - You're my hero
Ra Pariah

Post by Ra Pariah »

I like very much "On the March" paperzine which comes from Thessaloniki, Greece.
All through the night steel by your side
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

Just curious, anyone here bought the latest Slayer XX? Your opinons?
For some reasons, I didn't buy it (as usual, money is one of the problems, but that's not the main reason...).
Luis

Post by Luis »

Ra Pariah wrote:I like very much "On the March" paperzine which comes from Thessaloniki, Greece.
I second this, even though I only ever got my hands on #6. Very good read!

Snakepit seems to be the reference in the fanzine world, but I never really searched for one too ardently.
Astaroth

Post by Astaroth »

mega_lodon wrote:Just curious, anyone here bought the latest Slayer XX? Your opinons?
For some reasons, I didn't buy it (as usual, money is one of the problems, but that's not the main reason...).
I got it simply for the Morbid MLP. Slightly overrated zine. Historically important but doesn't really offer anything else especially today in 2011.