Most difficult band to collect?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

If you count demo tapes & re-issues I don't think I've got a single band collection complete. :D
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Black Axe wrote:If you count demo tapes & re-issues I don't think I've got a single band collection complete. :D
I'm in the same boat.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
jared

Post by jared »

if we're counting non-metal bands, i'd say Devil Doll would be pretty difficult:
The first work of Devil Doll was The Mark of the Beast, recorded in Tivoli Studios, Ljubljana in the last half of 1987. Amongst the sound technicians were Jurij Toni (most known for working with Laibach), who would work with the band for the next ten years. The Mark of the Beast was finished, and a single copy pressed, in February 1988. The cover to the album was painted by Mr. Doctor himself, who keeps the album in his home to this day. No other copies exist: "This is a painting, not a graphic work".
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

If you want to own every single item by a band, then 'Maiden is probably the hardest because they have a ton of stuff to get and a ton of people collecting them. The bulk volume of stuff will require a lot of storage space, and the price tags on many items are also problematic.
However, you can assemble a very nice 'Maiden collection without it being complete.
Other bands, it's hard to own ANYTHING by them. Kenny's Legend pic is a good example- most people don't own a single item by the band. Thus, i'd have to vote for a small-band with a very obscure catalog. Imagine trying to collect a band like Liquid Earth (the auction that we all recently watched with rapt attention)? There are only 2 items to get, but for one there are only 4-5 known copies, and for the other there's only 1 known copy! That means, unless more copies come to light, that a maximum of 6 people can own an original piece of Liquid Earth vinyl. I'd say putting together a really nice 'Maiden collection is a breeze compared to owning even half of the LE material! :)

I'm not a completist-collector; the only band I'm even remotely completist about is Armoured Angel. Otherwise, I just stick to buying records I like and can afford. It doesn't make for a very impression collection, but I like listening to 'em :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
snaps666

Post by snaps666 »

If you have unlimited amount of money and time, it would not be a problem to create a 1500+ items Maiden collection just by browsing ebay etc.
Keir

Post by Keir »

BloodOfChrist wrote:Some bands have huge discographys and getting them all is a bitch, but some bands only have a few releases but getting them is impossible.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw this thread. BTW, since your pic seems to be of bands with Legend members, you'll also need the Judge 7". :P
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Collecting all pressings of "Ample Destruction" can be a pain in the ass. Does someone have them? Please post in "Top items".
Long Live The Loud !!!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

nightsblood wrote:the only band I'm even remotely completist about is Armoured Angel
Do you have the 1995 promo tape? or the Mysterium Video??
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

I like this Ozzy-collection here: http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ozzylloscope

It's not finished yet, he's adding stuff there almost daily.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Korgüll wrote:
nightsblood wrote:the only band I'm even remotely completist about is Armoured Angel
Do you have the 1995 promo tape? or the Mysterium Video??
Nope, still missing those. I have a dub of the '95 tape, but not an original.
The video isn't a standard VHS format is it? I'd pick it up given a chance, but then I guess I'd have to buy an Australian VCR if I wanted to watch it :lol:
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Shiremen

Post by Shiremen »

On my website www.sabbath.se I have listed more than 2000 items with Black Sabbath. No bootlegs whatsoever. I know for sure that there are tons of things I haven't listed yet. My appreciation is that there are more than 5000 items to collect with Black Sabbath, not including bootlegs. I used to own 200+ CDs, 200 vinyl singles, 200+ LPs and maybe 50 various objects. Now my goal is to own all the Paranoid LPs that exist. I have 25 out of 100 so far :)
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

nightsblood wrote:The video isn't a standard VHS format is it? I'd pick it up given a chance, but then I guess I'd have to buy an Australian VCR if I wanted to watch it :lol:
The video is VHS, but PAL format. You guys have NTSC over there, but most VCR players these days are PAL/NTSC compatible i think... so it should work??
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

Rubber.
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Korgüll wrote:
nightsblood wrote:The video isn't a standard VHS format is it? I'd pick it up given a chance, but then I guess I'd have to buy an Australian VCR if I wanted to watch it :lol:
The video is VHS, but PAL format. You guys have NTSC over there, but most VCR players these days are PAL/NTSC compatible i think... so it should work??
Hmm, I'm not sure. I suck at TV-related technology. I'd buy it for the right price even if I can't play it
-Becky
Keir

Post by Keir »

Korgüll wrote:The video is VHS, but PAL format. You guys have NTSC over there, but most VCR players these days are PAL/NTSC compatible i think... so it should work??
DVD players yes, but not VCRs.