The tracking down of the holy grail

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Dark Stranger

The tracking down of the holy grail

Post by Dark Stranger »

No doubt everyone on this forum has an ultimate wishlist of vinyl, with one clear record at the top that you would happily pay the most to own. What I'm wondering is, how many of you have actually managed to find and buy the LP that has sat at the top of your list for a long time?

My own one is the Inherent Sin EP, which has come up for sale 4 times in the past 4 years. Very hard to find, but I really want it. I'd love to hear any fun stories from people who have actually managed to cross off the very top spot of their wishlist!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I had multiple top wants last years. It changes from time to time, depending on what mood I'm in.

My top want has been Varvar - Zverinaja Bezdna Ubjot Vas for a while, but that one is on par with several others, like Rose Bayonet, Quo Vadis and lots of US metal.
Some of my wants aren't even expensive items, but they never seem to cross my path.

This been said, I have come across and bought lots of my wants (even my holy grails). Obviously some seem to be ridiculous holy grails by the standard of my present collection. When I was less in the 'know', my holy grails were some Belgian metal records, that, when looking back at it, weren't that hard to track down.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I have no Swedish top wants and so there's just no way I'd find any of my top wants in a store or at a junk sale. I'm stuck with the internet. Since there's hardly any charm in posting stories about ebay auctions, I'll settle for admitting that I've bought my two top nwobhm wants on said site; ARC - War of the Ring and DAWNWATCHER - Spellbound.

I have a few other top wants, but they are totally unrealistic, considering the amount I'm prepared to pay for any record.
Last edited by Khnud on Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
nabel

Post by nabel »

Junk sales/2hnd stores haven't been nice to me so I haven't found Crom 7" yet (+Hellion Noise+Sarcofagus 7"). Maybe someday, I won't tear my hair off because of it. Black Death LP with 7" would be nice surprise someday too.
humus

Post by humus »

My holy grail vinyl-wise never turns up. It's the first Sabbat 7". In the last ten years I've seen one on ebay and heard of three private sales. Even with unlimited budget it's very hard to track one down. Know of two copies in Belgium though.
And my holy grail shirt-wise was found last year after 5 years of intensive search: the Black shepherd demoshirt. Asked everybody I knew in Belgium about this and a few people had it but wouldn't want to part with it for any offer. Untill I remembered I had the contact of the guy who released their LP. So contacted him, went to his house and walked out with the shirt. And, on top, an original X-creta shirt. And, the cherry on the cake, all it took was a few recent Belgian metal CD's as he was just interested in hearing some new music.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Story Time... :)

One of my Top Wants for a long time was an original 1st pressing White Album version of Diamond Head's 'lightning to the nations'. Led me a merry chase for many years.

Around '97-'98 I bought a copy of the 2nd pressing from Paul Rote when he was selling off his collection. Nice copy, but I still wanted a 1st pressing. So the search continued.

In early '00 a copy was advertised on ebay from a Belgian seller. I won it for a reasonable price, but when it arrived it turned out to be a 2nd Pressing, not the first :( The auction had said 1st pressing, and i had double-checked with the seller to ensure it was 1st, not 2nd. The seller was nice about it and offered to refund the full cost since he had made a mistake. I decided to keep the record since it was actually in nicer condition than the 2nd pressing I had gotten from Rote. I traded the Rote copy to Glockose and kept looking for a 1st pressing.

Rattlehead14 auctioned his copy off around 2006-2007 and I wanted it BAD, for I knew this time it was a genuine first pressing. I bid $200, which I thought was awfuly high... and I got smoked by over $100 :( His copy did have some promo stuff with it, but still, yikes! Totally bummed. However, when I had typed 'diamond head' into the ebay search that morning, I had noticed a second copy listed. Still writhing in defeat, I checked out the second copy. Didn't know the seller, but his copy was also a genuine 1st Pressing. It didn't have the promo stuff with it, but it did have autographs on the plain white sleeve (Rattlehead's copy did not). I decided I'd go after it; it closed about 3 hours after the Rattlehead copy, and I won it for less than half the price of the Rattlehead copy! So like the mighty Phoenix, shot down in flames only to rise once again in triumph, I won it the second time around that day and lived happily ever after... until the following week when I lost more rattlehead items :lol:

It may seem a bit odd that it took me an additional 10 years to get a 1st Pressing after I got the 2nd pressing, but for a good chunk of the early-mid 00s my disposable income was very low, so I didn't get much of anything off my want list between 2001 and 2007, except when Terry Hanchin was selling off his collection in late 2003-early 2004 (I had a real paycheck in 2003 so I splurged a bit when he was selling out).

I have another tale regarding a Jaguar album that features a cameo by a Corroseum member, but my lunch break is over so that saga will have to wait for another day.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Nice stories there, as expected. Who's Terry Hanchin by the way? Did you buy from his collection privately or through ebay?

I can't tell much about my holy grail, because there are far too many of them, haha. From the records i have i would say stuff like Heathen's Rage, Strychnine or Ashbury gave me as much pleasure as possible. But there's no romantic story behind those, i just bought them from ebay when i had a chance, haha, no magic there!

At the moment there are few albums that i think i desperately need, i miss some classics, but not too many, not more then a dozen. The rest is just filling the gaps, add more obscure bands or different pressings of my favorite albums, that's all.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
deathster

Post by deathster »

I have tracked down my all ultimate wants... be it on vinyl, demo tape, shirt. So MAIN wants (defenders of the faith) I have got, everything else is secondary but still exciting.

Except for some deathzines that I am looking already 8-9 years, no luck.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Wolf - Edge Of The World

Not rare and no big story. But this was before stuff like egay got big and/or I could use it. I never ran into it in any vinyl stores or at vinyl dealers at concerts. But someone send me a list of his records for sale including this. I asked if he still had it and within a week I had bought me a copy.
I still haven't seen it for sale anywhere offline though.

I still have about 10 items that I want more than others. But I'm not looking anymore. I just buy whatever well priced beauty comes upon my path and add her to my harem.
malegys

Post by malegys »

in the very early 90s, my main wants were old Celtic Frost stuff (pic discs,poster editions etc) & i traded the Renegade 12" (White Witch w/sleeve) for the To Mega Therion LP with poster. Back then i didn't give a damn about that Renegade record,because i found it to be very boring. The other guy OBVIOUSLY got the better financial deal out of the trade, but i guess we were both very happy.
"Do you like Wenom?"
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

ME WANTS NINJA LP BADLY :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

And that Apollo Ra TESTPRESS with the purple background would be dreamy too
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:Nice stories there, as expected. Who's Terry Hanchin by the way? Did you buy from his collection privately or through ebay?
Terry played in the band Boulder. He had a nice NWOBHM collection. TMK he sold everything privately; I never saw him list any stuff on ebay, and everything I bought from him was direct sale, not auction. He contacted me after seeing me lose a copy of the Reincarnate single on ebay; he had a copy for sale, and we took it from there :) I filled in several nwobhm wants buying from him, and he was also nice enough to send me CDRs packed full of singles that I hadn't heard yet. Most of his stuff was gone by early 2004 I think. The last stuff I bought from him was in December 2003; I was about to go back to grad school and knew my finances wold be nil for the next few years, so I snagged one last pile of stuff before the tuition bills started rolling in :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

törr kladivo na carodejnice LP 1993 for me
never found one, never will? it's one of "those" monitor records.
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

solar eagle!!
in 1999 i pass up all of the available copies for $150,thinking it was too much.
i stop caring,and by 2003 i listen to it again to find out its my favorite canadian release by far AND its price had gone up by several hundred dollars.
i started seeing auctions going for 700,then 1000 dollars im like ok fuck off im never getting it
then i found the bass player ,Pinocchio! guess what,that wasnt his real name.
he sold me his own copy,plus a great post solar eagle demo for $300.
i paid gladly knowing that for ONCE the money was going to the person that created the music,not some leech like the ones we all pay up to.
That was my holy grail.I got Iron Cross (fl) and Slauter Xstroyes on originals and thats it with holy grails,music counts the most to me by far so i ll die happy without ever owning a militia or a leather nunn.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Black Axe wrote:
I still have about 10 items that I want more than others. But I'm not looking anymore. I just buy whatever well priced beauty comes upon my path and add her to my harem.
I'm with you. My holy grails were Gotham City 7" which I bought for a reasonable price and several US rarities I have in my collection now.

Wel, I'm still searching for the Rising 7" from Sweden but I don't feel like spending a 100 bucks for it. Same with some Manilla Road records.
Long Live The Loud !!!