2nd hand Metal in New York?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Hans

Post by Hans »

figured someone here would know that shop already.. too bad its not that special for metal.
Shawn

New York Record Shops

Post by Shawn »

I'm visiting the US and New York for the first time in early September and was hoping to take in some record hunting whilst staying in the Times Square area.
So is there any second hand record stores in central New York?
XCEL

Post by XCEL »

To my amazement noone answered to your question, the reasons being noone cares or noone knows!!!!!! Since the latter is impossible i will tell you that you are not supposed to find massive metal collections in the manhattan area,you will need ti browse through general interest bins BUT you are most likely to find some good stuff in there.You definetely need to visit all Academy records stores including the legendary annex in brooklyn,soho records,etc.Check this and good luck

Bleecker Street Records
239 Bleecker Street
New York, New York, U.S.A.
10014-44

Generation Records
210 Thompson Street

J&R Music World
23 Park Row

Other Music
15 E. 4th Street
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Use the search feature next time instead of creating a second thread for the same topic/question. Merged with the first thread. /Mod
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
XCEL

Post by XCEL »

Good thing the threads merged,its better this way and i can see a lot of guys share my excitement for record hunting abroad,where were you guys and been absent from the tracking and hunting thread?I am looking forward to reading your adventures while digging crates in the states (the rhyme was intentional of course!!!),cheers
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I was there 2 years ago and found absolutely nothing, zero, nada!!!!! I'm going to Chicago in 3 weeks but I don't expect to find anything there too.
Long Live The Loud !!!
outlawrecordings

Post by outlawrecordings »

Yeah, I lived in NYC for 10 years and watched the record shopping go down the tubes with my own two eyes. I would recommend enjoying the other things there are to do in the city and not bother searching for metal records. You'll find better/cheaper stuff on ebay.

From my experience, the days of 'killer record stores' in NYC are gone! The only place I've been in the last decade that still had great record stores was Japan, that's where all the great vinyl ended up! You can still find Nighttime Flyer 7"s in the bins for $10 in Osaka!

Just my two cents!
http://www.outlawrecordings.net
Hans

Post by Hans »

Going to Las Vegas again in Oktober, and also to Boston and NY.
Last time didnt find anything in Vegas, went to ZIA RECORDS, place was nice, but just nothing for me interesting.
In NY I will be checking (ofc!) the shops mentioned in this thread in Manhattan, maybe I will be lucky.
And my last question, are their shops worth visiting in Boston?
Thanks guys. happy hunting.
XCEL

Post by XCEL »

COPY PASTED FROM R.S.REVIEW.COM WITH COMMENTS TOO,HOPE IT HELPS OUT

4 Front Records
279 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
view map

Phone: 617-236-0335
E-mail: k2@4frontrecords.com
Web site: www.4frontrecords.com

Size: Small
New/Used: New
Formats: CD
Styles: Electronic, Dance, Drum & Bass
Listening Post: Unknown

Borders Books and Music
24 School Street
view map

Phone: 617-557-7188

Size: Large
Formats: CD, Videos, Books, DVD
Styles: Jazz, Country, Rock, Hip-Hop, Dance, Classical, Folk, Other, Soul, Blues, Latin, Reggae, Metal, Pop, World, R&B, Soundtracks

Broad selection in many categories. Few imports, if any. Eclectic mix of World music. High prices.
submitted by Paul Geffen, 2002-08-23 17:27:38
Report Abuse

Forgive me but, should a Borders store really be in this database?
submitted by Tremspeed, 2003-07-02 04:59:18
Report Abuse

I agree, why is this here? But I do Borders once in a while. If there's a general release on your list that you want new then this is a good place to price it. Yeah, some stuff is in the $18 region, but most is $11-14. Unlike FYE or Strawberries, Borders does have soul.
submitted by Danny, 2003-08-27 02:44:37
Report Abuse

Boston Beat Records
279 Newbury St
view map

Phone: 617-247-2428
E-mail: info@bostonbeat.com
Web site: www.bostonbeat.com

Size: Medium
Formats: Vinyl, CD, Videos
Styles: Hip-Hop, Electronic, Dance, Funk, Drum & Bass, House, Latin, Techno

store logo or photo

Can't comment much on the selection, but the staff had huge attitude when I popped in and asked if they had the latest Luke Vibert on Warp Records. "never heard of it", in snarky tone. How good can a electronic music store be if the staff has never heard of Warp?
submitted by DefCon242, 2003-11-09 19:06:36
Report Abuse

Atrociously bad staff attitudes and bad selection. I wouldn't go here if someone paid me.
submitted by BostonProducer, 2003-11-10 11:12:24
Report Abuse

CD Spins
324 Newbury Street
view map

Phone: 617-267-5955
E-mail: info@cdspins.com
Web site: www.cdspins.com

New/Used: Used
Formats: CD, Videos, DVD
Styles: Punk Rock, Jazz, Indie Rock, Country, Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Dance, Classical, Folk, Other, Soul, Blues, House, Reggae, Metal, Pop, World, Techno, Soundtracks

Although the selection is middle of the road (and no vinyl), they are fantastic about buying just about anything you bring them. Even if the disc in question was used as a coaster, they will at least give you $.50 for it. Also have a CD refinishing service.
submitted by James Long, 2003-08-20 11:43:36
Report Abuse

I liked it - they still have a used CD singles section, while many stores don't anymore. And very reasonably priced. Their markdown section is fantastic.
submitted by Tony, 2003-09-25 09:46:32
Report Abuse

In Your Ear
957 Commonwealth Ave.
view map

Phone: 617-787-9755
E-mail: cdz@iye.com
Web site: www.iye.com

New/Used: New & Used
Formats: Vinyl, CD, Books
Styles: Punk Rock, Jazz, Indie Rock, Rock, Other, Funk, Soul, Blues

Crowded grubby basement with tons of old worn vinyl. No great rarities. Tough to browse. Prices are OK.
submitted by Paul Geffen, 2002-07-22 12:43:33
Report Abuse

I'll second Paul on that - it's pretty picked over, although it looks quite appetizing at first glance. It's very hit and miss. Portable record player friendly.
submitted by Andrew Schrock, 2002-08-04 21:54:22
Report Abuse

Also referred to (by some) as Up Your A** Records. If you can get past the wave of attitude that threatens to block you at the door, maybe you'll find something good. They don't even bother making fun of you a la "High Fidelity", they just glower at you then roll their eyes when you come up to the counter. Don't bother asking what's wrong with that 'needs repair' tape deck you want to buy, they will inform you that "YOU probably aren't qualified to fix it."
submitted by James Long, 2003-08-20 11:55:31
Report Abuse

Visited when in town recently. I second the thing about the staff attitude problem. I asked what they were playing and they told me it was "so obscure I would never have heard of it"! Turns out it was Head Machine who I had heard of but I was so shocked by their rudeness that I decided not to buy the $300-400 worth of records I'd picked out and promptly left. Avoid.
submitted by Tom, 2004-08-16 14:56:33
Report Abuse

I can understand what everyone means by the attitude. It might have something to do with the college atmosphere there. There's a stuck-up kind of "we're better than you" attitude. Although, someof the people there are not so bad. A few. I find the biggest problem here is that a lot of their stuff--lots of more popular artists--is behind the counter in boxes marked "Led Zeppelin", "Tori Amos", "Hendrix", etc. And, uh-oh, that forces you to ask them to take the box down so you can comb through it. And if you decide you don't want anything, you get a big sigh when they have to put it back. Having said that, well, it IS a used store and so has that grubby feel. Their vinyl selection is pretty good, but I just wish their 45s were beter organized. Also, there's a whole bin of albums for 50 cents by generally familiar artists. Most are in good condition. Oh yeah....don't forget to feed the parking meters, and DON'T park next to one that's out of order. You WILL get a ticket. Happy hunting.
submitted by Rob, 2004-10-30 19:06:35
Report Abuse

I visit Boston at least once a year (in part to go record shopping) and oddly enough I've never had a problem with staff attitude at IYE. Maybe I've been lucky, but they were very cool when it came to filling me in on HP LOVECRAFT and the first BLACK SABBATH album (both of which were playing in store.) It's true that the selection is hit or miss, but I still make the effort to stop by each time.
submitted by Joe Neff, 2004-12-24 19:43:20
Report Abuse

Looney Tunes
1106 Boylston Street
view map

Phone: 617-247-2238
E-mail: vinyl@us1.channel1.com

Formats: Vinyl, CD
Styles: Jazz, Collectibles, Other, Blues

Like the 'tunes store in Cambridge, this one just doesn't care about its maintenance. Very picked-through, albeit large selection. Many, many unfiled LPs in the rear of the store. Pretty pitiful CD selection. Portable record-player friendly.
submitted by Andrew Schrock, 2002-08-04 22:42:18
Report Abuse

Some very good out-of-print records but I had to dig for about 2 hours (with help from two friends) to find them. Prices on the things cheap-fair. I was on a roadtrip from Canada and this is the only place where I found the Boston-related bands I was looking for; Gang Green, Nervous Eaters, Jonathan Richman, Mission of Burma, etc. In addition to some good records by Kraftwerk, Killing Joke, and Wire. Would be a 5 if it didn't take me all day to find them, but then again, if they were in order I probably wouldn't own them right now. As a warning, DO NOT EAT THE PIZZA NEXT DOOR.
submitted by J. Frank Parnell, 2003-01-29 01:21:36
Report Abuse

I agree that the Cd selection is absolutely pathetic in addition to being insanely overpriced, considering that most of them are used. There is kind of a dank tired atmosphere, but the employees are generally kind. The record collection is large, but doesn't seem to change to much. Also, SERIOUSLY do not eat at little stevie's pizza next door. Seriously. If you are craving a slice go three doors down to crazy doughs.
submitted by Sam, 2006-12-27 18:19:54
Report Abuse

Mars Records
299 Newbury Street
view map

Phone: 617-266-4270
E-mail: lomag000@aol.com
Web site: www.marsrecords.com

Formats: Vinyl, CD
Styles: Jazz, Experimental, Rock, Electronic, Folk, Other, Soul, Blues, Reggae, Pop, World

Mars used to be in Central Square, Cambridge, during what I and my friends can only describe as the "golden years". We pulled all sorts of great indie rock, hiphop, and experimental LPs out of that store. Then it moved to Newbury Street, and although the "just in" arrivals turnover is still good - you're likely to come up on a decent hiphop or punk LP, but be be prepared to pay market rate instead of the old bargain days. Pricing is fair, but not exorbant. Their selection of new (not used) could be better. Good selection of CDs in the front room of all genres. The owner is a very nice chap, reduced an LP on more than one occaision for me on account of less-than-great condition or if it was an expensive LP I was talking him down on. For Boston proper, this is a very good store.
submitted by Andrew Schrock, 2002-08-04 22:02:02
Report Abuse

Excellent store. Was on a roadtrip from Canada and this was the best store I encountered in Boston. Prices are pretty fair and the selection is quite good. Great rare-ish punk and experimental records. I asked for a Urinals record and he had one! (the first time in history that has ever happend). Also found some rare Kraftwerk, Big Black, and early SST Releases. In addition, got cheap noise stuff on Vermiform and Load and some good obscure $1 singles. The dude behind the counter (Tim?) knew his stuff and didn't have any of that macho hipster attitude, so that gets bonus points right there.
submitted by J. Frank Parnell, 2003-01-29 01:14:24
Report Abuse

I'll ditto the previous two reviews. Preferred this store in its Cambridge location, but it still carries a good stock at reasonable prices. Not a huge new collection, but what is there, is choice. Best thing about the store is that it carries the goods without the attitude. Have a question, need a suggestion: the staff is super friendly. I received a great recommendation for a Gary Numan album (his first band's eponymous "Tubeway Army") the same day that my girlfriend chatted the storekeeper up about a Supremes CD collection. Definitely my favorite shop in Boston proper.
submitted by Christian Housh, 2003-07-11 14:48:51
Report Abuse

As mentioned, this is easily the best place in Boston at the moment. I have followed them around since their obscure Allston location, and have rarely been disappointed. Staff is friendly and helpful - when selling, they will gladly tell you why they are paying what they are, and always more than any of the other stores that buy.
submitted by James Long, 2003-08-20 12:40:29
Report Abuse

This store has closed it's doors as of Jan. 2004...I believe they are still operating on the web though I can not confirm this.
submitted by Rrose Selavy, 2004-03-13 12:38:45
Report Abuse

Newbury Comics
232 Newbury Street
view map

Phone: 617-236-4930
E-mail: staff@newbury.com
Web site: www.newbury.com

Size: Large
Formats: CD, Videos, T-shirts, Posters, Books
Styles: Punk Rock, Jazz, Experimental, Indie Rock, Country, Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Dance, Classical, Folk, Other, Funk, Soul, Blues, Drum & Bass, House, Latin, Reggae, Metal, Pop, World

Imports and rarities, mostly new stuff, some cheap used discs.
submitted by Paul Geffen, 2002-07-22 12:56:14
Report Abuse

Way way way way over-hyped... Nothing exceptional at all, just your standard trendy indie-rock faire at chain-store prices. Actually, it kind of reminds me of a small Virgin, even the staff...
submitted by J. Frank Parnell, 2003-01-29 01:05:29
Report Abuse

In fact, the prices here always beat Tower or Virgin with few exceptions. The stock is pretty good, with only the now-defunct Cambridge HMV beating them on import CDs. Also a nice selection of new vinyl, from local 7"s to big major lable reissues. Used prices are a bit high, though there are occasionally treasures (like when they cleaned out their MFSL stock!)
submitted by James Long, 2003-08-20 15:23:42
Report Abuse

Nuggets
486 Commonwealth Avenue
view map

Phone: 617-536-0679
E-mail: nuggetsrecords@hotmail.com
Web site: www.nuggetsrecords.com

Formats: Vinyl, CD, Videos, Books
Styles: Jazz, Indie Rock, Collectibles, Country, Rock, Folk, Other, Funk, Soul, Blues

Falls victim to the same dusty-old-selection problem as a few other stores, but periodically you see evidence of a recently-liquidated collection and can find some fantastic stuff. Have lots of deals and specials ("33 1/3 off vinyl") and some oddball stuff like Laserdiscs, RCA Videodiscs, and others.
submitted by James Long, 2003-08-20 12:36:33
Report Abuse

Overall, a pretty good store. Good hours, too. A nice selection of vinyl and CDs with a better than average selection of imports. They generally place the inlay card from the CDs into a plastic sleeve, which makes it pretty simple to thumb through the bin. Also, if the CD is new, they'll put a yellow card in the bin with the title and check off whether it's a promo, what country, single/full legth/promo, etc. Only thing is, you have to wait for them to search for the CD when you go up to the counter with the CD booklets and cards. Word to the wise: Look through the CDs, bring the CD booklets and cards to the counter, then look through the vinyl. The CDs will be ready for you when you check out. I guess I would say the place is pretty well kept up for a used store. As with any Boston store, be careful about parking. You may think you're getting a freebie parking next to a broken/out-of-order meter. Watch it! They WILL ticket you anyway. Be prepared to circle the block a few times for a spot. In general, I think you'll find this store worth the parking frustration. Also, on a related note, there used to be a phenominal used store just one block away on the same side of the street called Planet Records. THIS was a 5 star store. They unfortunately experienced a fire several years ago, but I think they are re-opening again somewhere in Boston. Those of you who have been there may want to look into this as it was a great used/new store.
submitted by Rob, 2004-10-30 19:41:35
Report Abuse

Orpheus Performing Arts
362 Commonwealth Ave.
view map

Phone: 617-247-7200

New/Used: Used
Formats: Vinyl, CD, Videos, Books
Styles: Classical
Hans

Post by Hans »

Thanks Xcel, going to make a selection, and will post finds when back.
jnfernal

Heavy metal shops and bar in New York?

Post by jnfernal »

My best friend is going to New York on holiday on October 1st

Do you have any suggestion for good (and cheap) heavy metal shops and bar in New Jersey and New York City? Second hand CDs and good bar/venues

thanx :D
Avenger

Re: Heavy metal shops and bar in New York?

Post by Avenger »

jnfernal wrote:My best friend is going to New York on holiday on October 1st

Do you have any suggestion for good (and cheap) heavy metal shops and bar in New Jersey and New York City? Second hand CDs and good bar/venues

thanx :D
Avenger wrote:Use the search feature next time instead of creating a second thread for the same topic/question. Merged with the first thread. /Mod
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

FWIW, if you want to take a 5hr trip up to Rochester, there is The Record Archive (they have two locations. One on Mt Hope Ave and another on WHitney Rd??? Also, a few miles out of town in Webster, NY is the famous Heavy Metal Records which is probably the best damn record store in the Northeast for rare Metal vinyl and just about any CD you can think off. Prices are very good, you could spend a day there and $5k easily
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

thanx, I'll write down the address!

:wink:
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

Here is Records Archives locations, they must have moved one of them

1394 Mt Hope Ave, Rochester, NY
33 Rockwood St, Rochester, NY

Heavy Metal Records

75 W Main St, Webster, NY